Autopilot app, autoflight logic

I didn't have DJI GO closed, the phantom would take off and do a wide orbit type flight no where near the first waypoint.
Running DJI GO in the background should not affect the flight performance. The usual effect will be that you can't get connected to the aircraft in autopilot. I think this issue is actually just the same thing as the next issue. You should terminate GO when using Autopilot though.

at each waypoint it would stop, then fly back the way it came about 25ft or so, pause again, then continue on to the next waypoint.
The most likely explanation is that the curves are too tight for the programmed speed and Movement Responsiveness setting, and the aircraft is overshooting. You either need to widen the turn, lower the speed, or decrease the Movement Responsiveness setting.

all the missions I flew today I "engaged" with the phantom on the ground, letting Autopilot do an auto take off. I have seen several people say they only engage after they are in flight, should I switch to doing that?
Taking off first is definitely safer, but Autopilot does have Altitude Priority to help make auto-takeoff safer than most other apps. In a nutshell, Altitude Priority will cause the aircraft to rise straight up after take-off until it reaches an altitude that is close enough to the target altitude (per the setting) before performing lateral motion.

The only way to really relax, is to not use Autopilot in waypoint mode, and stick to other modes with Autopilot or stick with DJI GO, until DJI releases a firmware that corrects the SDK issue.
To be clear, all Modes are affected, but probably what you mean is none of the other Modes encourage long-range flight?

The drone will proceed straight to the first waypoint and may not reach a safe altitude (obstacle clearance, including humans) on its vertical path to this waypoint.
It will head to the first waypoint after respecting Altitude Priority.

Reactions: LanaRain
To be clear, all Modes are affected, but probably what you mean is none of the other Modes encourage long-range flight?

Yes, correct, long-range flight, that's obviously where the biggest threat for an RC Signal failure would be.

The most likely explanation is that the curves are too tight for the programmed speed and Movement Responsiveness setting, and the aircraft is overshooting. You either need to widen the turn, lower the speed, or decrease the Movement Responsiveness setting.

Thank you for the advice, but I cannot find the Movement Responsiveness setting anywhere on autopilot, I even switched to advanced mode and I didn't see it. Am I missing something?

Thank you for the advice, but I cannot find the Movement Responsiveness setting anywhere on autopilot, I even switched to advanced mode and I didn't see it. Am I missing something?
It is in the settings dialog (accessed from the main screen).

Reactions: Jack Ley
2. I've not had my drone behave the way you describe during my waypoint missions. I'd also like to see you mission profile to investigate

Yeager, here are some screen shots of my flight plan when the phantom acted up. (using an Iphone 6)

IMG_1652.PNG IMG_1655.PNG

This is a firmware issue that is out of our control and that DJI has committed to fixing. If you are not flying near the edge of signal range, this does not affect you, as the FAQ states. Considering what the signal range is on these aircraft, it is hard to find use cases that aren't illegal where this issue will present itself, at least in the US.
Isn't the phrase you are looking for "inconsistent with FAA Guidelines" and not "illegal"? :rolleyes:

I always calibrate my compass through the DJI GO app before I fly.
Repeated compass calibrations before every flight, unless you are more than 100 miles away from your last good compass calibration, are just asking for trouble. You are far more likely to introduce an error at your new unfamiliar flight location than to prevent problems. It only takes one bad new compass calibration to cause a crash. As some wise oracle once said, "If it ain't broke, don't keep fixin' it!" ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Ley
Isn't the phrase you are looking for "inconsistent with FAA Guidelines" and not "illegal"? :rolleyes:

BLOS is clearly illegal in the States for fun or hire. Please follow the rules of our safe NAS as we all want to to be able for fun and hire for years to come :)

Just tried the auto pilot app today. I like it a lot. Tell me if i am paranoid???
This app seems to drain my batteries faster than the DJI app. is this true or am i crazy??
flight tonight with a fully charged battery only 7 minutes.

Yeager, here are some screen shots of my flight plan when the phantom acted up. (using an Iphone 6)
At 6 mph, a constant height of 128 ft, and with those waypoints, I don't see any reason why the drone shouldn't execute the mission smoothly, unless there's a very strong wind. @autoflightlogic will be able to answer you more definite, I think.

Just tried the auto pilot app today. I like it a lot. Tell me if i am paranoid???
This app seems to drain my batteries faster than the DJI app. is this true or am i crazy??
flight tonight with a fully charged battery only 7 minutes.
That doesn't seem normal. I highly doubt the app itself would cause this much of a quick drop if your battery was fully charged. Only seven minutes meaning what- till first low battery warning or what? I would be paranoid if I were you, about the battery, if you did nothing unusual about charging it. Also, what phantom firmware are you running?

Yes till first low power warning. The battery was 3/4 charged and I charged it till it was fully charged. Maybe it was something I did. I will try it again tomorrow with another battery just to make sure.

BLOS is clearly illegal in the States for fun or hire. Please follow the rules of our safe NAS as we all want to to be able for fun and hire for years to come :)
Well, I certainly won't be relying upon your say so. Guidelines are not laws. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Yeager74
At 6 mph, a constant height of 128 ft, and with those waypoints, I don't see any reason why the drone shouldn't execute the mission smoothly, unless there's a very strong wind. @autoflightlogic will be able to answer you more definite, I think.

Yeager, here is the video of both my missions using waypoints.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka