Any flyaway's using latest firmware and/or GS?

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just ordered myself a Vision Plus which will arrive in a couple of days, but reading of all these uncontrollable moments has made me worried about spending so much on something that could have a mind of its own?

Watching the video from DJI suggests that they will allow it to RTH is it receive strong signals or instructions that it shouldn't?

So my question is :

1) Has any flyaway's been reported on firmware 3.04
2) Does controlling it from GS mean it's safer as the autopilot run on a fly plan as apposed to manual inputs from the remote?
3) I've not seen anyone recover the flyaway even in manual mode?
4) should I change the order to an FC 40 as ring cheaper, the loss would be less on terms of £/$?

Just some thoughts before I possibly cancel my order!

Thanks in advance from a newbie!

Thanks,

Chris (Tayloss)

99.99% of flights are trouble-free.

DO NOT cancel your order.
DO watch all the videos and read the manual (online) before you fly your Phantom.
DO start easy! One of the videos that Colin made advise you to, for the first few flights, keep the Phantom facing away from you so that you can master the basic commands (left, right, up, down).
DO NOT dive into the pool before you know how deep the water is! Increase your skills incrementally. "Testing" is a word that scares me coming from newbies. I keep reading "On my fourth flight, I decided to test the 'return to home' feature."

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply!

I wouldn't think about testing anything on such an expensive machine. I have experience of flying quads before so it's not new as such, but love photography/videography and was a tough choice to make.

I know the internet always reports the worst over the good but there has been a lot of 'accidents' with this model on almost all the forums I've visited during 'research' stage!

Thanks for putting my mind at rest

Thanks,

Chris

My Vision + does just fine using 3.04 and GS as well. Never had a single issue with it. Keep in mind that the Internet amplifies any issue beyond its actual proportion. Do people have issues? Yes, some do, but the overwhelming proportion of people do not.

Geert said:
Hi Chris,

I agree with Bob.
Prepare yourself well and take it easy. Don't take any risks and you will be fine.
IMHO, the greatest evil perpetrated by DJI is the "Phantom 2 Vision+ Quick Start Guide." Fortunately, I read this forum and watched a lot of videos before I ordered mine. I realized then that anyone who drinks the DJI KoolAid and flies only on what they read in the Quick Start Guide is begging for heartache.

SilentAV8R said:
My Vision + does just fine using 3.04 and GS as well. Never had a single issue with it. Keep in mind that the Internet amplifies any issue beyond its actual proportion. Do people have issues? Yes, some do, but the overwhelming proportion of people do not.

I agree 100% with Silent. I have over 30 flights on my phanton vision plus with no problems at all , the only problem with forums is that a lot of times they become a sounding boards for people who have problems, all the people with no problems usually do not post on them. My advice is don't cancel you order, learn to fly it step by step and you will be fine

BobUnplugged said:
99.99% of flights are trouble-free.

DO NOT cancel your order.
DO watch all the videos and read the manual (online) before you fly your Phantom.
DO start easy! One of the videos that Colin made advise you to, for the first few flights, keep the Phantom facing away from you so that you can master the basic commands (left, right, up, down).
DO NOT dive into the pool before you know how deep the water is! Increase your skills incrementally. "Testing" is a word that scares me coming from newbies. I keep reading "On my fourth flight, I decided to test the 'return to home' feature."
I agree with all the above except I don't believe that Return To Home should be treated with fear. It's a designed feature that should be learned, understood, and yes tested, as instructed in the Pilots Training Guide. I'll agree that the first time you try it you may be apprehensive, especially if you have previous RC airplane experience where turning off the transmitter would be a disaster, but the RTH feature is designed to handle that scenario only one way - gracefully. So you're not testing RTH to fearfully "see if it will work". It does work as described in the manual. The test is for you to see RTH in action and get comfortable with that feature! And it's only one of many features that enhance the ownership of this amazing quad! Enjoy!

Thanks guys for building my confidence in this product. I'm beginning to think that a lot of the flyaway's are due to many not understanding or being able to control the quad correctly.

I'm looking forward to getting the first few flights under the belt and taking some great photos/video!

Thanks,

Chris

Tayloss said:
Thanks guys for building my confidence in this product. I'm beginning to think that a lot of the flyaway's are due to many not understanding or being able to control the quad correctly.

I'm looking forward to getting the first few flights under the belt and taking some great photos/video!

Thanks,

Chris

That and the fact that people may be going too high too fast with only 6 Sats, and losing GPS guidance once out of view, this indeed has happened to me, the winds can be significantly different at 300ft, I had to fly back by FPV and ground reference when this happened, if you switch to failsafe and there is no GPS lock then it's just a matter of luck if you will get it back. The foil modification has helped a lot. As mentioned by another member, this mod will cut the number of fly aways on those that skirt the 5-6 sat threshold... I agree with that

Yes, I've been reading that thread about the GPS antenna trick.. Interesting to see how that develops!

I for one am not going to be chucking this around, it's not a sports drone after all!

Tayloss said:
Yes, I've been reading that thread about the GPS antenna trick.. Interesting to see how that develops!

I for one am not going to be chucking this around, it's not a sports drone after all!

Tayloss,
Once you get your Phantom, make sure you get around 8 or 9 sats locked within a min or so on the ground, then start your recording before takeoff, if you see a significant dropoff of locked sats I would recommend doing the DroneExperts foil mod... from experience it has worked wonders for my P2V+

I've triggered the Return to Home twice, and on another to flights, it triggered automatically as the drone went out of range (on a total of 11 flights so far). In all instances, it came back to the starting point flawlessly. The first time I did it on purpose, I was apprehensive, but if you take time to do you pre flight calibration and allow a few minutes for sat sync to occur, you should be fine.

I read about all the flyaways, had my own P2V+ and after 3 or 4 flights ordered a second one :). As someone said, the internet magnifies a problem. I was fearful of the Fail Safe myself but am used to it now since I've been doing altitude tests. It works exactly as it should. I have probably 20 flights and over 200 minutes in the air with zero problems.

JWarren said:
I read about all the flyaways, had my own P2V+ and after 3 or 4 flights ordered a second one :). As someone said, the internet magnifies a problem. I was fearful of the Fail Safe myself but am used to it now since I've been doing altitude tests. It works exactly as it should. I have probably 20 flights and over 200 minutes in the air with zero problems.

I truly hope I have as good as an experience as you have. I am going to start very very slowly.

Well good luck to you and please keep us updated. Where are you planning in buying from?

Well mine should be here today from Quadcopters.co.uk! Read and re-read the manual front to back several times so hopefully understand all modes and what they do!

Only thing I'm not sure to do is change to NAZA mode out of the box after FW upgrade?

Although I have seen/heard more success flights lately than so call 'flyaway's'!

Thanks,

Chris

My personal choice has been to stay in Phantom mode. There isn't much difference and I've have great luck with it. I'll eventually end up changing sometime though. Stick with learning Phantom first, you'll be worried enough at first :). Just my opinion.

So, today is the day here for me to fly my V+ for the first time! Have to say I'm a little nervous but have to charge and calibrate before even thinking of lifting and moving around..!

I'll report back on what happens...

Thanks,

Chris

Just a quick report that I'm one battery down and all stable and acting as it should! Feel a little bit better and hope my confidence will grow flight after flight.

I've order so prop guards as in did clip one on the props but nothing damaged as far as I can tell! Thank you for your support and hope I have many hours with my phantom!

welcome to the club :) I support JWarren's point not to switch to NAZA mode. I've yet to see the use for it as PHANTOM mode is pretty solid for me. In time, I will try it, but there is no rush. My advice: take your time; start with small flights keeping good line of sight and steer well away from objects. Learn to be very comfortable with your figure 8 before attempting something fancy. Experiment incrementally in distance and height. Apart from that, a great piece of advice I picked up here: learn to gain altitude quickly as a reflex if you see something unusual occurring in a flight: it's easier to regain control of the situation when the drone is well away from objects such as trees in the clear skies.
Lastly: enjoy!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl