Any of you have projects outside of DJI?

Awesome thread! Here's a short video of one of my "hobbies." I am a middle school science teacher and we have an after-school technology club. The kids are doing some pretty amazing things. In this clip you will see Lego and Vex robots, 3D printing and design, underwater ROVs, quadcopters, and even a small crew working on an EOD ex-bomb squad platform. I mentor these kids for free, so I count it as a hobby haha.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: nogo and Spency
View attachment 73780
View attachment 73781

Programming micro controllers, and building the circuits that said micro's are going to run.
This is my most ambitious project to date, it is a loop controller for my boiler. It features 12 temperature inputs, to control the temperatures in 9 different zones in my house. There are 13 user selectable display screens and non-volatile storage for setpoints, etc. (It is actually quite sophisticated, but I won't bore the group with all the details, anyone interested in more detail, or in building one of you own, feel free to ask for more info)

The picture of the printed circuit board is showing what is inside the finished project, but is missing the micro, and a few other parts. I accidentally blew this one up, and used a hot air gun to remove the processor, but removed it a second or so too soon, and tore off 2 traces, so this one is junk

Your project def has the "Cool" factor, too bad you couldn't use it as a road vehicle, imagine the attention it would get. ( I assume it is too small for a road vehicle?)

I've never been able to get my brain wrapped around PLC's. Wish I could but I still like relays and op amps too much. Recently inherited a Raspberry Pi from a coworker I may tinker with this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've never been able to get my brain wrapped around PLC's. Wish I could but I still like relays and op amps too much. Recently inherited a Raspberry Pi from a coworker I may tinker with this summer.

I dabble quite a bit with electronics, have a friend who is an electronics technologist. I used to consult with him occasionally regarding circuit design ( using discrete components) and his idea's always included "use a microcontroller" My response was always " beyond my capabilities". One day he brought a small board he had designed, with a PIC16F720 onboard, and said "here, this will do exactly what you want, and will be easier in the long run".
It was a pretty steep learning curve at first, but, once you get a few projects done, you will never consider discrete components again!

Also, these are not PLC's, they are microcontrollers, which are basically the heart of a PLC, you build your own hardware around the micro. Finished project is usually much more compact than a PLC.(even a micro PLC)

I like PC Ram boards , Muriatic Acid with a touch of Hydrogen Peroxide .
photo5588.JPG flakes.JPG pflakes2hoto.JPG + a few more steps photo 2.JPG throw some fire to it 16,7 grams.JPG just keep adding
5.20.JPG then..BAMmy gild.jpg .978 pure :)

Pass's the time .
stop-hammer-time-o.gif

Reactions: Neon Euc and J Dot
The wife and I do projects all the time. Last year we built this outdoor fireplace.
af460bd06e5013dbc6edcba8f281b495.jpg

Then last spring we built this chicken coop.
3234cff66599e03ff4fe74dfc505bb54.jpg

I have welders a lath all kinds of stuff in my garage. My garage is 35'x40'. Building a queen bed for my daughter right now.

So yes I like to do all kinds of projects.

Reactions: J Dot
image.jpeg
Woodcarving is my other passion. Really helps "whittle away" those winter or stormy days when I can't fly. My avatar is one of my carvings. It was a hobby that my brother and I shared too. Picture is of him and me doing demos in front of the shop where he sold his carvings in St Cloud Fl. Lost him not long after, but have some good memories.

This is what I do for my other hobby. I own and run the official London electric unicycle club and we meet up and go touring. Also associated with the wheelies garage in Singapore. These guys are on TV all the time. But here is a screen shot of what we do
1488114076929.png
1488114085170.png

Neon Euc

I too like electronics, used to play with digital gate ICs when I was a kid. Built what was effectively a stripped down version of a PC using an 8088 clone for Sr Design in college. The microcontroller I had bought that I had intended to use was a bit much. Would have had to learn another assembly/machine language.
I wish I had stuck with it. Hadn't had too much patience to get back to it. I had reprogrammed a Verizon Westell router with an open-source after bricking it with what I thought was a complete source code from Verizon.
Had to tweak the open-source as it didn't quite accommodate the RAM. Also loading the ROM through JTAG was tricky as the JTAG stream went through the WIFI module before the SOC.
I forgot most of that now as it was over 2 years ago.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Good show guys! Lots of really cool stuff! Wow.
Well you guys also gave me inspiration, so I decided, to tear the bucket apart, and restore it. I don't have much time, in my busy schedule, but my brother and I rented a workshop, he builds custom bikes, bobbers mostly, I also have room to work and store my bucket, in a dry environment, and have all tools needed to do the work.,

I pulled it apart, completely, started on the chassis, removing anything rusting badly, and rewelding new parts back.

Here are some pics of the progress!
You remember the bucket
IMG_0231.JPG

Here it is now
IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

Pretty soon, off to powder Coating! Can't wait, wish I had more time to spend on it, but gives me something to look forward to, I'll keep you updated!

J Dot
:cool:

Hey Vern,
Did some polishing today!

Not bad for a quick 15 minute polishing! Will spend some more time, to a mirror like finish!

J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
Well there is this, 04 FXST with a springer front end, 98" 10:1 motor, bunch of other junk. I spend a lot of time on it, always been a motorcycle guy.

45E15FFA-A970-4331-BA95-8A24FF4310C5_zps6c3n9ag8.jpg

Then there is my other 2 wheeled addiction, road biking. I'm 38 and can't run anymore due to knee issues so I took up cycling because I also love to eat everything I see but wanna stay skinny hahaha.

FD267F6E-6972-4B51-89AF-E61659395B30_zpsdz5u8gfs.jpg

Also do indoor target archery (5 spot)

IMG_1186_zpsdcfpwcsn.jpg

And then there's my much younger and much prettier than me bride who takes up the rest of my time.

IMG_0754_zpstztkctiy.jpg

And then there is the cryo plant I spend 6 months a year at that rounds out everything I do with my life hahaha.

DJI00689_zpse9kwlbb7.jpg

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Week #2
Have transaxle apart, for rebuild, same with steering gearbox, all chassis, front beam, and other welding is done, and ground down, ready for powder coating.new brake pedal mechanism, got some wiring harness parts in, still waiting a few items, doing an hour meter, amp meter, and tach. Picked out some headlamps.
IMG_0382.PNG

Been polishing chrome, and aluminum parts all weekend, here is stage one exhaust.

Trying to stay busy, between work, cubscouts, high school football, it is hard! But I'm going to stay focused, I'm a believer in no time is EVER a good time, you just have to bite the bullet, reorganize your finances, rearrange your time, and just stay focused! You'd be surprised at what a little here and there will accomplish! I try to accomplish 1 thing ( at least ) everyday. Weather it be a leaky faucet, broken trim board, new door handle, whatever, next thing you will know. The little stresses of life will be gone, and you can focus on the fun stuff! The ONLY one who can do it is YOU, Thanks to you guys, with your cool projects, interesting work, beautiful significant others, sweet rides, and great friendship, I believe my life is back on track! Finally finishing a project, ( long awaited project ), house is getting fixed up, AND, I even got to fly one of my p2v's today. I have not felt this great, and fullfilled, in a LONG time!

Will keep you updated!
J Dot

Ps, found a supercharger for my v-twin! Stuff just got REAL,o_O

Ok,
Found a motor last night, same as what was on it , but a couple hp more.
Picked up the mower, for $200, only missing motor cowling, runs great, motor is very clean, and mows beautifully., too bad, she will be parted out. But MOVING FORWARD,
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG

Ordered the gaskets, bearings, and races for the steering box, just waiting on parts to finish it
Then onto the tranny. Going to drop frame, front beam, and all smaller part to the powder coaters next weekend. Pretty soon my friends, pretty soon! :)

Just keeping you updated, for those who care, lol.

J Dot

45140efc4ea3832a8a804ceb59210ba4.jpg
e4f184bc2355311ecc81716467796cce.jpg

In the "tinker" category, I'm in to solar power and built a battery backup system that runs the essentials for a few days without the grid. The panels on the roof supply an average of 1200 kWh per month and supply 100% of my power with a respectable surplus the local power company buys from me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I literally just started to build a small system this past week to see if worth while
Your system looks awesome , what size ,how many panels>

I am starting with 2 50 watt panels and 2 35 ahr batteries, 165 watt charger/controller and a 3k peak kisae inverter.
I have run it a few days so far in temp mode to see how it all works and what rates I can get from the panels in Ohio winter sun(or lack).
Just bought a bunch of stuff at Home depot to make panels mounts a few moments ago!
But so far I can see going bigger soon,

Holy Mackeral..! Does the Government know you have all that stuff? :D

Pretty nice I must say and out in the country too. NICE..

I think it a thing us telcom/data guys do with garages
Folks walk in mine and see all the monitors . towers, lights and fun stuff...
and just stop and ask WTF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4