Autopilot app, autoflight logic

I think step be step trial and hope not to many errors will eventually get my desired result. I'm also in possession of the RC in a backpack as I descend too.

With the iPad Air 2 in the pack and my iPhone 6s on my handlebar I can now have the focus on the phone and keep the iPad connected in my backpack

It would have to be a pretty tight orbit because of concerns when I'm next to the hill and can't calculate where the drone will be in advance.

Fun stuff! Wish me luck

Ok, I'm at work at the firehouse and have been playing with Autopilot, Waypoints during my down time. I have used orbit and follow several times, and now watched the waypioint video like 3 times and feel pretty confident setting up missions. After making several practice missions, just on my phone, I made one for a park that's near my house , for when I get off work and the weather cooperates. Here is a screen shot of the mission, I will post the video once I fly this one, I am very excited!
IMG_1627.PNG

I have the altitude set at 132ft and the speed at 7mph

Now, we just seriously need DJI to get their acts together and release an updated Firmware, that sees the RC signal loss Failsafe RTH function to be fully operational, when using this application in waypoint mode. I simply will not risk using the Autopilot Application, until this issue has been resolved.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

@Jack Ley looks like you've also setup interpolated focus points. Isn't it fun playing around with this then running the flight previewer?!

Reactions: Jack Ley
Now, we just seriously need DJI to get their acts together and release an updated Firmware, that sees the RC signal loss Failsafe RTH function to be fully operational, when using this application in waypoint mode. I simply will not risk using the Autopilot Application, until this issue has been resolved.

@Yeager74, The signal loss fail safe can still be used. When I first used Autopilot I was extremely nervous myself, so I did very short flights and tried many different "problem scenarios" One was signal loss. What I did was keep DJI GO App open on my iPhone 6, while using Autopilot, at anytime I was able to minimize Autopilot, bring up DJI GO and then hit the return home button and the phantom returned just fine. Now I haven't tested this more that 100ft or so away, so I'm not positive, if the phantom was way way out there, that this would work. I agree it should be available straight through Autopilot, but for now,this is good enough for me so I at least have an option to get the phantom home safe.

@Yeager74, The signal loss fail safe can still be used. When I first used Autopilot I was extremely nervous myself, so I did very short flights and tried many different "problem scenarios" One was signal loss. What I did was keep DJI GO App open on my iPhone 6, while using Autopilot, at anytime I was able to minimize Autopilot, bring up DJI GO and then hit the return home button and the phantom returned just fine. Now I haven't tested this more that 100ft or so away, so I'm not positive, if the phantom was way way out there, that this would work. I agree it should be available straight through Autopilot, but for now,this is good enough for me so I at least have an option to get the phantom home safe.
Jack i worked through this scenario also. I also confired that the RTH function initiates as expected with AP (did not need to run GO). However, GO probably of no use in signal loss scenario as without a connection between remote and aircraft the user RTH command wont get there regardless of what app is running. Signal loss while the SDK is running on the aircraft when tested by Autoflight logic themselves resulted in RTH initiating at critical battery level. Thats whe are untill DJI gets their finger out and launches a patched firmware.

Look we are not talking about the smart go-home function, which you'd normally use while having an established RC Signal. We're talking about the native Rc Signal lost function. Operating the drone in the DJI GO app, and have chosen "return-to-home" as the action in case if RC signal lost, and switching of the RC Transmitter - the drone will execute failsafe RTH (after 3 seconds). Do the same thing in Autopilot app, waypoint mode, and the drone will hover at its current position, until the intelligent battery triggers the critical battery warning.

Check this link for details P3P controller range limits

By the way, you should not have to go to the DJI GO app to activate the smart go home (RTH) function, you can just hit the designated RTH button on your RC Transmitter, also while in the Autopilot app, for that function to be executed.

P3P W323B GL300C, APP V.2.5.1, AIRCRAFT V.1.6.40, RC V.1.5.70, AUTOPILOT V3.0A.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Look we are not talking about the smart go-home function, which you'd normally use while having an established RC Signal. We're talking about the native Rc Signal lost function. Operating the drone in the DJI GO app, and have chosen "return-to-home" as the action in case if RC signal lost, and switching of the RC Transmitter - the drone will execute failsafe RTH (after 3 seconds). Do the same thing in Autopilot app, waypoint mode, and the drone will hover at its current position, until the intelligent battery triggers the low battery warning, after which the drone will attempt to return home (successful RTH will ultimately depend on external factors such as wind etc).

By the way, you should not have to go to the DJI GO app to activate the smart go home (RTH) function, you can just hit the designated RTH button on your RC Transmitter, also while in the Autopilot app, for that function to be executed.

Agreed as i commented above with one exception. In the current SDK and autopilot running a waypoint mission lost signal will result in RTH failsafe trigger at critical battery, not low.

Agreed as i commented above with one exception. In the current SDK and autopilot running a waypoint mission lost signal will result in RTH failsafe trigger at critical battery, not low.

Sorry, yes, I've corrected that.

While at the critical low battery level, will this not trigger land command command, rather than the RTH command?

Sorry, yes, I've corrected that.

While at the critical low battery level, will this not trigger land command command, rather than the RTH command?

I would have suspected auto land to trigger however autoflight logic said RTH from their testing.

Well, I was gonna wait for the firmware update from DJI, until using the Autopilot app again, but I'm too curious as to confirm whether it does RTH auto land or actually returns to the home point. I would have thought that the intelligent battery "low battery warning" (not critical battery warning) would trigger the 10 secs wait for pilot input, and then RTH.

I will test this asap, end of this week.

Actually, it could be auto-land or RTH, depending on the distance to the home point, as explained here.

Yeah, this will require a bit more of testing to see the most likely outcome, to satisfy my curiosity. I'll be doing some more testing of this over a safe area, considering the hovering and auto landing possibility, as soon as I get home, later this week. I'll post the results accordingly.

Here is an idea for those (me invluded) that are concerned about the current SDK/Autopilot issue....

Fly within VLOS, RF LOS even, and relax. Until the confirmed fix i stay within 1.2km, no loss of video and 90+ signal quality.

I posted this on another similar thread, but since I started this thread on Autopilot in general I'm going to post it here and see if anybody can help me figure out a few things.........

I used waypoint program for the first time today and had some problems with it. First off, if I didn't have DJI GO closed, the phantom would take off and do a wide orbit type flight no where near the first waypoint. So once I figured that out, and launched again, the phantom followed the waypoints and focused pretty well on the focus triggers ( I had it set for 5 waypoints and 4 camera triggers, flown over an area about 10-15 acres) but at each waypoint it would stop, then fly back the way it came about 25ft or so, pause again, then continue on to the next waypoint. On one of the waypoints it did this twice. Did I set something wrong that would make it do that? Second question, all the missions I flew today I "engaged" with the phantom on the ground, letting Autopilot do an auto take off. I have seen several people say they only engage after they are in flight, should I switch to doing that?

I posted this on another similar thread, but since I started this thread on Autopilot in general I'm going to post it here and see if anybody can help me figure out a few things.........

I used waypoint program for the first time today and had some problems with it. First off, if I didn't have DJI GO closed, the phantom would take off and do a wide orbit type flight no where near the first waypoint. So once I figured that out, and launched again, the phantom followed the waypoints and focused pretty well on the focus triggers ( I had it set for 5 waypoints and 4 camera triggers, flown over an area about 10-15 acres) but at each waypoint it would stop, then fly back the way it came about 25ft or so, pause again, then continue on to the next waypoint. On one of the waypoints it did this twice. Did I set something wrong that would make it do that? Second question, all the missions I flew today I "engaged" with the phantom on the ground, letting Autopilot do an auto take off. I have seen several people say they only engage after they are in flight, should I switch to doing that?
Jack, are you comfortable sharing your mission file? I would be happy to have a look at it. Im very curious, this seems bizarre. Does it appear normal when you run the preview in the app?

Here is an idea for those (me invluded) that are concerned about the current SDK/Autopilot issue....

Fly within VLOS, RF LOS even, and relax. Until the confirmed fix i stay within 1.2km, no loss of video and 90+ signal quality.

Your idea, With The Birds, does not prevent/eliminate the possibility of loosing the drone, should an RC Signal failure occur, while using the Autopilot app (in waypoint mode). Perhaps where you fly, it's all flat and comfy, should the drone hover and auto land, but that's not the case where I fly. The only way to really relax, is to not use Autopilot in waypoint mode, and stick to other modes with Autopilot or stick with DJI GO, until DJI releases a firmware that corrects the SDK issue.

1. Autoflight Logic recommends that the DJI GO app is closed, and not running at the same time as the Autopilot app.

2. I've not had my drone behave the way you describe during my waypoint missions. I'd also like to see you mission profile to investigate.

3. Again, Autoflight Logic recommends only engaging the Autopilot mission AFTER the drone is airborne. However, FYI, I've been disregarding this recommendation and have been launching my drone, multiple times, from the ground, and with no problems. The danger using this method has to be understood though. The drone will proceed straight to the first waypoint and may not reach a safe altitude (obstacle clearance, including humans) on its vertical path to this waypoint. If you manually take off the drone, as recommended, you will have reached a safe altitude prior to sending the drone of on its mission (to the first waypoint).

Your idea, With The Birds, does not prevent/eliminate the possibility of loosing the drone, should an RC Signal failure occur, while using the Autopilot app (in waypoint mode). Perhaps where you fly, it's all flat and comfy, should the drone hover and auto land, but that's not the case where I fly. The only way to really relax, is to not use Autopilot in waypoint mode, and stick to other modes with Autopilot or stick with DJI GO, until DJI releases a firmware that corrects the SDK issue.

Understood. I appreciate the risks and they are acceprable to me. I wont be flyimg over paople or property though, mostly water and bush.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj