Am I F'd? 1st day, slow landing on grass, disaster!

Do you understand that you also must move both sticks to the corners to do a CSC (and not just move them toward the corners)? Perhaps that's why your motors did not stop after your Phantom tipped.
Sure do. That is explained properly.
That should be evident in the flight log.

Yes -- but, it only works properly if done exactly as shown in the manual.
Well I confess, I never read manuals which, in this case, is good. Below is a screen shot from the latest P3P Quick Start Guide:
ThrottleDown.jpg

As an English speaking person I interpret the above to mean: Lower the throttle stick just enough to land and when it lands, execute CSC. The word gently does not mean all the way. Does anyone else interpret it differently?

EDIT: See the next post for proof that pulling down all the way would not help.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to keep beating this subject to death, but words should have meaning. Part of my career was spent as a technical writer and it is obvious the writer for the DJI manual had no hands-on experience. In the MAIN manual, Stopping the Motors, Method 1 appears to be valid if executed properly. So I tested it (without props). Motors idling as they would be after gently landing, pull throttle all the way straight down, and then CSC. Result - the motors briefly speeded up before shutting down which would cause tip-over just like a direct CSC.

I then tried the same procedure but briefly (less than 2 seconds) held the throttle all the way down before CSC. Result - the motors restarted and went to idle. Briefly holding the throttle down actually stopped the motors and then CSC did startup.

Conclusion - Method 1 will never work. It will either flip you bird or restart the motors.

Result - the motors briefly speeded up before shutting down which would cause tip-over just like a direct CSC.
Your Phantom will not tip over if the throttle is in the full down position before you move to the CSC position.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Your Phantom will not tip over if the throttle is in the full down position before you move to the CSC position.
Are you willing to test this with props on? In my testing the throttle was full down before CSC and motor spool-up sounded exactly the same as direct CSC. And if you hold down too long the motors will restart. In the scenario of holding down too long, the P3 will not tip over since that is just like a cold startup.

Last edited:
Are you willing to test this with props on?
Yes. I've done it before.

In my testing the throttle was full down before CSC and motor spool-up sounded exactly the same as direct CSC.
The motors will always spool up -- just as they do when your Phantom starts up.

I have P1s but CSC is still CSC. The first landing and motors off was just left stick all the way down. It did fall over but only because it was sitting uneven and only after props shut down. Next landing was CSC at the end. No problem. Next is left stick down etc. I tried to get the remote in video the best I could. I don't know if P2s, P3s, and P4s act differently but I doubt it. The CSC does shut rotors down more quickly but not by a lot. See for your self.

Reactions: msinger
Yes. I've done it before.

The motors will always spool up -- just as they do when your Phantom starts up.
Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the brief spool-up on startup is done to all motors to make sure the props a tight. The spool-up on CSC is due to extreme stick movement and is not symmetrical; hence tip-over.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the brief spool-up on startup is done to all motors to make sure the props a tight. The spool-up on CSC is due to extreme stick movement and is not symmetrical.
Sorry for being so vague. My point was that your Phantom will not instantly tip when the motors spool up. The startup spool-up is likely a lot more fierce than what's going on when a CSC is performed. And, your Phantom has likely never tipped then.

Check out Monte55's video above. The video shows how the movement should be performed and proves it works as designed.

I'm sorry just handcatch and this will never happen

I didn't read all 10 pages, but I always just use throttle down all the way after landing till the motors stop to shut down the aircraft. No need to csc as it sometimes doesn't go very well if not done exactly right. The only and only "crash"my p3p has ever seen was when my dad tried to csc after landing and the aircraft skid across the pavement at a 45 degree angle till I widely told him to stop and do it with just the throttle stick straight down.

Well DJI have yet again refused to warrant the issue. I am contacting the Dept of Fair Trading to sort this out and to see if I have a case.

I'll let you know how this goes.

Well DJI have yet again refused to warrant the issue. I am contacting the Dept of Fair Trading to sort this out and to see if I have a case.

good luck hope you get it worked out

Reactions: Oso

Can you share their reply here, so we can see how they justify the denial of coverage? If they are now going to deny coverage where there is such clear liabilty on their part, we all need to know about it!:eek:

Hi guys

Just a quick update.
I completed a submission to Dept of Fair Trading (DFT) and the DFT is in talks with the director of the reseller I bought it from. Apparently the buck stops with the reseller and they can be ordered to replace/repair the item. If then the resller isn't compensated by DJI for their loss, then it becomes a legal dispute between reseller and DJI and has nothing to do with me.
I will hopefully hear from the DFT next week.

cheers!
Tim

Reactions: flpholt

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka