Battery Storage when not in use.

The charge cycle .... so far as I have observed - each charge of the battery does not automatically increment the charge cycle total by 1.
DJI have said in answer to various direct emails to me - that a DJI 3 battery is good for 200 cycles. That is plainly ridiculous when average LiPo is good for over 1000 when cared for ....

Observations now indicate that cycle increment may actually be a little more clever and take account of part charging. My 3 battery's have each definitely been used more than cycles indicate. For one example - cycles indicate just over 20 - but I know that pack has had more than 30.

Nigel

Reactions: jwmcgrath
The charge cycle .... so far as I have observed - each charge of the battery does not automatically increment the charge cycle total by 1.
DJI have said in answer to various direct emails to me - that a DJI 3 battery is good for 200 cycles. That is plainly ridiculous when average LiPo is good for over 1000 when cared for ....

Observations now indicate that cycle increment may actually be a little more clever and take account of part charging. My 3 battery's have each definitely been used more than cycles indicate. For one example - cycles indicate just over 20 - but I know that pack has had more than 30.

Nigel

Agreed and i also noted this myslef, i dont dji always count 1 charge as a charge..

Its also worth noting that as far as I can tell it is ONLY GO app that may apply the cut-off at 200 cycles ... my info is that Litchi will carry on using the battery after this and continue till battery is really past its usefulness.

Before anyone starts crying ... Fall from sky etc. .... if the battery is getting close to end of life - you will notice that in flight time reductions approaching the point.

200 cycles is a terribly low number to work to ...

Nigel

Do wil dji app, actually stop you from flying?

Its also worth noting that as far as I can tell it is ONLY GO app that may apply the cut-off at 200 cycles ... my info is that Litchi will carry on using the battery after this and continue till battery is really past its usefulness.

Before anyone starts crying ... Fall from sky etc. .... if the battery is getting close to end of life - you will notice that in flight time reductions approaching the point.

200 cycles is a terribly low number to work to ...

Nigel

So you're saying that DJI told you that the batteries will no longer function after 200 cycles? Am I reading that right?

Reactions: Dazzauk
So you're saying that DJI told you that the batteries will no longer function after 200 cycles? Am I reading that right?

That's what they said ... but it became confusing when another TECH replied contradicting the other TECH ...

First said yes that when Cycle gets to 200 - it registers Life as Zero. Model will not fly with a Zero battery. I questioned that asking for definite statement and confirmation.
Another TECH answered and said that Cycle number will accumulate and Life will reduce %. But that Life was removed from GO app.
I gave up then because this was not first time DJI TECH had given me conflicting information on various other questions as well.

So like everyone else - I wait to see what is reality !!

Nigel

That's what they said ... but it became confusing when another TECH replied contradicting the other TECH ...

First said yes that when Cycle gets to 200 - it registers Life as Zero. Model will not fly with a Zero battery. I questioned that asking for definite statement and confirmation.
Another TECH answered and said that Cycle number will accumulate and Life will reduce %. But that Life was removed from GO app.
I gave up then because this was not first time DJI TECH had given me conflicting information on various other questions as well.

So like everyone else - I wait to see what is reality !!

Nigel

That's it I guess... what and see what happens. I'll use the battery until the bird won't take off or until I have a reason not to.

Hum, the 200 cycles think again. :rolleyes:

All that haven't followed these two threads, I encourage.

P3S Charging or Not?

DJI statement of Battery life ......

Rod :D
Many factors influence LiPo Battery life. Not charging as fully, not discharging as fully will increase the number of cycles significantly, charging and discharging at lower rates and storing at lower temperatures will cause less loss of mAh with time. As a consequence I take mine out of the AC and store them in the refrigerator (not the freezer), at just over half voltage, and check that voltage now and then.

So, that means the batteries are left fully charged for 7 days. No disrespect meant, but 7 days is far too long to leave a LIPO battery fully charged. Lipo battery's should not be left fully charged for more than 24 hours.

Bud

Because if I fly on the weekend and drain them, they shouldn't be left drained so I'll charge them. That's Sunday night. If I don't fly the following weekend, that's 7 days, and they will start discharging on day 8...

Jeff

Reactions: Quamera
24hrs is good of course - none can argue that .... but 48hrs is not a problem.

If you know you are going flying 1 or 2 days later - it does not hurt to leave batterys ready to go. But do not make a habit of it.

I set my DJI batterys for 3 days - but I actually use them more often than that ... the 3 day auto-discharge is a safety measure for me.

Nigel

Hi Nigel;

I would agree that 48 hours isn't too harmful to the battery as long as one doesn't make a habit of it.

Bud

24hrs is good of course - none can argue that .... but 48hrs is not a problem.

If you know you are going flying 1 or 2 days later - it does not hurt to leave batterys ready to go. But do not make a habit of it.

I set my DJI batterys for 3 days - but I actually use them more often than that ... the 3 day auto-discharge is a safety measure for me.

Nigel

I knew I was not going to be flying for a spell. 9.5 months now. My batts were set at the default (10) and have been sitting ever since. I'm about ready to fly. Curious to see how they handle the full charge and first run.

Many factors influence LiPo Battery life. Not charging as fully, not discharging as fully will increase the number of cycles significantly, charging and discharging at lower rates and storing at lower temperatures will cause less loss of mAh with time. As a consequence I take mine out of the AC and store them in the refrigerator (not the freezer), at just over half voltage, and check that voltage now and then.
Hum, I guess I was off topic, my focus was the 200 cycle stories and will DJI still let you use them after that period.
Oops

Rod

Lipos are probably damaged more often by too low of storage and/or heat and/or in a state of constant charge. If being in full charge for more than 24-48 hours was really a huge problem, default discharge time wouldn't be 10 days. If you kept topping them off every day when they were already full, that would be the problem. fortunately the intelligent batteries won't let you charge them more if they are already full.

Default 10 days flies in the face of all the information about storage of LiPo's. It is simply too long and can only help cause you to buy more battery's in the long run.

As to intelligence battery's not allowing you to charge full battery .... any LiPo charger with any standard AND DJI battery will terminate charge at full. The 'intelligent battery' only does it because DJI supply you a CV power brick instead of a charger.

Trouble is DJI using such a battery system to avoid problems of 'idiots' being stupid with the LiPo's has also created a situation where people assume a lot ....
Understanding the world of LiPo's is worth the time. It soon shows that a little more thought in settings would repay in better life / performance of what is an expensive battery.

I appreciate that people as I and many others have used LiPo's for years - built up knowledge and hopefully we can pass this on to others.... to use or not.

Nigel

Reactions: Quamera

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures