Aircraft flew into ground

Update on warranty claim.

DJI sent invoice for repairing aircraft. Denied warranty claim based on flight record from another aircraft I was flying last September.
I don't know what to expect. I filled out all forms and listed all info. Technician failed to read the info.

I tried contacting DJI online. The wait was 20 people ahead in que. I waited and the number waiting increased to 54. I emailed DJI.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
The log was pulled from your quad, how can it come from other quad.

The log was not pulled from my AC. They just asked me to re-sync DJI Go App flight records to iCloud.

Last edited:
Friday DJI Support emailed that the crash would be investigated by the warranty team on Monday to see if it could be covered. Tuesday has ended. Still no word. I may have to make a You Tube vid on this.

If you go to forum.dji.com and put in a topic in the Support subforum, a DJI rep will usually help.
However they never did send me new props like they said they would.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Latest update. I was just emailed by DJI Support. My case was not resolved by the data analysis team. Today, it will be reviewed by a higher level analyst today.

OMG. DJI responded. They said the would not honor warranty, because the flight log in my IPad synced to iCloud belongs to another user. WTF??? DJI support is NFG!!!!

Latest update. I was just emailed by DJI Support. My case was not resolved by the data analysis team. Today, it will be reviewed by a higher level analyst today.

From my moderately layman's view, that sounds like total dji guff to me... Surely if you are employed to analyse data, you can either do it.... or you can't..

Many years ago, my office used to use this ploy all the time. If a work colleague was getting serious grief from a customer and demanded to speak to his 'manager', I would come on the line as 'his manager', (plus going on to denounce him as a 'total imbecile') the whole situation would be reset, and we'd start again. Reciprocally, he used to do the same for me.... :)

Hopefully this might portend dji backing down gracefully and it'll eventually go your way... ;)

[LATER] ...or maybe not.... :(

Reactions: Jeff watson
I have read other threads, where other pilots have bought new Phantoms, only to discover wear and tear and defects. They claim they were sent a refurbished AC. This appears to be a possibility. I purchased new direct from DJI. Problems out of the box were 5 to 6 minute AC warm up. Constant compass errors that needed recalibration. Could DJI have sent me a Phantom that was previously sold and registered to another pilot and then returned for these defects? I am beginning to smell a rat.

This was beyond a joke a long time ago? Does DJI have your AC? If they do why all the fluffing around with DJI GO app flight logs? The logs from the AC should be the best available data for analysis. In any case you have the GO app log, out posted it earlier. You could email them that file. Bear in mind the GO app log suggests you list a prop in flight. The AC log analysis is preferable for obvious reasons.

DJI has the AC. I offered to send them the Go App Log. They said they did not want it. They are accusing me of using another pilots log to try and receive warranty repair work.

If your logs are on your registration, they can view the logs directly from your account which means its your drone and your flight. I don't think you can transfer logs from one account to another. See if you can get Natalia on forum.dji.com to intervene. They always ask for the case number and ask if your forum login is the same as your flight account login.

Well, I am going to try once more to resolve this issue. DJI has reviewed the flight log, and has denied warranty, saying the flight log belongs to another pilot. I just checked my DJI Go App on my iPad. All flights are still on the app. I looked at several flight logs just before the one with the crash. There were 2 instances where I tried a waypoint flight and the flight was not allowed due to compass error warnings. If I don't get a professional response, I am going to file a complaint with the BBB. They already have many DJI complaints filed. I will also bring this issue up at the next Casa de Aero club meeting. Held at Embry Riddle Aeronautical university. Embry Riddle RC flight instructors are present at these meetings.

Come to think of it, I would expect the AC's serial # to be included in the flight log, which in turn should be tied to your account and the AC's activation.
Makes me wonder how they handle refurb replacement on some repairs.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am wondering if they sent me an AC that was returned by a store because of compass errors or defects. AC always took 5 minutes to warm up before DJI Go App would say ready to take off. Other pilots at the RC field don't seem to have to warm up at all.

I wouldn't worry about the IMU warm up time, at least I wouldn't suspect it contributed to your crash. Long warm ups usually mean the IMU was calibrated in a warmer environment than that you are flying in. I have had that also moving into the cooler months. The simple fix is to perform an IMU Calibratiiion in a cool environment, that often means simply leaving it outside at night time for 30min or so powered off.

I would insist that DJI look at the AC flight log for the crash flight however from the GO log you uploaded I would suspect they will ultimately say that the incident was attributed to a lost/failed propellor in flight.

You could argue that you used genuine CF props and we're sure they were properly installed. See if you can get them to a 50/50 split on the repair cost.

In the event they won't budge younhave to decide if it's economical based on what a new AC will cost you. I haven't been tracking the prices so I am unable to assist here however I would opt to get my AC repaired if it was around or slightly more than a second hand AC. Looking at how they have dealt with recent repairs it is likely they will send a refurbished (perhaps even new AC) with warranty so less worry about the history of a secomd hand AC.

I have had warranty honoured work with DJI and it was fast and performed well with great communication. I suspect it depends on who you deal with. I can understand your frustration.

They had sent a bill and said I would have AC returned in two days. They got to be sending new or refurbished. I'll call them Monday and drive them to a conclusion.

Went to the Better Business Bureau site and looked up DJI services LLC. They have a lot of complaints. 76% negative experience. Going to call these guys today.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164