Aircraft flew into ground

KiwiBird. Yes, I made another account from my computer. The iPhone would not work for these operations. I also saved a PDF to send, but it was like your screen capture. There is more info. Should take these guys awhile to look at. All they need to do is download and go to the site that converts the text file. Thanks to all for helping. I think these logs should be interesting for everyone to see and learn from

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

KiwiBird. Yes, I made another account from my computer. The iPhone would not work for these operations. I also saved a PDF to send, but it was like your screen capture. There is more info. Should take these guys awhile to look at. All they need to do is download and go to the site that converts the text file. Thanks to all for helping. I think these logs should be interesting for everyone to see and learn from

You should have been able to log on at your computer with your existing account.

The flight log reveals motor speed errors coinciding with the compass errors. This is usually what we see with a lost prop in flight, motor overspeed with the flight controller increasing RPM on the propless motor in a fruitless effort to generate thrust iwhile the non commanded yaw triggers a compass error. You say however that all props (or at least the hubs with respect to the two described as broken) were still on he bird when you recovered her. Is it possible there was an in flight collision that broke a prop?

1. They were brand new carbon fiber, DJI props. I found their parts in pieces at crash site. Hmmm... Could one of the props have come lose? Where it's motor is spinning but the prop doesn't turn?

2. What do you think about warranty?
I always tighten props before take off. Went down runway and back. Video doesn't show any piece of prop flying or any jerkiness until crash.

3. Would it be affordable fixable? Impact speed 66 mpg. Camera had mud on it and broke off, one rotor arm bent?

Last edited:
They were brand new carbon fiber, DJI props. I found their parts in pieces at crash site. Hmmm... Could one of the props have come lose?

It would need to be completely off, just loose and it would have tightened itself. If it flew off in flight you most likely would have found it intact (if lucky enough to find it).

DJI sent shipping label. I guess the next best thing is to let them look at it and determine if it's repairable or if it's covered on warranty.

The prop could have struck something in the air. Maybe a small bird or larger bug, and that broke the prop.
Also those carbon blades are brittle, they don't give or flex like the plastic ones. It seems best to stick with the plastic ones. I read so many posts about crashes with carbon props on the P3. I used them on my other quads with no issues. Other than the brittle part. Once they strike something,they shatter. The plastic ones will chip, but you can still keep the quad in the air a little longer...Unless it's a racing quad.

Sent from my Pixel XL using PhantomPilots mobile app

Interested in your outcome with DJI Jeff. I have DJI care for my P3A but not needed it yet and hopefully won't. What worries me more is the AC landing on someone at speed in a situation like yours even though I fly away from people etc. you can't always account for loss of control etc.

Good luck and please update us [emoji3]

I contacted DJI. I read their legal disclaimers. You are responsible for all mishaps as the pilot. I fly at an RC field. There are often other pilots present. What would have happened if I was landing and DJI's defective compass caused the AC to go off course and land on another pilot at 66 mph. I would assume total liability, court costs and legal fees. I had know idea that in the event that a faulty board failed in the DJI AC that the AC could drift and descend at 66mph. I would have thought it would switch to ATTI mode and pilot would fly line of sight. I don't think my homeowners would cover bodily damage to another RC pilot.

#2. I read the warranty. If a defect is not reported within 25 days of purchase there is no warranty coverage.

My AC was shipped new less than 3 months ago. I noticed that the AC always took 5 minutes to warm up. I noticed that GPS positioning worked in general, but AC drifted dramatically in 10mph wind.
I calibrated compass, and as you know with DJI App you can't take off if the app sees something is wrong.

Question. How many of you have a million dollar insurance policy for AC liability?
How many of you have the DJI Care Package? Have you used it? Does DJI honor the insurance claims on the DJI Care? Or, do they argue and point to legal disclaimers in their policy?

I contacted DJI. I read their legal disclaimers. You are responsible for all mishaps as the pilot. I fly at an RC field. There are often other pilots present. What would have happened if I was landing and DJI's defective compass caused the AC to go off course and land on another pilot at 66 mph. I would assume total liability, court costs and legal fees. I had know idea that in the event that a faulty board failed in the DJI AC that the AC could drift and descend at 66mph. I would have thought it would switch to ATTI mode and pilot would fly line of sight. I don't think my homeowners would cover bodily damage to another RC pilot.

#2. I read the warranty. If a defect is not reported within 25 days of purchase there is no warranty coverage.

My AC was shipped new less than 3 months ago. I noticed that the AC always took 5 minutes to warm up. I noticed that GPS positioning worked in general, but AC drifted dramatically in 10mph wind.
I calibrated compass, and as you know with DJI App you can't take off if the app sees something is wrong.

Question. How many of you have a million dollar insurance policy for AC liability?
How many of you have the DJI Care Package? Have you used it? Does DJI honor the insurance claims on the DJI Care? Or, do they argue and point to legal disclaimers in their policy?

I have DJI Care and used it twice. No problems, no questions. They pay for shipping.
The insurance covers everything except flyaways and obvious abuse. Breakage from accidentally breaking it i.e..from drop and crashes from pilot error ARE included. Very happy I purchased it

Reactions: Jeff watson
I have DJI Care and used it twice. No problems, no questions. They pay for shipping.
The insurance covers everything except flyaways and obvious abuse. Breakage from accidentally breaking it i.e..from drop and crashes from pilot error ARE included. Very happy I purchased it
#### When I said "everything" it wad in regard to physical damage to the Phantom. It does not insure for liability.
Membership in the AMA comes with liabilty insurance but only in approved AMS sites. I doubt there is liabilty insurance that would cover most of the public areas we fly quads in.

Reactions: Jeff watson
There is no time limit. If you wait longer than 48 hours after activating the Phantom, DJI will require a video to be recorded and sent to them to show the Phantom is in working order.

There is no time limit. If you wait longer than 48 hours after activating the Phantom, DJI will require a video to be recorded and sent to them to show the Phantom is in working order.
I stand corrected: Good to know!

OK. Reporting back to the public here. I sent in a request to DJI, to pull log and review the last flight with crash to determine if crash was operator error or equipment malfunction. DJI ignored the request, did not respond in defense of their product. They simply repaired and sent an invoice for the repair.

I wonder if the P3/P4 are their bread & butter or if they're now more interested in the professional segment. Anyone knows?

Sent an invoice for repair (as in a firm quote requiring payment to proceed)? If you log in with the reference number they would have provided in the email with the rma (or earlier email from them) you might get some clues).

They will have looked at the log file on the AC. I would open an online chat, quote your reference number and ask them what the cause of the crash was in their view and take it from there.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj