Am I F'd? 1st day, slow landing on grass, disaster!

To the guy that said newbies shouldn't hand catch.... You're so wrong... Hand catching is easy and safe. Bring it in top speed right at eye level, let go of the sticks about 4 feet in front of you, it coasts in maybe another foot, then just reach up and grab it out of the air. Works every time :) The goal is to stop it at full speed just a few inches from your head , the game is called Chicken :) The closest that I have came is about 16" from full throttle but I have it high enough that I can simply tilt my head out of the way if needed. I've never had it slide past me and it always stops within a couple feet. These birds are amazing and can be a lot of fun :)
Better hope nobody ever changes your breaking speed. LOL

Sent from my LG-H810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

rc_elevator rc_aileron rc_throttle rc_rudder
1024 1024 751 1024
1024 1024 745 1024
1024 1024 746 1024
1024 1024 746 1024
1024 1024 733 1024
1024 1024 719 1024
1024 1024 713 1024
1024 1024 710 1024
1024 1024 717 1024
1024 1024 718 1024
1024 1024 718 1024
1024 1024 716 1024
996 1006 706 1024
915 928 677 1024
810 815 613 1064
642 670 540 1141
410 515 484 1182
364 446 376 1256
364 404 364 1298
364 383 364 1301
364 364 364 1338
394 364 364 1420
364 364 364 1546
364 364 364 1684
364 364 364 1684
364 364 364 1684
364 364 364 1684
364 364 364 1684
364 364 364 1684
Here's a diagram to help explain the stick positions above:

P3-RC-Stick-Sketch.JPG

Your throttle wasn't in the full down position until this point in the log:

364 404 364 1298

At that point, both sticks were nearly already in the CSC position.

The Phantom manual and DJI are suggesting that the throttle be moved to the full down position (364) before the sticks are moved to the CSC position. If you had done that, your log would have looked like this:

1024 1024 364 1024

Reactions: Neon Euc and Oso
Same thing happened to me my first flight! Just following the manual and flipped it over! The CSC is a disaster and should have never been put in the manual in the first place! After landing, left stick down until the motors stop, Period!

The ONLY time CSC is a good thing is after you've already crashed and you need to stop the motors quick to keep them from burning up. (ask me how I know this) :p

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Put me squarely in the camp that believes DJI needs to change the manual to remove CSC from the landing sequence. I can see no need to have it written as it is.

When I got my bird I figured I needed to learn the CSC sequence on landing, only because it was in the manual. And admit I was confused as to its purpose?

Ended up tipping the bird over a few times before I decided this procedure for landing didn't make any sense and was an accident waiting to happen.
CSC worked every time I tipped it, so no damage done. But that statement still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth as I see No reason for it.

I have never tried CSC to stop motors. But apparently CSC does not instantly stop motors or there would be no squealing. 3 seconds is too long in an emergency or even a routine landing that involves a tip-over. DJI should provide a method of instantly stopping motors (dedicated switch) or CSC if it is instant. My cheapie 150 toy quad provides a switch on the RC TX that instantly shuts down the motors. This is a safety issue.

Also in the video above it appeared that all the motors stopped except the one that was squealing and smoking. Whey did it not stop? This would seem to indicate that CSC would not work to protect the motors after a crash.

Last edited:
one word so this doesn't happen handcatch

Instant shutoff would also make hand catch safer.

How is this handled with the Pumpkin quad?
same as dji after you catch it motors shut down

I have never tried CSC to stop motors. But apparently CSC does not instantly stop motors or there would be no squealing. 3 seconds is too long in an emergency or even a routine landing that involves a tip-over. DJI should provide a method of instantly stopping motors (dedicated switch) or CSC if it is instant. My cheapie 150 toy quad provides a switch on the RC TX that instantly shuts down the motors. This is a safety issue.

Also in the video above it appeared that all the motors stopped except the one that was squealing and smoking. Whey did it not stop? This would seem to indicate that CSC would not work to protect the motors after a crash.
CSC will turn off motors almost instantly, that's the purpose.
Lowering down the throttle stick need 3 sec to stop the motors.

same as dji after you catch it motors shut down
Be sure not to use the hand for catching that is needed to stop the motors.

Be sure not to use the hand for catching that is needed to stop the motors.
I don't even have rc in my hand when I handcatch

This is why I think it is almost mandatory that NEW P3 owners
Should buy a small flyer like a Hubsan X4 so you learn what to do without losing $100.s of dollars at once.

"Mandatory"? Really?

I would think losing $1000+ is punishment enough for not reading the manual and practice.

Reactions: flpholt
I don't even have rc in my hand when I handcatch
Me either, my RC is hanging by my RC harness. I approach my bird with my left arm protecting my face, grab it with the right hand and then power down with the RC.

Low risk, high consequence action so might as well be safe as possible! When it comes down to it a few cuts on an arm I can accept, losing my eye sight is a different story!

Me either, my RC is hanging by my RC harness. I approach my bird with my left arm protecting my face, grab it with the right hand and then power down with the RC.

Low risk, high consequence action so might as well be safe as possible! When it comes down to it a few cuts on an arm I can accept, losing my eye sight is a different story!
I let mine hoover about 10 feet hit auto land set rc down walk over grab it as it comes down motor shut off bye there self

CSC will turn off motors almost instantly, that's the purpose.
Lowering down the throttle stick need 3 sec to stop the motors.
Then why, in the above video, did the motor scream? He did a CSC - that is what caused the tip-over. If CSC shut down immediately, the motor would not be powered when it hit the grass. I don't know of any way to test this without the danger of smoking a motor. Maybe some of you hand-catchers could get an assistant to do CSC while you hold the bird after catching and time it.

The fact that it tips over also indicates all motors do not shut down at the same time. When I land my cheapie 150 quad I hit the kill switch and all motors instantly shut down. No tendency to tip over. DJI should do a free repair in this case.

Last edited:
Then why, in the above video, did the motor scream? He did a CSC - that is what caused the tip-over. If CSC shut down immediately, the motor would not be spinning when it hit the grass. I don't know of any way to test this without the danger of smoking a motor. Maybe some of you hand-catchers could get an assistant to do CSC while you hold the bird after catching and time it.
There have been several reports of CSC failing to stop the squealing motor in a flip over situation. That is why I asked him that specific question earlier in this post.
I first started to notice it was not rare back in April or so and commented on it then.

Reactions: JoBe and GadgetGuy
You don't have to do a separate full left stick down. The important part is the motors need to be fully throttled down before moving into the CSC position. Again though, the left stick down for 3 seconds is far easier to explain/perform.
Whether true or not, what you have stated is contrary to what DJI wrote in their denial of warranty coverage:

"4) Per our manual as attached we suggest the user lower the throttle stick down to the end to make motors running down, THEN do the CSC command to stop the motors."

The most important point is that the CSC clearly also did not stop the motors, as it should have, under all circumstances! In the video, despite the CSC, after the tip over, one of the motors continued to spin, as it burned up.

This is clearly a case of a CSC manufacturing defect and manufacturer fault for not updating the manual, to the only completely safe way to shutoff the aircraft, namely, left stick only down for 3 seconds. This is unquestionably a DJI covered repair, and DJI will cover it, as soon as this case is escalated appropriately! Combing through the logs in this case is a complete waste of time and a complete a red herring! DJI warranty coverage of this repair is the only issue.

Combing through the logs in this case is a complete waste of time and a complete a red herring!
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Combing the logs clearly showed the shut down procedure was not performed correctly. Whether or not DJI fixes this under warranty is of no concern to me since I was simply confirming what DJI claimed.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Combing the logs clearly showed the shut down procedure was not performed correctly. Whether or not DJI fixes this under warranty is of no concern to me since I was simply confirming what DJI claimed.
Funny. The only thing the OP cares about is the warranty coverage of the repair. That's even the thread title.:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez