After the Crash: What now?

ericdes said:
I think the key element you stated in the post is that you had Carbon fiber props. They are well know to break upon impact compared to stock props.

Either the prop hit the prop guard and broke, or the prop hit the bird and broke. Is it also possible that for an unforeseen reason it unscrewed (?) and flew off? Maybe if it was rapidly descending in its prop wash, but highly unlikely, and in your case it wasn't .

I'd like to know that as well. I asked on the previous page but maybe it was missed: was the prop broken and the nut still in place? Or was the nut missing too?

Mike

I did mention this on the first page:

"We couldn't find the prop or nut when we looked around the crash site, which also indicated it separated up in the sky."

Here is a picture of the motor. It looks to me that the screw was damaged on impact with the concrete. So this would suggest that the neither the prop nor the nut were attached when it crashed.

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 341
Hard to tell from the shot, but is that the actual shaft that got damage or is that molten-metal-looking piece at the end maybe a piece of the nut that is still on the threads?

Mike

mikeydaddio said:
Hard to tell from the shot, but is that the actual shaft that got damage or is that molten-metal-looking piece at the end maybe a piece of the nut that is still on the threads?

Mike

It's the actual shaft.

gavinski said:

"We couldn't find the prop or nut when we looked around the crash site, which also indicated it separated up in the sky."

Here is a picture of the motor. It looks to me that the screw was damaged on impact with the concrete. So this would suggest that the neither the prop nor the nut were attached when it crashed.

Spoken like the NTSB! Sounds pretty definitive to me.

ianwood said:
gavinski said:

Spoken like the NTSB! Sounds pretty definitive to me.

I didn't meant to sound so official. :)

But I am pretty convinced that while the equipment may have somehow been at fault, the NTSB would determine this was pilot error. Which is why I don't fly real airplanes. And that reminds me of a scary/sobering book I read many years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/They-Called-P...F8&qid=1393537732&sr=1-7&keywords=pilot+error

Wow, what a crash. I feel terrible for you. After having a couple of close calls using after market parts I have decided to ONLY use factory DJI props from now on. They're the only ones guaranteed to actually fly the Phantom properly. Ive had some shocking experiences using fake DJI blades as well as CF blades. Its just not worth it, quite simple.

PetePerrim said:
Wow, what a crash. I feel terrible for you. After having a couple of close calls using after market parts I have decided to ONLY use factory DJI props from now on. They're the only ones guaranteed to actually fly the Phantom properly. Ive had some shocking experiences using fake DJI blades as well as CF blades. Its just not worth it, quite simple.

After my experience, I'd say this is good advice. I didn't really notice any performance improvement in using them anyway.

So sorry about your loss....what goes up will come down, one way or another...I have been flying RC since my teens...an now retired and still flying. I have crashed my share, and mostly pilot error was the main fault. Had a $1,200 carbon fiber 12' wing span sailplane....checked CG...checked all controls over and over again....Put her on the 1,000' winch line and let her rip....when I dipped and came off the winch line....down, down, down...full up...flaps up...still down down to the ground...I feel your pain. Good point about carbon fiber props...after flying the Phantom 2 Vision for a month...wanted to get a little more foxy with the new props.....crashed three times that day....all pilot error...coming down too fast into a wobble twice...not leaving enough space between the ground and the craft before going neutral on the sticks. No damage...thank goodness...soft crashes. I now stick with the DJI white plastic props....no crashes since. Keep em in the air guys.

Agree with keeping the white plastic self tightening blades, I crashed just on a quick take off with the Carbon fibre replacement blades, Blade flew off in two pieces from what looked like a hairline crack after retrieving the pieces, may have been from over tightening? No crashes with the stock white plastic blades,,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing