Anyone fly without a monitor/app running?

i agree for quick shots you don't really need a screen. i used to fly rc helicopters and never really needed screens. HOWEVER, things are not as simple as they used to be. the phantom3 has way more sensors and they can go wrong. so i think having at least a phone attached is a good idea. even if its a slow phone you can ignore the laggy streaming video but at least you have notifications.

Yeah I haven't flown with my phone much but might start doing that. It's a fast Droid Turbo so no problems there. It is a lot more nimble than the iPad. ...

Lets see- i can guess at what im photographing OR i can see the subject clearly with live feedback. HHHhhhmmmmm.....what to do, what to do. Why do they make these choices so hard. [emoji3]

Flying without a app is fine.

Pre-flighting without it is impossible to do safely. As mentioned, there do way to check vitals and calibrate the compass without it.

Is suggest you have an obligation to the community of fliers to fly responsibly and safely. I don't think you'll change your behavior but it's worth considering.

Goodness guys, I'm not doing this while flying over a parade or a daycare playground. If I wasn't clear, I sometimes fly without the monitor while in very remote canyons. These are hikes miles into remote high desert canyons in western Colorado. I'm not being irresponsible to the quad flying community by flying into a canyon 30 miles from civilization without an iPhone attached. If your only place to fly is around houses and people, then I feel for you and yes, you should always use a monitor when you fly. I have beautiful places to fly that are in the absolute middle of nowhere. I could make a bowling ball cannon and shoot it around and not hurt anyone.

I think I've got my answer, nobody does this. And, yes, I'll likely continue to do this for these 3-5 minute quick picture flights. Thanks

Last edited:
I laughed at "daycare playgrounds"

You can't calibrate the compass without an app device. In a canyon you're more likely to lose GPS quality and rely more on the compass. You're increasing number your risk of an uncontrolled flyaway.

That's risky and arguably irresponsible. We (the multi-rotor community) face a bad PR issue right now. People don't understand what we do. They don't understand the true risks associated with it. They don't understand the steps we take to mitigate the risks.

It's along those lines that I take issue you anyone launching without a complete pre-flight check.

The very nature of a flyaway is such that you don't know how or where the bird will come down. The odds of it hitting someone are virtually zero, but what about environmental damage? What about when somebody finds a busted, dirty, battery-exploded multi-rotor in a remote location in 8 months? Bad PR. Bad for the hobby.

You can't calibrate the compass without an app device. In a canyon you're more likely to lose GPS quality and rely more on the compass. You're increasing number your risk of an uncontrolled flyaway.
True, but motors won't start if the compass is screwy for some reason. My first flights of the hiking trip are not sans monitor, it's a few flights later. My first flight is always with monitor to make sure all is well with the quad.

What about when somebody finds a busted, dirty, battery-exploded multi-rotor in a remote location in 8 months? Bad PR. Bad for the hobby.
I suppose. I'm not flying at Stonehenge, but I guess somebody could get mad if they find a drone in the middle of the desert.(?) Perhaps they'll try to repair it and enter this fun hobby!
My frame of reference is just somewhat biased. I've been flying R/C aircraft with cameras attached in these desert canyon areas for 15+ years. I used to pucker up a little when I tossed $1,000 over a cliff, but haven't lost one yet. : )
Yes, I'm new to quadcopters and FPV, and still don't like flying while looking down at a monitor. That's not the reason I occasionally fly it without, however. I just like the quick ability to launch for a short mission.

Points well taken about pre-flight, as these craft are much more complicated than my fixed wing aircraft with a few servos and one brushless motor.

True, but motors won't start if the compass is screwy for some reason.
Not true. The motors will start, and the quad will launch, even with with a bad compass reading, The app would warn you, but also not prevent you from taking off anyway. That's when the bad stuff happens!:eek: It's your quad, so carry on, as long as you are now aware of the potential risks.

Thanks, I'm aware of the risks, for sure. I did attempt to start motors a few weeks ago with the compass error message when attempting to take off from my truck bed, and it would not start. I know the truck was messing with the compass so wanted to just fly out of there but couldn't. Interesting. Anomaly I'm guessing.

Thanks, I'm aware of the risks, for sure. I did attempt to start motors a few weeks ago with the compass error message when attempting to take off from my truck bed, and it would not start. I know the truck was messing with the compass so wanted to just fly out of there but couldn't. Interesting. Anomaly I'm guessing.
You were lucky-- that could have been disaster--- they don't react well when surrounded by metal.

Yeah, I'm still getting used to the idea of flying something I didn't build myself and that has all of this sensitive electronic crap ( :)) inside it. My heli's and other e-planes weren't so **** finicky about that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
That may be new. In the past, it either wouldn't warn you at all, and would take off and crash immediately, or it would warn you, but still allow you to take off and crash. I haven't had a bad compass reading since using a cardboard box or a wooden table as a launch surface, instead of the ground which had hidden metal underneath, so maybe DJI now prevents arming the motors until you have a good compass reading, in which case, you are correct, and I am mistaken. That would be a very good thing, in this case! :)

You can't calibrate the compass without an app device.

I was under the impression that you indeed can calibrate it:

1. Quickly switch the control mode switch from ATTI. Mode to GPS ATTI. Mode for 6 to 10 times, The LED indicator will turn on constantly yellow.

2. Rotate your quad-rotor around the horizontal axis (about 360o) until the LED changes to constant green, and then go to the next step.

3. Hold your quad-rotor vertically and rotate it (its nose is downward) around the vertical axis (about 360o) until the LED turns off, meaning the calibration is finished.

No biggie, was really just wondering if I'm the only guy that does this sometimes.

Without having to attach the iPad (or even phone) I can throw the bird in the air really quickly as I'm hiking along. It also helps make me look less conspicuous if anyone's around.

I have flown mine several times without an external device. Like you, I was flying close-by and was even close enough to still determine the orientation of my craft. I've never done this for anything except a flight of just a few minutes. I wouldn't dream of flying away to *any* reasonable distance without being able to identify how much battery time is remaining.

A number of these "blind" flights were conducted in succession, i.e., without stopping to put a brand-new, freshly charged battery in the craft. Unlike the naysayers who say flying without a fully charged battery causes crashes, I've never crashed this thing when taking off with less than a full battery. That said, I don't think I've ever launched without about 60% or so battery remaining.

Reactions: eBird
That's fine, thanks for your semi-flammable input. Not real valuable. It takes me more than 30 sec to get the iPad mounted and app running and I actually enjoy just flying and not always having an iPad or even phone mounted. Was just wondering if others do this.
It takes longer to spin on the Blades then starting up your app. Really is 29 more seconds going to matter?

You can calibrate compass without the app. You can fly without the app. The app is non-essential to flight. The app can sometimes disconnect and/or stop working which is why I always use an external HD monitor.

Reactions: ViperNuke
I've never done it with my P3P. But with my P2, I often fly without setting up FPV gear. I agree about getting into the air faster without FPV. You may not get the shot you want, but with the GoPro set on time-lapse of 1 second, you're bound to get something good. With the P2, I fly as much as 15 minutes with no OSD. I simply use a kitchen timer and the closer I get to the 15-minute mark, the closer I get to my launch point. I also fly a P1 for work. There's no app, no FPV. Just me and a digital kitchen timer. Of course, I check the battery level before I put it in the bird, and I limit my flights to 7 minutes. Flying without FPV or an app helps develop a certain aerial photography skill set.

Reactions: eBird

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl