Any of you have projects outside of DJI?

Still going guys,
All the tedious stuff, bought a sandblaster today, and a airbrush kit ( pump included ) for some of the smaller parts.

The steering gearbox, is aluminum, with steel shaft, tried to polish it, but has pitting, and a few spots are hard to reach, so I'm going to use filler ( either weld, and grind, or some kind of body filler ( bondo or similar ) to smooth it pits, and paint. But all parts are clean, and or new, looking pretty good now, tranny has been cleaned, each gear, shaft, chain, ect. Were cleaned and polished, all bolts were polished ( stainless hardware, brakes cleaned and redone, waiting on 5" pulley, axle spring clips, input shaft spring clips, input shaft bearings, and seals. So going to sandblast ( media blast ) the casings and paint. Also found the axle spacers are chromoly, not aluminum, and polished up very nicely. Parts dropped off at powder coater shop, still need to save a bit to get them back. $350 price tag, for bead blasting and powder coating. Not bad, paid half, will pay remainder after completion.
Found a new set of exhaust pipes, I have all hardware, going to go to ace and get each bolt, nut, washer, ect, all stainless, I think on a black frame, the shinny stainless hardware will look nice.

Here are some more pics.
IMG_0375.JPG

Added this pic, of steering box, when pulled off rusted out kart. Compared to below.
IMG_0494.JPG

Axle spacers, before and after polishing. BIG difference.
IMG_0497.JPG

Transaxle screws before and after. Turned out stainless.
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0499.JPG

Pretty, and clean, tranny gears. That was a DOWNER, man tough job.
IMG_0500.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG

THe best I could do with the steering box. Box looks good, but extension shaft, is pretty pitted ( bondo and paint will fix the issue )
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG

Here is my back porch work shop!
Will continue to keep you updated. Have a great weekend!
Party on!

J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: dirkclod
Did some preliminary painting today.
Decided on a HAMMERED black paint. Mostly to cover small blemishes, and such. Turned out nicely!
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG

Added this pic above, because as I was painting, I kept getting BUZZED, I paid no mind, but it was relentless, so finally, I investigated, and found this hornets nest, nicely placed, where my left foot was, don't think they liked that too much, but at least they got a new shinny coat of hammered black paint! Hammer time!
IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG

SMILE,
J Dot

Flying airplanes and gliders

DSCF0216.JPG 032004-1.JPG 4.jpg

pa28r-200_landing.jpg

That is really cool, azpilot51,
I've always been fascinated with flight! Of any kind really.

Ok,
Doing the finishing touches on the transaxle casings, upon research of ( Dana, Splicer, and Foote ) transaxle models, and finding out what fails on them, and what could be improved.
So my tranny had 4 spots on axles, that looked like they should have grease fittings in them, so I added them ( 2 on top, 2 on bottom ), but also found the differential takes a beating, as well as the input shaft bearings, these 2 spots seem to be a big problem, with these style transaxle, so I placed 2 more fittings n pics below.
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0536.JPG

These should help with keeping those troubled spot well lubricated, and paint turned out pretty nice, will look good with stainless hardware.
Will get assembled and post pics, and steering box should be done as well. The rest is a breeze, but the tranny, and steering box, was a bear!

J Dot

PS: I wanted to add:
Earlier in the post, I stated I had a 7 speed transaxle, this was false, in fact it is a 6 Speed transaxle, I apologize for the error. SORRY,

Got the transaxle back together, just have input shaft ( waiting roller bearings ) and shifter assembly ( missing one ball ) waiting on it bought 2. But pretty much what it will look like.
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG

Not bad from what it was.
IMG_0504.JPG

Lol
Onto finish steering box polishing, going to polish main housing, and paint rest hammered black, stainless hardware.
To be continued:

J Dot

Update:
Steering almost done, looks nice with the stainless hardware, the stuff I could find.
And the axle carrier bearings turned out good as well.
IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG
IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG

To be continued:

J Dot
Have a great night.

Well,
Been a while, did some changes, decided to make it street legal, so reworked the wiring a bit, and some more welding, added a brake switch, running lights, turn signals, brake lights, hi/low beam headlights.

I welded the brake switch bracket sight unseen, as I did not have the switch yet, but it worked out perfectly.
Here is a short vid.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And here are some random pics of the shop, and some other projects, my brother , nephew and I are working on.
IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

Here is the chassis,
IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

Found this
IMG_0601.PNG

Went with ( #0001 )
And this
IMG_0599.JPG

To be continued:

J Dot

Attachments

• IMG_0598.PNG
    IMG_0598.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Reactions: Neon Euc
I decided to do another london ride with my group last week. Heres the latest video in case your interested and have a few beers on the go [emoji4]

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: dirkclod and J Dot
I saw the earlier video about your electric unicycles and I got interested in them. I ended up buying a Segway Mini, not a unicycle but I love it. My dogs like it too because now I can keep up with them.

Reactions: Neon Euc and J Dot
Since I do not own a phantom yet I do have other hobbies. Lol

I love to play racquetball, ride mountain and road bicycles, play saxophone, sing, target shooting, atv riding, a good red wine, good cigars, and also watching my kids play soccer and baseball.

My real hobby is to live life to the fullest and enjoy it with my wife and kids. We enjoying traveling, community service, going to sporting events, and just about everything in between. Oh, and I am a Apple/Mac junky. We have way to many iPhones, iPads, Mac computers, and Apple home automation.

Reactions: J Dot
Good show GITK,
LOL, on the automation, we have 3 kids, 4, 8, & 17yr, and I'm in that club, WAY too many devices, router, like a slug........!
And yes, enjoy each day, as you never know when it could be your last, and ALWAYS tell your Wife and Children you LOVE them!

Good luck on your phantom pursuit, any idea of the model you want! 1, 2, 3, or 4?

J Dot

Good show GITK,
LOL, on the automation, we have 3 kids, 4, 8, & 17yr, and I'm in that club, WAY too many devices, router, like a slug........!
And yes, enjoy each day, as you never know when it could be your last, and ALWAYS tell your Wife and Children you LOVE them!

Good luck on your phantom pursuit, any idea of the model you want! 1, 2, 3, or 4?

J Dot

Fortunately our router is very fast, I pay for business service to my home. But I do not recall the speed. Its comcast cable, then hard wired into apple extreme wireless hubs with two networks, family and guests. I love it, plus we can stream music around the house.

I saw the earlier video about your electric unicycles and I got interested in them. I ended up buying a Segway Mini, not a unicycle but I love it. My dogs like it too because now I can keep up with them.
Oh sweet. I never tried a segway. Bit they do look fun tho [emoji4]

Reactions: GraceIsTheKey
Segways are fun and the learning curve is not to steep. However, once you get the hang of it, it seems very slow (10MPH). Unfortunately learning to ride a segway does not help in riding a unicycle and possibly hurts. When the snow clears around here I will try flying while riding, just to maintain a visual on my drone while still flying the distance.

Hello again,
While I wait for parts to come in, I started working on the 3 steering tie rods, and 2 front end stabilizer tie rods. 5 total rods.

Here is what the worst one looked like
IMG_0628.JPG

So I got some 1/2" steel rod ( 2x 4' pieces, and 2x 3' pieces ) and 10x 5/16-24 RH NUTS, and 10x 5/16-24 LH NUTS.
I welded a RH nut on one end, and a LH not on the other, like this:
IMG_0629.JPG

Then, after a bit of grinding, sanding, and light polishing,
Looked like this:
IMG_0630.JPG

Here is the littlest one of the 5.
IMG_0631.JPG

Going to powdercoat them , along with the rest of the frame and parts. I ordered all new heim joints ( the tie rod end pieces ) the ones in the pic, are just cleaned up, old ones, and they are stiff. Just used for the pics., until new ones arrive.

I now have 3 rods completed, the 2 longest, and the shortest, all the steering stuff, now the last to beam stabilizers ( same length as each other )

J Dot

I started working on the tail light mounts.

Here is the original sketch
IMG_0636.JPG

Then I cut the aluminum out to make this
IMG_0637.JPG

I polished one side, to see
IMG_0638.JPG

Then I cut out the devil T
IMG_0641.JPG

Now just to drill some holes, and counter sinks for the tail lights, and chassis mount holes. And to make a opposite match to this one. Lol

J Dot

Can't stop now, gotta keep going, oh, and happy Easter, to EVERYONE!:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers