After 100 flights, 127km, 13hours, P3P conclusion

What repairs have u done bob and how? Do u have any pics? Did u open the shell and poured resin glue on the base of each arm?
I had the shell open at one time to replace a motor, however it was before the cracks were an issue. If I had known about it at the time I definitely would have done the epoxy fix on the ends of the arms. I have used CA glue on the few exterior cracks that I had. I made sure that all the motor mount bolts and shell screws were not over torqued by backing them out and retightening them. I originally purchased snap on prop guards and have had those mounts on there since June. Don't use the prop guards much unless I am flying around buildings or tree trunks, but the mounts serve a dual purpose since the crack scandal popped up. Haven't used ties yet because my arms are still stable.. but that would be my next move if need be. :):)

Reactions: Mr.Spock
I don't understand the 50% rule. I fly first 8-10 times until 50 % then recharge ? And then i use the bats till 30 % i never go below 25% by the way. And i always charge them only on the day or a day before flying. Also the RC i change fully before i fly even if its 80 or 70 % charged.
Sounds good, but ocassionally let the RC go down below 50 % -- a youtube recommendation from Mad RC -- guy knows a lot about lipo battery use.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
I dont know of the thread, but when I got my P3P I read to fully charge it, then fly it for the first 8-10 flights landing at 50% battery every time. Only charge it again when you are ready to fly, then after 10 flights or so you are good to go.

Did a quick search and got a few threads - Search Results for Query: battery break in | DJI Phantom Forum
This is what I was told as well, 10 flights to 50%, then you can go lower on your battery but make sure to drain it all the way down to 8% after each time you hit 20 flights, to keep it conditioned.

Fly safe

Thanks for your thoughts. I am at flight 177 and knock on wood all is well so far. Same props working good. Compass calibrate when suggested by rc. Only takes 30 seconds so why not. IMU calibrated when I bought the unit no indication I should be doing it again. Still getting 20 minutes from both batteries. No stress cracks. No prop balancing. I try and keep RC charged like you do. Aircraft batteries I don't go below 20%. The investment is not worth the risk. I clean mine regularly to take the fly blood off the props. I have a rule of always keep in line of sight. Lost sight a few times and it's a scary thing for me. So far I've enjoyed every flight. I us ND filters and would encourage any serious videographer to do the same, then watch Frederick Hagan's video on how to effectively use them. Thanks all
Can U put in the link to that video. Thanks

Pretty much have the same flight time too (over 100) Droned pretty much everywhere in east Canada. Although I was hired by a filming company to drone the country of Congo (Brazzaville) inside 3 weeks, (1 month ago), that was a real and awesome experience. Amazing challenges for me and the drones (3 P3Ps) Everything went well. No crashes or major problems. Droned everyday in all sorts of conditions. The stories I have with the drone are numerous and amazing. I even got a drone confiscated by the army. Anyway, I could eventually talk about it here on the forum. My list of things to consider are pretty much like Elie (Bit different) But yes, if you want to be consistent and successful flying, It's a must to have a method of use, learning from those and others too. I bought my P3 in the first week it came out, close early June I think. It's still an amazing little filming device. I'll also consider your ND Filters. Anyway, thanks for your post. Dan

Reactions: elie kattar
Hello, would like to give my point of view on the P3P experience so far, as i started my journey using this amazing drone, i have set the following points as the things i learned during this period:

1- started with no break in process for my battery that eventually failed after 14 flights showing a huge gape 0.08+ on cell 1, not assuming that break in was the solution but after replacing my battery the new ones performed much better and still holding on after a breaking in process. ( 40 flights +)

2- zip ties on the arms of my phantom helped dramatically reduce the possibility of having stress cracks which, with a bit of care, never had so far. So yes zip ur bird well and this will help it absorb more vibrance and sustain hard turns/stops in flight.

3- balancing props, yes and yes again balancing props indeed is a small effort to avoid much stress on the arms/motors and helped me achieve so far long time flights with zero issues. My setup in du bro balancer + aluminium rod. From Amazon.

4- gimbal guard 3D made, have to thanks ebay user dwet6162 for his efforts and commitments producing lots of modes / accessories to maximise productivity and efficiency with the P3 setup, in general there's no dedicated effect for the guard itself but it is a great way to provide security for such a sensitive gimbal, mine did protect it few times during landings.

5- ND fliters from nicolas photography, also great product for the price you wont be able to tell the difference your self unless you try it, its an advice for those who never uses a filter, in my own experience the impact was surprising on a 3 stop fliter, and i had amazing results using it.

6- windsurfers DiY or 3D made, well yes as i first used it i thought the same way we all thought first, how much will it increase the range....? How can I tell if its really working well i have experienced it my self and i can say it worked well increasing right arround an extra 500 meter clear reception, on my 2000meter standard range. So a total of 2.5k meter clear signal decreasing to 3.5k but still acceptable.

7- turning off the ultrasonic sensor + camera, helped avoiding unwanted behaviors of the drone like the ones several mentioned ( drop downs and lapses in close range flights and low altitude ones) well for long range flights I had it always off.

8- carbon fiber spacer gimbal guard, got this one from a chinese store, but eventually worked quite well, I have ziped tide it also to the landing arms on my phantom and actually i realised doing helped a lot increasing structure integrity for hand catch landings, most of the time a single pilot is forced to catch it one handed from one side of the arms so this will contribute in some stress on the interior chassis causing some cracks next to the battery housing, this solved and in general feels much more stable while catching it one handed.

9- carbon fiber props, well i have replaced mine for the hell of it, the carbon ones for sure felt more durable and less bendable, but in performance i felt like the phantom fights wind better with faster forward speed in case of moderate winds, the only draw back is the flight sound, its noisier then the plastic ones. But actually recommend them for long range.

10- 25% was my dead line landings on mid range flights 1.5k meter range, i never missed this mark and this helped me preserve my batterys quite well, 2.5k meter was back at 15% to 20% with some media pauses.

11- always performed updates, after each one ( cold imu calibration), gimbal auto calibration, and one time compass calibration i always fly in a diameter of 30km so i never actually needed to calibrate it each time.

12- cleaned it every 10 flights from dust and sticky stuff.

13- one important thing is that i never flew it next to metals and other magnetic interference spots, always care not to calibrate it next to cars, and machinery even if it succeeded i never could have trusted it.

14- as for the transmitter always used it until the first battery light then fully charged, it lasts arround 7 to 10 flights usually.

So far that's my recap on some of the things I used to last that long with no issues hope it helps u guys out there, feel free to comment or advice, in the end its one big growing hobby that needs everyone's help and experience. Cheers
Hello, would like to give my point of view on the P3P experience so far, as i started my journey using this amazing drone, i have set the following points as the things i learned during this period:

1- started with no break in process for my battery that eventually failed after 14 flights showing a huge gape 0.08+ on cell 1, not assuming that break in was the solution but after replacing my battery the new ones performed much better and still holding on after a breaking in process. ( 40 flights +)

2- zip ties on the arms of my phantom helped dramatically reduce the possibility of having stress cracks which, with a bit of care, never had so far. So yes zip ur bird well and this will help it absorb more vibrance and sustain hard turns/stops in flight.

3- balancing props, yes and yes again balancing props indeed is a small effort to avoid much stress on the arms/motors and helped me achieve so far long time flights with zero issues. My setup in du bro balancer + aluminium rod. From Amazon.

4- gimbal guard 3D made, have to thanks ebay user dwet6162 for his efforts and commitments producing lots of modes / accessories to maximise productivity and efficiency with the P3 setup, in general there's no dedicated effect for the guard itself but it is a great way to provide security for such a sensitive gimbal, mine did protect it few times during landings.

5- ND fliters from nicolas photography, also great product for the price you wont be able to tell the difference your self unless you try it, its an advice for those who never uses a filter, in my own experience the impact was surprising on a 3 stop fliter, and i had amazing results using it.

6- windsurfers DiY or 3D made, well yes as i first used it i thought the same way we all thought first, how much will it increase the range....? How can I tell if its really working well i have experienced it my self and i can say it worked well increasing right arround an extra 500 meter clear reception, on my 2000meter standard range. So a total of 2.5k meter clear signal decreasing to 3.5k but still acceptable.

7- turning off the ultrasonic sensor + camera, helped avoiding unwanted behaviors of the drone like the ones several mentioned ( drop downs and lapses in close range flights and low altitude ones) well for long range flights I had it always off.

8- carbon fiber spacer gimbal guard, got this one from a chinese store, but eventually worked quite well, I have ziped tide it also to the landing arms on my phantom and actually i realised doing helped a lot increasing structure integrity for hand catch landings, most of the time a single pilot is forced to catch it one handed from one side of the arms so this will contribute in some stress on the interior chassis causing some cracks next to the battery housing, this solved and in general feels much more stable while catching it one handed.

9- carbon fiber props, well i have replaced mine for the hell of it, the carbon ones for sure felt more durable and less bendable, but in performance i felt like the phantom fights wind better with faster forward speed in case of moderate winds, the only draw back is the flight sound, its noisier then the plastic ones. But actually recommend them for long range.

10- 25% was my dead line landings on mid range flights 1.5k meter range, i never missed this mark and this helped me preserve my batterys quite well, 2.5k meter was back at 15% to 20% with some media pauses.

11- always performed updates, after each one ( cold imu calibration), gimbal auto calibration, and one time compass calibration i always fly in a diameter of 30km so i never actually needed to calibrate it each time.

13- one important thing is that i never flew it next to metals and other magnetic interference spots, always care not to calibrate it next to cars, and machinery even if it succeeded i never could have trusted it.

14- as for the transmitter always used it until the first battery light then fully charged, it lasts arround 7 to 10 flights usually.

So far that's my recap on some of the things I used to last that long with no issues hope it helps u guys out there, feel free to comment or advice, in the end its one big growing hobby that needs everyone's help and experience. Cheers

One thing I was wondering that I have never seen brought up with regards to the carbon fiber props: if you crash, clip or tree or whatever, sense the blades are stronger wouldn't it transfer that energy/torque into the motors and drone? I mean I would rather replace the cheap plastic props then have to repair the unit itself because of the additional stress. Thoughts on that?

Does balancing really help all that much? I hear people talk about how great it is but never really hear any cold hard facts.

I am new to drone videography this year. So I am a newbie. lol

Thanks,
Douglas

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl