Autopilot Orbit Mode Question

J&L

Reaction score
So yesterday I went into town and flew around the local water tower. City website says its 160'. Before i left the house I setup Orbit mode in Autopilot placed the center directly ontop of the tower and then drove to town to fly the mission. Setup at 300' in altitude and 280' in radius. When i flew the mission it flew like a weird oblonged shape and the center of the tower wasnt even centered. Am I doing the orbit mode correctly. It takes forver to load video so no vids but I have them. I enclosed a photo just for reference what I am flying around. I took this photo flying manually. Thanks for any help
Check out this Autopilot Flight Plan:
Flight Plan - Autoflight Logic

DJI_0066.JPG

Was it windy? The wind can cause it to fly off center and not an actual circle. Be sure to enable "Adaptive Horizontal Power" under settings and over time, it will learn to correct for wind.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: J&L
Very little wind calm to 2mph if that. I also have the Adaptive Horizontal Power enabled.

It's all done via GPS & commands from the DJI GO app, so it should be a perfect circle. Only thing I can think of is that your radius may have been a bit large. You noted 280', which means you would have set the Phantom over the towers centre and then backed off 280' which is a big circle. The speed that you set the Phantom at to complete the circle may have been a factor as well as when you backed off the Phantom from the tower did you ensure the tower was dead centre in your camera's view before you hit start?

Try it a few time with different objects at a smaller radius and see if all is well. Just sounds like one of many variables noted above may have affected your outcome.

Im uploading to you tube in just a sec but it will take forever to to upload the 1min section. and I wil include a link to HD

It's all done via GPS & commands from the DJI GO app, so it should be a perfect circle. Only thing I can think of is that your radius may have been a bit large. You noted 280', which means you would have set the Phantom over the towers centre and then backed off 280' which is a big circle. The speed that you set the Phantom at to complete the circle may have been a factor as well as when you backed off the Phantom from the tower did you ensure the tower was dead centre in your camera's view before you hit start?

Try it a few time with different objects at a smaller radius and see if all is well. Just sounds like one of many variables noted above may have affected your outcome.
Thank you. to be honest I setup the mission from the house and had the POI the center of the tower. I didnt set it by flying above the tower and then backing off for the radius

I am about to leave and go back to town and do the same couple missions and see how it does.. 40min to upload a 1min video to youtube

We're talking about an auto pilot app, not dji go app.

Reactions: J&L
Let us know the results.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Will do, winds today are at 3-6 at my house usually a little less windy in town

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl