Autopilot app, autoflight logic

You can run the waypoint missing in joystick mode. This allows you to control the path progression manually. Just did this out 2 miles in Puget sound to capture Seattle skyline. Only issue was there was tons of 2.4ghz interference. I couldn't use my 32channel hack and had to settle for channel 20. Also, RC signal dropped before video- this never happens except with strong interference. Joystick mode made it easy to meander along the path even when signal started dropping 1.5+ miles out with windsurfer.
This most probably WILL NOT solve the DJI dodgy SDK/no RTH in Autopilot issue. I say that because autoflight logic have informed us that all flight modes are affected. Joystick mode almost cerrainly uses the custom flight controller (just like waypoint and other flight modes). Loss of control signal will be hover untill critical battery.

Reactions: Yeager74
This most probably WILL NOT solve the DJI dodgy SDK/no RTH in Autopilot issue. I say that because autoflight logic have informed us that all flight modes are affected. Joystick mode almost cerrainly uses the custom flight controller (just like waypoint and other flight modes). Loss of control signal will be hover untill critical battery.

Yes, with regards to RC signal loss in Autopilot, there will be no difference using it in Joystick mode. RC signal loss, and you may or may not, have the drone return to home or hover and land (somewhere). DJI needs to get their fingers out and send out a new Firmware to fix this issue.

P3P W323B GL300C, APP V.2.5.1, AIRCRAFT V.1.6.40, RC V.1.5.70, AUTOPILOT V3.0A.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi- no one said it would. The OP just wanted a method to slowly and manually fly along the waypoint flight path to see when/where his signal may begin to drop.

Reactions: Jack Ley
Is this auto pilot app only available for apple? I was looking for it at the Google play store and couldn't find it. Thanks.

Is this auto pilot app only available for apple? I was looking for it at the Google play store and couldn't find it. Thanks.

I only use IOS, I have an iphone 6, but from what I read, I am almost positive that Autopilot is NOT for android products. I believe android users have an app they use called Litchi. Autopilot and Litchi have similar features I think.

There is only one thing that caught my attention at the beginning. It doesn't support the "resume mission when RC and craft connection is lost". I really hope
they will incorporate that function down the road.
You can use the Mission Start Marker to start a Waypoint Mission from where you left off. Just long press on the path location where you want it to resume and place the Start marker.

I only use IOS, I have an iphone 6, but from what I read, I am almost positive that Autopilot is NOT for android products. I believe android users have an app they use called Litchi. Autopilot and Litchi have similar features I think.
Autopilot is iOS only right now. There is a lengthy thread comparing the two here.

Reactions: 2nd2non
I have the Autopilot 3.1.78 version. I have not use it yet since weather has been very uncooperative at the moment which is fine. It will give me time to review, review and review until I am a little familiar with it. So far I like what I see especially the follow me.. There is only one thing that caught my attention at the beginning. It doesn't support the "resume mission when RC and craft connection is lost". I really hope
they will incorporate that function down the road.
Yes, I personally would prefer the mission to continue, even if signal is lost. Far safer and would allow shooting behind obstructions that manual flying would prohibit.

Hi- no one said it would. The OP just wanted a method to slowly and manually fly along the waypoint flight path to see when/where his signal may begin to drop.
Understood. My intent was only to ensure that those cautious about flying with the current SDK issue
yep... And if his signal drops completely it's hover until critical battery level. My point was to ensure people don't get a false sense of security. That's all.

Yes, I personally would prefer the mission to continue, even if signal is lost. Far safer and would allow shooting behind obstructions that manual flying would prohibit.
It wasn't a question of deciding to allow or disallow it. We had to make a choice between offering several other unique features, or give up those features in order to offer this one particular feature (LCMC). The decision and resulting list of gained features is documented here. We are open to implementing LCMC in the future, but realize that it will result in a "stripped down" version of Waypoint Mode without the above features, and further encourage people to do unsafe things with drones (for example fly on the other side of buildings without any ability to see or control the aircraft in the case of an emergency).

...and further encourage people to do unsafe things with drones (for example fly on the other side of buildings without any ability to see or control the aircraft in the case of an emergency)....

Well, the by @autoflightlogic mentioned situation of operators flying around buildings (objects) below their (the object) max height would then not only be limited to the use of Autopilot in waypoint mode, as this can be accomplished in other modes. Further, this sort of "unsafe" operation can already be performed with other applications, such as the native DJI GO application. If the operator has programmed the autonomous RC signal loss (RTH) with an "incorrect" (as in lower than the object) Failsafe Mode RTH Altitude, then the drone will fly a straight line, into any obstacle along it's way - and this is currently a threat both with DJI GO and Autopilot in other modes, than just waypoint. So, as you say @autoflightlogic it may "..further encourage people to do unsafe things..", but nothing stop the same people from performing "unsafe" things with the current applications (in other modes than just waypoint).

So, as you say @autoflightlogic it may "..further encourage people to do unsafe things..", but nothing stop the same people from performing "unsafe" things with the current applications.
People will always find ways around restrictions. The point is that knowing RTH will activated in Autopilot will (hopefully) discourage users from executing the mission in the first place. If they want to look elsewhere for the functionality, there is, of course, nothing stopping them. My point is that we wanted to offer a very specific set of features that we couldn't offer if we supported LCMC. Given that most LCMC situations are unsafe, we are okay with that decision, at least in the short to medium term until the FAA formalizes the rules.

People will always find ways around restrictions. The point is that knowing RTH will activated in Autopilot will (hopefully) discourage users from executing the mission in the first place. If they want to look elsewhere for the functionality, there is, of course, nothing stopping them. My point is that we wanted to offer a very specific set of features that we couldn't offer if we supported LCMC. Given that most LCMC situations are unsafe, we are okay with that decision, at least in the short to medium term until the FAA formalizes the rules.

I agree on that decision. Better safe than sorry.

Without wising to offend, you've already stated your position is that anyone flying BLOS is flying illegally, so no matter how safe or prudent a LCMC is (say with a spotter), you won't enable "illegal" maneuvers, which leaves us, instead, with a drone eventually landing in place, after a loss of signal while flying a mission, which, in fact, could be far more dangerous. Let the user decide how they want to use the software, rather than imposing your personal agenda upon its use. If we wanted that, we'd all still be using DJI GO with geofencing, and all the limitations and restrictions DJI places upon waypoints and orbits.

you've already stated your position is that anyone flying BLOS is flying illegally
Not true, here is what we actually stated:
Considering what the signal range is on these aircraft, it is hard to find use cases that aren't illegal where this issue will present itself, at least in the US.
You, of course, challenged that on a technicality:
Isn't the phrase you are looking for "inconsistent with FAA Guidelines" and not "illegal"? :rolleyes:
Are the FAA guidelines a law that has been signed by congress? No.
Do we want to challenge the FAA on this point (a technicality)? No.
Did we leave room for cases where BLOS is perfectly safe and/or legal (technicalities aside)? Yes. (i.e. not in the US, have a spotter, etc)

Our point is that we made a decision based on how we thought the majority of people wanted to use Waypoint Mode in Autopilot, or more aptly, what they were expecting from us. Were they looking for another copy-cat implementation like that offered by GO and the rest of the apps out there? No, because it already exists and you can use those tools if you want to accomplish that type of mission. The vast majority of feedback we have received from our users is praise for the decision as the unique features (Focus Triggers, Bézier Curves, Multiple Mission Types, Moving Flight Paths, etc) are critical to their production work.

As we have already stated several times (even as recently as yesterday), we are not opposed to implementing a mode that offers LCMC, but in the case of Waypoint Mode, it didn't make business sense as it isn't what the majority of our users wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: egoldy and 2nd2non
Without wising to offend, you've already stated your position is that anyone flying BLOS is flying illegally, so no matter how safe or prudent a LCMC is (say with a spotter), you won't enable "illegal" maneuvers, which leaves us, instead, with a drone eventually landing in place, after a loss of signal while flying a mission, which, in fact, could be far more dangerous. Let the user decide how they want to use the software, rather than imposing your personal agenda upon its use. If we wanted that, we'd all still be using DJI GO with geofencing, and all the limitations and restrictions DJI places upon waypoints and orbits.

I think that the position that he has stated is not that. The legality of flying BLOS or not is not a personal position: it is a fact (or not, depending on the countries and other scenarios). The designers of AP are not trying to impose you any hidden agenda, at the most they want you to buy their software and you are free to do so. It is a **** good piece of software and it allows you to do incredible stuff, but hey, it just happens to be vulnerable to RC connection loss. Per design. It may be inconvenient in some usage scenarios but not for most, including all the ones recommended by FAA. You can not blame AP for the DJI bug that does not allow AP performing as expected on RC signal loss.

Not true, here is what we actually stated:

You, of course, challenged that on a technicality:

Are the FAA guidelines a law that has been signed by congress? No.
Do we want to challenge the FAA on this point (a technicality)? No.
Did we leave room for cases where BLOS is perfectly safe and/or legal (technicalities aside)? Yes. (i.e. not in the US, have a spotter, etc)

Our point is that we made a decision based on how we thought the majority of people wanted to use Waypoint Mode in Autopilot, or more aptly, what they were expecting from us. Were they looking for another copy-cat implementation like that offered by GO and the rest of the apps out there? No, because it already exists and you can use those tools if you want to accomplish that type of mission. The vast majority of feedback we have received from our users is praise for the decision as the unique features (Focus Triggers, Bézier Curves, Multiple Mission Types, Moving Flight Paths, etc) are critical to their production work.

As we have already stated several times (even as recently as yesterday), we are not opposed to implementing a mode that offers LCMC, but in the case of Waypoint Mode, it didn't make business sense as it isn't what the majority of our users wanted.
I am not questioning the benefits of your app for VLOS flying, and will likely purchase it for them. The DJI GO app implementation of waypoints is quite crippled, and imposes limitations in terms of preflying and 500m distance limitations. No one wants those features copied. We would like them circumvented. LCMC would be a big safety advantage over landing in place. Your initial responses sounded judgemental, but I can see you are doing the best you can within the parameters. Keep up the good work!

You can use the Mission Start Marker to start a Waypoint Mission from where you left off. Just long press on the path location where you want it to resume and place the Start marker.

Autopilot is iOS only right now. There is a lengthy thread comparing the two here.

do you know if AutoPilot will eventually be available for android? Litchi is not working like I need it to, I am limited to DJI Go for now. I would gladly purchase this app if it were available. Thank you.

I've emailed [email protected] at DJI asking him about when DJI plans to release the Firmware update that would correct the current Firmware bug, which has the plane delaying the failsafe RTH (while in Waypoint mode). I purchased the Autoflight Logic Autopilot app. solely for using this mode. I'm starting to get slightly tired of having a software that is useless (to me) because of a DJI firmware bug.

P3P W323B GL300C, APP V.2.6.0, AIRCRAFT V.1.6.40, RC V.1.5.70, AUTOPILOT V3.1A.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

do you know if AutoPilot will eventually be available for android? Litchi is not working like I need it to, I am limited to DJI Go for now. I would gladly purchase this app if it were available. Thank you.
We are currently still looking into it.

I've emailed [email protected] at DJI asking him about when DJI plans to release the Firmware update that would correct the current Firmware bug, which has the plane delaying the failsafe RTH (while in Waypoint mode). I purchased the Autoflight Logic Autopilot app. solely for using this mode. I'm starting to get slightly tired of having a software that is useless (to me) because of a DJI firmware bug.
They still maintain that it will be fixed in the next firmware release.

I'm going to try a follow me on my jet ski, I'm getting someone to 3D print a holder for the controller that I can attach to my handlebars and put in a 2 gallon zip lock to prevent it from getting wet
You might consider using Airspace and leaving the RC on dry ground with someone.

I just saw that capability with your software, that's huge for me being able to just have my phone to follow me, and it's cheaper to buy your software than have a 3D printed mount made.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor