Buzzcam GPS Booster Opinion

Reaction score
Hello all!
Saw this Buzzcam GPS Booster on the kitchen table (Thanks Simon) that looks pretty cool and I was wondering how anyone that has one likes it. My neighbors and I all have 1.5 acres or more but there are a lot of large old trees around and when I want to go out for a quick fly around on occasion I have a hard time getting 7 satellites at ground level. So I end up going up 75 feet or so until I do get a GPS lock even when my GPS Plan App says there are 12 or more available. Don't really like doing that and it would be great if this simple mod would help out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and happy safe flying!

Bought mine back in march and works great Mike .Have did the foil then tried the coppor but settled with this .
Got mine here http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...d-Phantom-2-/252039967599?hash=item3aaec0b36f
Looks like this FullSizeRender.jpg Is easy to put in and helped me getting sats fast and have got as many as this 15 sats.PNG .
Well worth the money IMO :)

Reactions: Mike Drone7
Especially if you work on your P2, some of the shielding surrounding the GPS can get frayed/loosened/etc, exposing it to more interference from electronics.

Open and check if this is the case. I'm in Philly area too, and I've never had any GPS issues. Sometimes it takes a while to acquire enough satellites if you are right by the trees. It's not nearly as quick as my P3 in getting satellites. But it gets there. 2 minutes max.

IIRC, some people have done the same "mod" by just using some aluminum foil and making sure the original shielding is properly secured in place.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFw5ewWwpop9Y6VgA0uof3pPEj69w There's a template in this thread that makes it easy if ya want to try all the different ways to improve your GPS and says it's for the copper but ya can use the tinfoil instead. I have even used both at the same time just to see if that gave me even more . I have found many of my mods in the P2V+ section as they basically the same except for the camera's and the way they receive the Wifi signal . You also can change the antenna on top of your GPS puck and has helped some and tried that but it didn't change anything with mine so I just went back to the stock one . What ever you do I found that it is good to put a little hot glue on the side of the connecter that goes to the GPS just to make sure it stays tight as that has caused some to have issues .

Bought mine back in march and works great Mike .Have did the foil then tried the coppor but settled with this .
Got mine here http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...d-Phantom-2-/252039967599?hash=item3aaec0b36f
Looks like this View attachment 27691 Is easy to put in and helped me getting sats fast and have got as many as this View attachment 27692 .
Thanks Dirk. I've never had more than 11 at one time that I have noticed. I regard to your other post thanks for the advise and I think I'll go straight away to the Buzzcam insert. Can't beat the price or the ease of installation. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
Especially if you work on your P2, some of the shielding surrounding the GPS can get frayed/loosened/etc, exposing it to more interference from electronics.

Open and check if this is the case. I'm in Philly area too, and I've never had any GPS issues. Sometimes it takes a while to acquire enough satellites if you are right by the trees. It's not nearly as quick as my P3 in getting satellites. But it gets there. 2 minutes max.

IIRC, some people have done the same "mod" by just using some aluminum foil and making sure the original shielding is properly secured in place.
Thanks for the response and info! Where in the Philly area are you? I'm in Bensalem.

Thanks Dirk. I've never had more than 11 at one time that I have noticed. I regard to your other post thanks for the advise and I think I'll go straight away to the Buzzcam insert. Can't beat the price or the ease of installation. ;)
Well after I tried all the other ways and they did work I just found that one to be the easiest and like it . I wasn't really having any
issue to start with but just trying different stuff cause that's what I like to do .I guess where you at has a lot to do with how fast you get sats but here with that by the time I have powered up everything and get the app open I normally have around 8 or 9 . and then as I go up so do they .

Looks like this View attachment 27691 Is easy to put in and helped me getting sats fast and have got as many as this View attachment 27692 .
Just bought one! 8/26 to 9/4 delivery, not bad from Porky land:) I really should be working LOL. Not screwing around here but when you have a home office there are perks sometimes:D

Just bought one! 8/26 to 9/4 delivery, not bad from Porky land:) I really should be working LOL. Not screwing around here but when you have a home office there are perks sometimes:D
Mine got here quicker than I thought it would . Surprised me .
I like those perks as I have them also ;)

Well after I tried all the other ways and they did work I just found that one to be the easiest and like it . I wasn't really having any
issue to start with but just trying different stuff cause that's what I like to do .I guess where you at has a lot to do with how fast you get sats but here with that by the time I have powered up everything and get the app open I normally have around 8 or 9 . and then as I go up so do they .
Usually when I'm away from the trees I get the same by the time I power up I have 7 or 8. But the backyard with all the trees I sit there twiddling my thumbs waiting.

Usually when I'm away from the trees I get the same by the time I power up I have 7 or 8. But the backyard with all the trees I sit there twiddling my thumbs waiting.
Well some cover will still make it slower but the booster might make it quicker . I'm all clear where I fly everyday .

Well some cover will still make it slower but the booster might make it quicker . I'm all clear where I fly everyday .
I have some places that are pretty clear but have to hop in the truck and drive there. Hope it helps with getting a sat lock quicker here in the back yard when I just want to head out for a quick fly around near sunset or if I take one of the mandatory breaks during the work day like I'm on now;) I live in a really old part of town and there are huge old oak trees all over the place. Cool little fact about our town is there's a place called Growden Mansion which according to legend is where Ben Franklin flew his kite!

I have some places that are pretty clear but have to hop in the truck and drive there. Hope it helps with getting a sat lock quicker here in the back yard when I just want to head out for a quick fly around near sunset or if I take one of the mandatory breaks during the work day like I'm on now;) I live in a really old part of town and there are huge old oak trees all over the place. Cool little fact about our town is there's a place called Growden Mansion which according to legend is where Ben Franklin flew his kite!
Well you'll see soon enough and don't be tying no string to yours and flying when it's lighting ta see what happens like he did :eek:

250px-BensalemPA_GrowdenMansion.jpg
Yep

That be it and it's right around the corner. When you pull into our town there's a sign that says established 1692 with Ben's head and a kite on it. About 1/4 mile up the street there is an old cemetery that has a bunch of revolutionary war vets buried in it. No chance I'll be outside with my bird if there's any chance of rain;) It stays warm and comfy in it's case in the corner of my office. Which now looks more like a drone work shop than an office LOL.

Mine got here quicker than I thought it would . Surprised me .
I like those perks as I have them also ;)
Your not kidding about this guying shipping things out quick. I just ordered the GPS shield on Monday and it got here today all the way from the UK:) Wish Keri shipped things out that fast LOL. Gonna put the shield in tomorrow and J Dots yaw switch and then head over to a south New Jersey club fun fly!

Oh by the way cool new avatar!

Your not kidding about this guying shipping things out quick. I just ordered the GPS shield on Monday and it got here today all the way from the UK:) Wish Keri shipped things out that fast LOL. Gonna put the shield in tomorrow and J Dots yaw switch and then head over to a south New Jersey club fun fly!

Oh by the way cool new avatar!
Yea he's a fast shipper and is really easy to put in . I used a hair dryer to form it a little but just don't get it to hot .
I have had this avatar awhile as a member made it for me awhile back . I used to change them every day but it got old .
Enjoy the Switch and just take ya time and will be easy . Look in my Media and ya see a 360 as slow as I could go .

Yea he's a fast shipper and is really easy to put in . I used a hair dryer to form it a little but just don't get it to hot .
I have had this avatar awhile as a member made it for me awhile back . I used to change them every day but it got old .
Enjoy the Switch and just take ya time and will be easy . Look in my Media and ya see a 360 as slow as I could go .
I didn't open the e]envelope it came in right away thinking it was junk mail. Tossed it on the kitchen table and then after dinner opened t up and holy cow there it was.
As always thanks Dirks for your tip I'm headed out to the work shop in a few minutes to get started:)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl