Another Dead Battery

It's in the trouble shooting FAQ for the P3P. Page 49, third entry.

It doesn't seem to be in the FAQ for the P4P, even though both chargers are 100 watt chargers. It may have been an oversight...

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/20170706/Phantom+3+Professional+User+Manual+v1.8.pdf[/QUOTE

Why would they not put that in the before you fly or the quick start information. Charging is almost always the first thing you would do.
Sorry just thinking out loud

When I purchased my P4, the store owner sat down with me for at least 30 mins while we went over everything including registration. He stated that if I charged both the controller and the flight battery at the same time, I would damage the charger.
I've been charging my batteries and controller at the same time since new back in march with out issue . i use the 3 battery station it charges one battery at a time and whenever i need to charge the controller i just plug it in with batteries charging with out issue . seems i only need to charge the controller every 3 battery charges . so i get 9 fligtst with one charge of the remote

That happened to me yesterday. I flew my p4 until 30% then I used up the rest of the battery while transferring files. I guess dji has a taper built in to the battery, so when it goes fully down to 0% it charges REALLY slowly until you get to a certain percentage then it will charge like normal.

Reactions: Droneboondocker
I thought the dji battery's have a reserve of power (around 10%) because there smart battery's

But for normal lipo battery's that would be true, if the battery was really at 0 then it would be puffy and unusable.

Running the battery to anywhere near 0% will do permanent damage to the battery.

Come on Mark, you know me and you know that's not true, I still got batteries with 50+ charges that 50 percent of the time we flew down to one percent or less!! Come on Mark

Reactions: GadgetGuy
From what I know, some of the below might be not exact but global picture not too bad;

Intelligent battery board refuse to charge if there is cell below minimal voltage, around 3.3v. This is a protection. Fully depleted battery can have chemical issues in theory.

Discharge seems rather caused by battery circuit doing ongoing monitoring (i.e count number of days), rather than lipos themselves. Tiny but still some, part of intelligent battery management plan.

Don't do that: Technically, lipos can be reborn by opening the battery and perform some manipulations with balancer cable and charging in Nimh mode to raise voltage up to minimum. Then lipo charge is accepted.

Batteries are charged at factory around 40 % capacity which is recommended by lipos manufacturers (avoid to keep fully charged more than one week or so as can cause some chemistry problems).

From that 40%, think how long battery are stored before customer buy. Can be years and this would be the problem.

An idea; battery health could be checkable thru sealed box thru little window from where we can access battery button. Packaging more expensive but duable for standalone battery boxes, more challenging with foam box.

There is no problem charging flight batteries and RC at the same time, IMO. I've been doing that for over 2yrs on my whole fleet and no problem at all. The only downside is it slows down the charge rate of the batteries, which is OK if you aren't pressed for time. I do the same with the DJI 90W car charger, no problem.

If you recall the P3A had a 55 watt charger. I believe that statement about charging both at the same time was targeted at that 55W charger, but DJI never said that. And, I think the same verbiage got into the P3P manual by mistake, or ignorance, IMO. The P4 and P4P does not have that verbiage in the manual because all P4 craft come with 100W chargers, implying it's OK to charge both at the same time, and I agree, it's OK. Nobody in this forum in 2+yrs has ever had a problem charging both at the same time to my knowledge, and that's a lot of people. I'm sure the OP's problem isn't attributed to charging them at the same time, evident because charging separately had the same results.

The dead flight battery issue is common, and the RC battery issue has been seen too, but that's usually the RC battery will only half charge. But having both of these problems at the same time with a new purchase is really odd, or simply really bad luck. I tend to believe it was charger related, but anything is possible. I think the OP did the right thing, sending it back to the vendor, that's what I would have done, it's just faster.

I've been harping for months about DJI's lack of outgoing test and visual inspection. It's obvious they don't have outgoing inspection or test. If they would add just one minute of basic visual inspection and test when they turn on the craft to link the RC, they would find lots of problems in their craft, allowing them to fix them before they get boxed. That would be a lot cheaper than dealing with all the returns they have today.

I had a bad gimbal in my P4P upon receipt, and this could have easily been found if they simply LOOKED at the craft while it was on during the LINK PROCESS with everything is powered up. All they need to do is hold the craft while it's on (no props installed) and rotate the craft around, watch the gimbal stay level, and feel the gimbal base. Mine would vibrate when tilted left 20 degrees, it was easy to feel and reproduce, you could hear it too. After the craft is booted with no props installed, it took me 15 seconds to find the issue, but DJI doesn't bother. This vibration caused jello in the video when hovering in a wind from the left.

If DJI added ONE MINUTE of test and visual inspection to their process, they could also eliminate the very common CROOKED camera problem so many get. That problem is very apparent, it can be seen in less than 5 seconds during the link process, just LOOK at it and you can see it.

DJI would save themselves lots of money if they had outgoing inspections, verses the thousands of DOA (defective on arrival) returns they deal with. I don't understand why they don't realize the money they're throwing away due to a poor QA process.

Reactions: RémyHeli
That happened to me yesterday. I flew my p4 until 30% then I used up the rest of the battery while transferring files.
Transferring files with the drone on? Why not remove the SD card to transfer the files? It's a lot faster and more convenient.

Running a battery below 25% isn't advised to keep batteries healthy. You should only do that when you're in trouble, trying to get back to home in the wind, etc. Don't make a practice of below 25% or think it's OK to deplete down to 5%, or much worse 0% to the point where the battery automatically shuts down. Unhealthy battery practices may yield less than the normal 200 charges. If you do have to run the battery down below 25%, don't leave it below 25% overnight, charge it up to at least 60% immediately so it's stored at an optimal level.

The P4 and P4P does not have that verbiage in the manual because all P4 craft come with 100W chargers, implying it's OK to charge both at the same time, and I agree, it's OK. Nobody in this forum in 2+yrs has ever had a problem charging both at the same time to my knowledge

Until I started the thread. I received my 1st DJI (P4P) on Tuesday and read the manual, dutifully plugged the remote and battery in, and expected to see them both fully charged in due time. After about one hour when all I had was one blinking light on the remote and one blinking light on the battery I was puzzled, and after two hours I knew there was a problem. Don't know if it was a faulty charger, or faulty batteries, but it left me a bit uneasy. 1st time buyers bad luck? I hope so, that drone is on the way back to the seller, and a new replacement P4P is sitting in my office. Tomorrow I will start by only charging the remote. If that works I'll then charge the battery. I agree....the charger should be able to handle both simultaneously.

Unhealthy battery practices may yield less than the normal 200 charges. .

Hey John, show us a legitimate screenshot of a DJI battery that made it to 200 charges and I'll send you a prize!
I've never seen it, heard of it, & my quick google search didnt find it!

So you guys are overthinking this battery health thang[emoji41]

Reactions: GadgetGuy
OK....opened the P4P and right out of the box much better result. Currently charging the remote and I have the one solid light on the left and 2 more blinking lights.

After 45 minutes I had 4 lights on the remote so I decided to unplug the remote and plug in the battery, voila' after 5 minutes it went from 1 blinking light to 2 blinking lights. So I plugged the remote back in and they are both charging normally....so my 1st delivered drone definitely had a problem (defect).

Reactions: PhamTon
After 45 minutes I had 4 lights on the remote so I decided to unplug the remote and plug in the battery, voila' after 5 minutes it went from 1 blinking light to 2 blinking lights. So I plugged the remote back in and they are both charging normally....so my 1st delivered drone definitely had a problem (defect).

Glad to hear it looks better, Flymeaway.

But we were saying it was probably more the charger itself. As in, a break in the cable etc. Not so much 2 faulty units.

Quick turnaround time anyway from sending it back to getting a new one.

Before you give up, I have to ask, is there a chance your wall socket doesn't work? Have you tried another socket?

Is there a fuse in your charger plug?

Also, could it be the charger's cable? Can you source another cable to see if that charges it?

They might sound obvious but it's just part of the troubleshooting process.

Also, while it may not be written down not to charge both the battery and RC at the same, I have heard that recommendation from other posters here. From your posts it's not clear if you tried charging them separately.

It's very unusual for both the battery and the RC to be both 'broken', as it were, as part of the same package.
I'm just more inclined to think it's cable related.
Flymeaway said: "Mark suggested charging the two separately which I did try but with the same result" Um, so what does that mean to you? :)

When I received my p4a battery was ng
Got it at b and h They replaced it but I went and purchased battery at bestbuy just to make sure it was not the drone
They do have bad batteries

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor