Aircraft flew into ground

Another day gone by, another email sent to DJI Support, and another day of total silence from DJI. I think ya gotta say, they don't like honoring warranty work.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Another day gone by, another email sent to DJI Support, and another day of total silence from DJI. I think ya gotta say, they don't like honoring warranty work.

They have honored warranty for me twice with zero issues. No questions asked and a pretty quick turn around time.

Your log was looked at by someone one here. It showed that you broke a prop mid flight, broke because they all four were still attached, but two were broken at the hub. This happens with carbon props, they do not give like plastic props. You can find several stories just like yours when using carbon props.

"The flight log reveals motor speed errors coinciding with the compass errors. This is usually what we see with a lost prop in flight, motor overspeed with the flight controller increasing RPM on the propless motor in a fruitless effort to generate thrust while the non commanded yaw triggers a compass error. You say however that all props (or at least the hubs with respect to the two described as broken) were still on he bird when you recovered her. Is it possible there was an in flight collision that broke a prop?"

I think this is probably what DJI has found in their analysis also.

They gave no reply. Only to an old DJI Go App txt file from 4 months ago on another AC that was lost. No trees in the area. Anything is possible. AC flew fine for four minutes, then fell. DJI carbon fiber props may be a problem. If they know this why do the sell them? It's a DJI Phantom and DJI Props. Something they sold wasn't right. If I did something wrong, it would make sense, a problem would have shown up right away.

Reactions: lipa29
I didn't see any on this flight. But freak things could happen.
Even some debris, picked up in the wind could damage a prop.

Fact. Tech looked at a file from another AC that I owned. Fact, tech looked at DJI Go App txt file, tech did not look at latest log from internal SD. Fact, when tech was made aware of this, he ignored me. For all I know they reviewed the txt from crash and are fixing AC. There is no communication. Fact, DJI is not acting in a professional manner.

I didn't see any on this flight. But freak things could happen.
Even some debris, picked up in the wind could damage a prop.

Fact. Tech looked at a file from another AC that I owned. Fact, tech looked at DJI Go App txt file, tech did not look at latest log from internal SD. Fact, when tech was made aware of this, he ignored me. For all I know they reviewed the txt from crash and are fixing AC. There is no communication. Fact, DJI is not acting in a professional manner.

Can't you call a phone number and talk to someone?

They gave no reply. Only to an old DJI Go App txt file from 4 months ago on another AC that was lost. No trees in the area. Anything is possible. AC flew fine for four minutes, then fell. DJI carbon fiber props may be a problem. If they know this why do the sell them? It's a DJI Phantom and DJI Props. Something they sold wasn't right. If I did something wrong, it would make sense, a problem would have shown up right away.

I am referring to the log that YOU posted. It looked like it was concluded that a prop broke mid flight.
Check this out Crash caused by propeller cracking in mid air hovering-qualtiy issue.

@HWCM... Read your threads. Your argument holds water. I did not know carbon fiber props presented this kind of risk. DJI makes the carbon fiber props used. No warning on package. I agree with your ideas, however I am disappointed in DJI Support. It seems they have a poor protocol for warranty issues. That being said, I am going to make a call to DJI tomorrow and see where this request for repair is at, since emails get no response. I can always hope they have fixed it under warranty and its shipping back. I'll let you know. Thanks to everyone who has given their input.

Reactions: HWCM
OMG... I called them up, explained everything. The Tech still goes back to reviewing the file from an old aircraft with a different serial number. I called again this morning and talked to someone different. I took the time to fill out the form, I took the time to call and explain. The problem is the tech does not read anything on the form. He or she just makes an evaluation.

I am concluding, you guys are right. This has to be a prop problem, due to using carbon fiber props. Looking at the broken pieces I can see lots of tiny threads running through the props, and can just image the fibers could cause a very weak thread to screw on motor shaft, causing it to strip easy. My beef is, DJI sells these props. They should state, "it has been determined by other pilots, these props are NFG! Use at your own risk". But they don't, so I used them and trashed a fairly new, never crashed AC.

I am concluding, you guys are right. This has to be a prop problem, due to using carbon fiber props. Looking at the broken pieces I can see lots of tiny threads running through the props, and can just image the fibers could cause a very weak thread to screw on motor shaft, causing it to strip easy. My beef is, DJI sells these props. They should state, "it has been determined by other pilots, these props are NFG! Use at your own risk". But they don't, so I used them and trashed a fairly new, never crashed AC.

Escalate. Ask for a supervisor. At least get someone to say exactly what they feel happened with this flight. Not based on some old log. Then, bring your case about the DJI carbon fiber props. Then write a very professional letter to their corporate customer service and copy the CEOs office. And I do not need email. I mean a registered certified letter. They are playing passive aggressive.

Reactions: Jeff watson
One more note. AC hovered while throttling controls. Then got weak signal, compass error and crash. 2 props were not broken and still on AC, 1 hub on, blades broken and one prop off not broken. All in the same area of crash.

I'm thinking prop issue. Even you admit above that one prop was off and still intact. This signals a prop loss.

Your log was looked at by someone one here. It showed that you broke a prop mid flight, broke because they all four were still attached, but two were broken at the hub. This happens with carbon props, they do not give like plastic props. You can find several stories just like yours when using carbon props.

"The flight log reveals motor speed errors coinciding with the compass errors. This is usually what we see with a lost prop in flight, motor overspeed with the flight controller increasing RPM on the propless motor in a fruitless effort to generate thrust while the non commanded yaw triggers a compass error. You say however that all props (or at least the hubs with respect to the two described as broken) were still on he bird when you recovered her. Is it possible there was an in flight collision that broke a prop?"
Just to clarify that was my best guess given the log from the GO App posted. It would be really nice if DJI looked at the AC log.

Thanks for all your suggestions and your interest in helping me favorably resolve this issue with DJI. I just received 2 emails from DJI. One letter stated they overlooked info on repair form and diagnosed a flight from a fly away I had last year. The second was from a different person, asking me to sync my DJI Go flight App to ICloud. That agent stated, he would then forward case to a tech, who would re-evaluate the crash and let me know if the repair could be covered under warranty. The did not want the DJI txt flight log for the review.

I'm thinking prop issue. Even you admit above that one prop was off and still intact. This signals a prop loss.
I missed that completely (the intact prop off the AC). It's all making sense now,
Thanks for all your suggestions and your interest in helping me favorably resolve this issue with DJI. I just received 2 emails from DJI. One letter stated they overlooked info on repair form and diagnosed a flight from a fly away I had last year. The second was from a different person, asking me to sync my DJI Go flight App to ICloud. That agent stated, he would then forward case to a tech, who would re-evaluate the crash and let me know if the repair could be covered under warranty. The did not want the DJI txt flight log for the review.

if you sync your flights as requested they have the .txt you pulled from the GO App.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164