Any of you have projects outside of DJI?

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am a tinkerer, and love to build, design, and try new things.
I have several phantoms, and love them, but I was wondering if any of you,
Have other hobbies, outside of drones? Maybe hot rods, motos, airplane ( real ), ect.

Here is a project I started in the 80's, it was an old kiddy fair ride, had trucks , cars, and moto's, that went around like a small merry go round, the moto, would pull wheelies, on its way round.
Well we took the body off, cut it, and came up with this:
IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0233.JPG
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG

18hp v-twin, dual exhaust, valve job with high lift roller rockers, 7 speed tranny with reverse, electric start, drum brakes front, disk brakes rear. Getting ready to restore it again! But this is my next project for 2017!

I'd like to know what some of you are into, or are working on? And your thoughts on my project?

Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot
:cool:

That is a wicked little machine

My biggest project/hobby is saltwater aquariums. Second would have to be smoking/bbqing

Reactions: J Dot
Hello Everyone,
Have other hobbies, outside of drones? Maybe hot rods, motos, airplane ( real ), ect.

Here is a project I started in the 80's, it was an old kiddy fair ride, had trucks , cars, and moto's, that went around like a small merry go round, the moto, would pull wheelies, on its way round.
Well we took the body off, cut it, and came up with this:
View attachment 73707 View attachment 73708 View attachment 73709 View attachment 73710
18hp v-twin, dual exhaust, valve job with high lift roller rockers, 7 speed tranny with reverse, electric start, drum brakes front, disk brakes rear. Getting ready to restore it again! But this is my next project for 2017!

I'd like to know what some of you are into, or are working on? And your thoughts on my project?

Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot
disk brakes are more effective in front. maybe put cousin IT in passenger seat so you can drive in hov lane. My 67 beetle front window looks almost as bad as yours. I'm learning to wind my own motors, eventually the beetle will be 4WD electric, and aluminum body, so I am learning spin welding rather than cast an entire wheel fender in one piece. (well that is the cover story for the feds, and I will have the car to prove it). That way I can have all out power, or use one wheel on highway to counter wind resistance for maximum distance.

Very cool 27T bucket!
Did you print this backwards, front drums rear discs? On a full size auto, this could be problematic, on your scale, maybe not? She must go, eh?
I;m into the classics, not factory correct though, Just finished updating suspension on my GTO, next project - shoving a 347 stroker into my one owner 62 Fairlane, just out of motivation right now, Your little bucket has inspired me to get out to the garage!

Hello all,
The motor sounds almost exactly like a Harley, harley' motors hit like BAM-bam--------bam-bam, mine is more constant like Bam--bam--bam-bam. But very similar.

We utilized front rims and hubs from a European scooter ( hence drum brakes, rear end had disks already on it, so I left them.

And lol on the VW, I have a 1958 Deluxe ragtop, but they quit insuring it, so it is sitting too! BUMMER,

Also I love salt tanks, harlequin shrimp, my favorite!

Ultimately,
I'd like to take it to local car shows, just for fun!
Thought black with ghost flames?

J Dot

And PICTURES, I love those old HOT RODS, JUST LOVE THEM. I would like to in the future, either a early 30's-40's pickup, or a unimog ( older one ). That would be COOL,

Reactions: dirkclod
I want to know where you got a 7 speed tranny with reverse that is belt drive. You know one of the hall monitors is going to bounce us out of here for "Off Topic" before long. :mad:

SWEET,
Maybe not a PROJECT, but TONS of fun! All angles covered my friend. The tranny came from an old farm tractor/mower, I was told, but honestly, I'm not sure? An old guy I talked to that made racing lawn mowers, had it on a shelf, and that is where he said he got it, he also supplied the steering box, pitman, and all the tie rods. We fabricated leaf spring front suspension, same as real one, by welding bolts, and drilling the heads, to hold the spring shackle, so there are tons of little detail things, it actually had interior at one time, but was all molded so I tore it out. Just need to disassemble it again, and start over! Lol.

But nice collection! And A+ it all looks BRILLIANTLY PERFECT! I see you keep a tight ship! That is great!

J Dot

Ps, I thought this was off topic? o_O
But if we get booted, I've enjoyed the company!:)

45140efc4ea3832a8a804ceb59210ba4.jpg
e4f184bc2355311ecc81716467796cce.jpg

In the "tinker" category, I'm in to solar power and built a battery backup system that runs the essentials for a few days without the grid. The panels on the roof supply an average of 1200 kWh per month and supply 100% of my power with a respectable surplus the local power company buys from me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

45140efc4ea3832a8a804ceb59210ba4.jpg
e4f184bc2355311ecc81716467796cce.jpg

In the "tinker" category, I'm in to solar power and built a battery backup system that runs the essentials for a few days without the grid. The panels on the roof supply an average of 1200 kWh per month and supply 100% of my power with a respectable surplus the local power company buys from me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Holy Mackeral..! Does the Government know you have all that stuff? :D

Pretty nice I must say and out in the country too. NICE..

Holy Mackeral..! Does the Government know you have all that stuff? :D

Pretty nice I must say and out in the country too. NICE..
Out of curiosity, are you using flooded or AGM batteries?

Not to commit Blasphemy, but it is great to see people who are bright enough to do something besides fly one of these little things around.

They're 180 amp hour agm batteries, weigh about 130 pounds each. It's good to be in the telecom industry and the beneficiary of "scraps" thrown on the ground. I have the system set up to automatically transfer in case of a power outage. It carries two deep freezers, the fridge, the tv, and some lights. It was a really fun project and I learned a lot about batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yeah....Awesome view. Pretty impressive view from the TOP...too.

I have converted most of my stuff over from flooded to AGMs. even the John Deeres, and car and truck, boat, skis, most everything.

I remember when telco's had rooms full of what looked like golf cart batteries on steroids.

Yowzers ! Um...I take it that is N O T from your Phantom?

Did you take that at home? Or go somewhere and put your DSLR on a big big telescope?

That's correct, NOT from my drone haha. That is at my home in Connecticut through my 8 inch telescope. I do use a dslr though. A canon 40d modified with the infrared filter removed.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hello Everyone,

Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot
1484718230402.jpg

1484718244836.jpg

Programming micro controllers, and building the circuits that said micro's are going to run.
This is my most ambitious project to date, it is a loop controller for my boiler. It features 12 temperature inputs, to control the temperatures in 9 different zones in my house. There are 13 user selectable display screens and non-volatile storage for setpoints, etc. (It is actually quite sophisticated, but I won't bore the group with all the details, anyone interested in more detail, or in building one of you own, feel free to ask for more info)

The picture of the printed circuit board is showing what is inside the finished project, but is missing the micro, and a few other parts. I accidentally blew this one up, and used a hot air gun to remove the processor, but removed it a second or so too soon, and tore off 2 traces, so this one is junk

Your project def has the "Cool" factor, too bad you couldn't use it as a road vehicle, imagine the attention it would get. ( I assume it is too small for a road vehicle?)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen