Anyone fly without a monitor/app running?

Flying without FPV or an app helps develop a certain aerial photography skill set.

I think that's exactly where I'm coming from. I already have that skill set and naturally want to fly by just looking at the bird and not have my nose in an app. It's not just about the "29 seconds" it takes to put on the tablet, connect the cable, start the app, make sure other apps aren't running, etc. I actually enjoy the freedom (yes, and quickness) you can do a short flight without a tablet.
As noted, I don't ever do this for longer flights and usually never venture more than a few hundred feet away. I do appreciate the orientation and telemetry provided by the app, I just don't need it for a quick selfie off a canyon ledge.
Still amazed this elicits "wow" from people in this forum.

And I'll add, flying without the app in the circumstances I've described is a hell of a lot less a " disservice to drone flying community" than all the stories here of flying miles away from visual contact and hoping for the best.

I'd guess there are quite a few that "fly visually" especially those who flew long before FPV was even invented (well it was technically invented a loonnggg time ago but in hobby/consumer off the shelf version).

when I fly just for fun or on my lunch break or just for a quick "jaunt" around the neighborhood I don't fool with getting the tablet/phone out, mounting on the Tx, connecting the cable, firing it up, and launching the ap. Doesn't take long but if you don't need it then it's a waste of time just the same.

Reactions: kirk2579 and eBird
You can calibrate compass without the app. You can fly without the app. The app is non-essential to flight. The app can sometimes disconnect and/or stop working which is why I always use an external HD monitor.
Having just purchased the HDMI board upgrade for exactly that reason, which external HD monitor do you recommend?

Ahh the good old days of flying rc los before fpv. its like becoming a photographer with black and white film... its a great skill set to have when technology fails which it will eventually!

I have flown around my backyard without the phone or app, no problems.. The bird was still getting gps signal as evidenced by the rear green lights, and no control issues at all.. Of course, I would only do this for backyard flights without any pics or video.. Anything more and the phone and app are in

I'd guess there are quite a few that "fly visually" especially those who flew long before FPV was even invented (well it was technically invented a loonnggg time ago but in hobby/consumer off the shelf version).

when I fly just for fun or on my lunch break or just for a quick "jaunt" around the neighborhood I don't fool with getting the tablet/phone out, mounting on the Tx, connecting the cable, firing it up, and launching the ap. Doesn't take long but if you don't need it then it's a waste of time just the same.

I guess having had a P1 and a P2V2 non vision gives me a different view as I have many hours flying phantoms fpv less.
Then I added the P2V2 vision plus
I feel that even when using the app I don't use the app as much as LOS.
Often the P2 Plus video flaked out so I learned how to frame via site and trial and error,
Got pretty good at it.

Your aircraft leds and will give you what you need to fly LOS

good luck and have fun flying!

I think that's exactly where I'm coming from. I already have that skill set and naturally want to fly by just looking at the bird and not have my nose in an app. It's not just about the "29 seconds" it takes to put on the tablet, connect the cable, start the app, make sure other apps aren't running, etc. I actually enjoy the freedom (yes, and quickness) you can do a short flight without a tablet.
As noted, I don't ever do this for longer flights and usually never venture more than a few hundred feet away. I do appreciate the orientation and telemetry provided by the app, I just don't need it for a quick selfie off a canyon ledge.
Still amazed this elicits "wow" from people in this forum.
I get what your saying, I live on the side of a hill and have nothing but open space, so I will fly my small quads out a hundred feet or so and have done so with the P3 running just the RC. As long as you dont go out far enough to lose orientation it shouldn't be a problem. I also enjoy flying Atti mod when doing this because of all the open space I have.

Reactions: eBird
Yep.. I have. It's part of planning for those "in case **** happens" scenarios. It really isn't difficult.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

I'm "only" 36 but I guess you can call me old school. I absolutely think flying without a screen helps you become a much more competent pilot. More prepared for the inevitable crash of today's technology. Of course with strong enough will you could choose not to look at the screen I suppose, but who has that? I think it's good fun and good practice. The reason people the need to go so far and so high is because it gets boring otherwise. Guess why! FPV. It's too easy. Turn all assistance off and do a lap around your house. It's tough and awesome. Besides as I said it's good practice for when your i-whatever craps out. Just like a generation of kids that can't drive because of park assist and back up cameras.
I also tried to take off from the bed of my truck and was greeted with a compass error. I was not allowed to start the props I until I moved it. The compass error is communicated by flashing yellow lights on the bird. The low battery warning you receive from the TX is communicated by the lights on the bird flashing red. Maybe some people don't know that because they're staring down at the screen.

Reactions: eBird
epic.

i like the idea of flight without fpv. any tips on gettin good at it without crashing the bird?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic