Anyone fly without a monitor/app running?

Reaction score
I do a fair amount of very short flights while hiking in canyons, and often just launch without my iPad. This probably stems from my long history flying aerial photography missions with my camera equipped park flyer plane with just a simple "blind" transmitter. Of course the downside is you can't see what you are photographing and you can't get very far away, but you'd be surprised how good photos you can get estimating the aim point. The upside is very quick photo missions without messing around with the iPad and app. I do this when I just want to fly over a cliff ledge and get a selfie for example, or get a quick panning video of an area. I suppose another downside is not being warned by the app of compass problems or similar. Been a nice quick way for me to occasionally fly however, without that giant iPad hanging on the transmitter, and just wondered if anyone else did it.

Reactions: Reed L
It seriously takes an additional 30 seconds to put the iPad on the controller and launch the app. I can't imagine that time being so valuable.

Use the smaller, but usable iPhone 6+ instead of an iPad if size is an issue.

Reactions: snerd
It seriously takes an additional 30 seconds to put the iPad on the controller and launch the app. I can't imagine that time being so valuable.

That's fine, thanks for your semi-flammable input. Not real valuable. It takes me more than 30 sec to get the iPad mounted and app running and I actually enjoy just flying and not always having an iPad or even phone mounted. Was just wondering if others do this.

Reactions: DownUnder
Welcome to San Francisco, we have great places to shoot and weather is excellent.

Reactions: Flyer91
That's fine, thanks for your semi-flammable input. Not real valuable. It takes me more than 30 sec to get the iPad mounted and app running and I actually enjoy just flying and not always having an iPad or even phone mounted. Was just wondering if others do this.

Well, I took your post to mean that it was a timely burden for you to attach the iPad, not that you enjoyed flying blind. I apologize.

No biggie, was really just wondering if I'm the only guy that does this sometimes.

Without having to attach the iPad (or even phone) I can throw the bird in the air really quickly as I'm hiking along. It also helps make me look less conspicuous if anyone's around.

Seems odd to me. It takes maybe a few seconds to throw a phone or tablet onto the remote and start the app. And that's the only way to check the battery cells, adjust camera, etc etc. IMHO it seems foolish to fly without but to each his own.

Reactions: bobmyers
Seems odd to me. It takes maybe a few seconds to throw a phone or tablet onto the remote and start the app. And that's the only way to check the battery cells, adjust camera, etc etc. IMHO it seems foolish to fly without but to each his own.

And totally agree for your average flight that's planned out a bit and might go more than several hundred feet out, you need to be on the app. If you read my rationale, I'm talking about 3-5 minute flights, quick up and quick down, looking at the bird the whole time in a canyon. I am not trying to "make a case" for doing this, as some are arguing that I should not be doing it. I'm simply asking if others do this sometimes.
Thanks for your input.
Foolhardy eBird.

The problem I have is that people have had issues shortly after takeoff. Without the screen there's no way to do a good pre-flight, checking the compass, battery cell levels, etc. I'm not even sure how you could take photos without knowing how the camera exposure is set.

But, sorry - you didn't ask if anyone thought it was a good idea, you just asked if anyone else is doing it, so I'll go back and answer the question asked: no, I don't do that.

That's interesting and I bet you're right for a quick flight just to get some simple shots. I used to sometimes fly my P2V without the camera attached and without the app when doing challenges - to get higher performance. I don't think I've ever flown my P3P this way though.

I fly blind every time the FPV app I happen to be using crashes or freezes... ;-)...

I can certainly see the value in your circumstances that this could have benefit for efficient ease of getting the bird up in the air.... seems risky though for such an expensive aerial imaging platform in case there's an issue that the app would've shown but you might not know otherwise...

Still, more power to ya eBird! As long as you're not violating the rules or putting others at risk, rock on in whatever way suits your fancy at the moment for the sheer joy of flying!

I think it stems from years of flying other aerial platforms that didn't have FPV, I'm just comfortable doing it. Totally agree it has downsides, mainly any warning messages. I wouldn't fly like this for a 10-15 min flight where I would need to know battery info.
It really is pretty easy to aim the camera without FPV and get some decent shots, sure you throw more away. I don't tweak camera settings much while flying.

Not trying to justify it or talk anyone into it, it's just the thing I do sometimes in flying short canyon sorties. I guess I could throw my Droid on there after I'm airborne.

Interesting, so early gen Phantoms didn't have an app and FPV?
The The FC40 then the Phantom2 Vision were the first FPV & apps. Phantom2 Zenmuse versions (like one of mine) had no app, and it you wanted FPV you assembled your own from third party vendor parts.
Ahhhh, the good ole days. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl