Aircraft flew into ground

Reaction score
Went to fly at RC field today. Set up as usual, DJI says aircraft ready to take off. Had 17 satellites. Took off and flew down airstrip and then returned. Looked up and saw aircraft was moving forward, but suddenly stopped. I did not stop it. Looked at screen and the (green GPS) had changed to (red COMPASS LOST leaving GPS). Looked at aircraft. It suddenly started a very fast downward spiral, and crashed hard.
I have flown many times, I never had anything like this happen. Never thought this could happen. I am still in disbelief. Of course it's badly damaged. I am a little upset. I didn't crash into anything, was flying line of site, and I sure as hell didn't fly it into the ground!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, just after it stalled in a hover, it freaked out and started jerking in al directions, before it went into a super fast downward corkscrew spiral and crashed. Any ideas what would do this?

Try uploading your TXT flight log here to see if it reveals what happened.

Okay. Should have time tomorrow night. I just looked at the flight record. Very bizzarre. As if another autonomous program took over. The spiral flight that led to a crash was jerky, but also perfectly symmetrical.

I also had a compass error and AC switched from P-GPS to ATTI ... during a bit of a windy day. First time this happened was after a firmware update.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I contacted DJI. I read their legal disclaimers. You are responsible for all mishaps as the pilot. I fly at an RC field. There are often other pilots present. What would have happened if I was landing and DJI's defective compass caused the AC to go off course and land on another pilot at 66 mph. I would assume total liability, court costs and legal fees. I had know idea that in the event that a faulty board failed in the DJI AC that the AC could drift and descend at 66mph. I would have thought it would switch to ATTI mode and pilot would fly line of sight. I don't think my homeowners would cover bodily damage to another RC pilot.

#2. I read the warranty. If a defect is not reported within 25 days of purchase there is no warranty coverage.

My AC was shipped new less than 3 months ago. I noticed that the AC always took 5 minutes to warm up. I noticed that GPS positioning worked in general, but AC drifted dramatically in 10mph wind.
I calibrated compass, and as you know with DJI App you can't take off if the app sees something is wrong.

Question. How many of you have a million dollar insurance policy for AC liability?
How many of you have the DJI Care Package? Have you used it? Does DJI honor the insurance claims on the DJI Care? Or, do they argue and point to legal disclaimers in their policy?

Really sorry to hear this, best of luck

The warranty has a 15 day period not 25. I am just thinking, my AC lost compass and GPS with 17 satellites. It crashed at 66 mph. Return to home, nothing, controls were useless. I see videos over cities. If a compas went out and AC descended at 66 mph like mine what damage could it cause? Your FAA number is on the AC and DJI says you accept all responsibility and take all risks in the event a defective part causes a crash.

The warranty has a 15 day period not 25. I am just thinking, my AC lost compass and GPS with 17 satellites. It crashed at 66 mph. Return to home, nothing, controls were useless. I see videos over cities. If a compas went out and AC descended at 66 mph like mine what damage could it cause? Your FAA number is on the AC and DJI says you accept all responsibility and take all risks in the event a defective part causes a crash.

Sorry about what happened, had to be crazy to watch!

have submitted the log file to DJI yet?
if not maybe wait until you do before going to far down the negativity road....

the log files are solid as what occurs in flight
and they(DJI) do seem to be good at taking care of non pilot error issues.

good luck !

I contacted DJI. I read their legal disclaimers. You are responsible for all mishaps as the pilot. I fly at an RC field. There are often other pilots present. What would have happened if I was landing and DJI's defective compass caused the AC to go off course and land on another pilot at 66 mph. I would assume total liability, court costs and legal fees. I had know idea that in the event that a faulty board failed in the DJI AC that the AC could drift and descend at 66mph. I would have thought it would switch to ATTI mode and pilot would fly line of sight. I don't think my homeowners would cover bodily damage to another RC pilot.

#2. I read the warranty. If a defect is not reported within 25 days of purchase there is no warranty coverage.

My AC was shipped new less than 3 months ago. I noticed that the AC always took 5 minutes to warm up. I noticed that GPS positioning worked in general, but AC drifted dramatically in 10mph wind.
I calibrated compass, and as you know with DJI App you can't take off if the app sees something is wrong.

Question. How many of you have a million dollar insurance policy for AC liability?
How many of you have the DJI Care Package? Have you used it? Does DJI honor the insurance claims on the DJI Care? Or, do they argue and point to legal disclaimers in their policy?

I'm pretty sure you are referring to the return for refund period here, the warranty is 12 months (less on camera).

It's probably not safe to assume the compass is the culprit. Upload your flight log and perhaps we can provide you with a better idea of what happened.

OK,
Here is the file. What can you see?
My iPhone wasn't compatible with this operation.
Had to go to my computer. Your help is appreciated.
I want to get your opinion, to have my best presentation
to DJI, before I send the unit back for inspection and
repair or replacement.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-10_[15-12-00].txt
    224 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
OK,
Here is the file. What can you see?

Hi JWFlyer (who I assume is also Jeff Watson?)

The gurus here actually meant for you to upload the file to the amazing PhantomHelp site listed in post 3 above rather than just attach it - I have done that for you, here's the link:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Unfortunately I am too much of a noob to help you understand it, but I can at least help in this little way. :)

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing