After 100 flights, 127km, 13hours, P3P conclusion

Same question from me
this is the exact place i did show in this picture if anything else needed please let me know thx
space.jpg

Attachments

• space.jpg
    space.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 284
Is there a thread for the battary break in pls ?
i think Nicolas C already made it clear enough ill just add that i learned this method looking up in this forum but cant remember exactly where, the process consist of 10 Flights ( 5 to 6 cycles full recharge ) 50% landing or 3.66~3.8 volt per cell after that keeping it in storage mode at 30 to 50%, recharging only before flights, and setting up the discharge time to 2days maximum, after long flights leave the battery rest for a 15min to 20min time and on the 20Th cycle, deep discharge it to 8% ( not flying it ) you can take it down to 25% then land it and keep it on until 8% is reached, dont put the cell under stress in flight to reach 8% this way you will damage your battery i guarantee it, hope it helped

Reactions: fly_it and Mr.Spock
I'm at 50 flights with a total of 8:24 hours and 324,624FT on mine. Incredible quad. I check the compass to make sure it's >1400 and only do the IMU calibration after a firmware upgrade. I never did the battery break-in. Guess I never did see that needed to be done. But the batteries have worked flawlessly and still get about 16~17 minutes of flight to around 20~25% battery just depending on what I'm doing and wind or other factors.

I'd say get a good case as a very important item. On my way to Sydney now and love that I'm not constantly worried about the contents of my case. Anyone have any ideas of some good video or picture points in Sydney? Love to hear it.

Oh, and the windsurfer is the bomb!! It doubled my range. No kidding. I always lose signal between 2200' and 3100' for video. With the windsurfer I hit 7900'... Same area so I know what my range was there.

Happy flying!

Reactions: elie kattar
I don't understand the 50% rule. I fly first 8-10 times until 50 % then recharge ? And then i use the bats till 30 % i never go below 25% by the way. And i always charge them only on the day or a day before flying. Also the RC i change fully before i fly even if its 80 or 70 % charged.
i advise you to discharge more often the battery of your RC because its actually a lipo and doesn't like to stay fully charged all the time, its true its a different rating type C battery but i still advice you to use it for 10 flights then recharged it, this way you can improve its life spam...
the thing about the break in is that the cell interior resistant gets calibrated this way, its like you are adapting them to function well in balance over time, its not for the actual start only this method is so called used to increase the life cycles of the battery, and making it ready to provide juice for any condition without loosing balance, okey :)

Reactions: Mr.Spock
i think Nicolas C already made it clear enough ill just add that i learned this method looking up in this forum but cant remember exactly where, the process consist of 10 Flights ( 5 to 6 cycles full recharge ) 50% landing or 3.66~3.8 volt per cell after that keeping it in storage mode at 30 to 50%, recharging only before flights, and setting up the discharge time to 2days maximum, after long flights leave the battery rest for a 15min to 20min time and on the 20Th cycle, deep discharge it to 8% ( not flying it ) you can take it down to 25% then land it and keep it on until 8% is reached, dont put the cell under stress in flight to reach 8% this way you will damage your battery i guarantee it, hope it helped
Thank u this is excellent info

on #9.. Have you compared the data on healthydrones? I found CF Props preformed much better then the plastic props.

on #9.. Have you compared the data on healthydrones? I found CF Props preformed much better then the plastic props.
Yes i did i had more fly time and more H.S fighting the wind back on same day, used my plastic ones changed battery installed FC and then flew it again i had 1min advantage over the plastic, HS at 9m/s compared to max 8m/s on plastic facing the wind...

Yes i did i had more fly time and more H.S fighting the wind back on same day, used my plastic ones changed battery installed FC and then flew it again i had 1min advantage over the plastic, HS at 9m/s compared to max 8m/s on plastic facing the wind...
So u recommend the CF props yes?

I'm at 50 flights with a total of 8:24 hours and 324,624FT on mine. Incredible quad. I check the compass to make sure it's >1400 and only do the IMU calibration after a firmware upgrade. I never did the battery break-in. Guess I never did see that needed to be done. But the batteries have worked flawlessly and still get about 16~17 minutes of flight to around 20~25% battery just depending on what I'm doing and wind or other factors.

I'd say get a good case as a very important item. On my way to Sydney now and love that I'm not constantly worried about the contents of my case. Anyone have any ideas of some good video or picture points in Sydney? Love to hear it.

Oh, and the windsurfer is the bomb!! It doubled my range. No kidding. I always lose signal between 2200' and 3100' for video. With the windsurfer I hit 7900'... Same area so I know what my range was there.

Happy flying!

Sydney is a stunning city - Iike most big cities it's going to be difficult to fly a quad around but I reckon if you go to the botanical gardens you'll be able to take her up & get some stunning shots of the harbour bridge, opera house etc.
The botanical gardens are quite large & you could get a secluded spot with not too many people around depending on the time of day. That's where I would go when I'm next in Sydney.

Or try birchwood park in Balmain - McMahon's point for opposite views of the harbour bridge & skyline

Last edited:

Every bird is different! According to heathlydrones mine was basically the opposite.
So u recommend the CF props yes?

I know this question was not directed towards me but, I would do a short test for yourself. Every bird is different. Test the CF on a battery and the plastic on a battery in the same day. Maybe even a few consecutive days in a row to get more accurate results.Then compare them on healthydrones.com.

Great feedback @elie kattar.

I'd second all of your points. I'm at ~70 flights, ~15 hrs, ~100 miles on my P3P. No crashes, no close calls, no mid-air issues.
I did have "stress cracks" after about 50 flights, but I replaced the shell myself.

My most important/agreed with takeaway points:

- Balance Props
- Use CRP props
- Treat your batteries well, especially if you expect them to perform to spec on longer distance flights
- Carbon-fiber reinforcement piece between legs
- Turn off VPS sensor when not needed

I'd also add "hand catch only", though that really depends on your level of comfort in catching a flying blender.

And I'd add to use some sort of "tracker" system.
I use Flytrex, but not sure I'd recommend them to others unless you do a lot of long distance Ground Station/Waypoint flying.

@ Elie Katter, great post and always good to hear the positive. As you I cannot complain I'm at 175 miles, 987,603 Feet. 21 hours of flight time. I zip tired my arms from the beginning and so far so good. And as you have done pretty much what you have with good results, pre flight checks are very important and should never be over looked. I still have the original props on my P3P but do balance them as you stated. I did have David's Windsurfer which was great but I have a lot of trees so ended up doing the DBS Mod. Best of luck and safe flying!

I don't understand the 50% rule. I fly first 8-10 times until 50 % then recharge ? And then i use the bats till 30 % i never go below 25% by the way. And i always charge them only on the day or a day before flying. Also the RC i change fully before i fly even if its 80 or 70 % charged.

For the first 10 flights on each battery, try to land at about 50%. After that, you fly normally and try to land at 25 to 30%. After about 20 or so flights-- fly the battery down to 20 percent. When you get back to your charge location and after that battery is cooled. -- put your P3 on the table or bench with the props off and put in the 20 percent battery, connect and start the motors and run the battery go down to 8%. This 8% low amperage rundown is to recalibrate the Smart Battery.
Then pull it out and recharge it. That battery should then be good to go. At least to the fifty flight mark.. Sometime after the next 30 flights or so-- you may need to do another low amperage rundown.

Sounds confusing, but really pretty easy when you get on to it. Spend the time caring for those expensive batteries and they should serve you many flights before you have to replace them.:)

@ bobmyers also if you check your Go app and go into battery levels and settings, there's a tab that records each battery record by interval, such as recorded 1, record 2 and so on, which should say Normal is will also tell you to Discharge the battery when it's due but you have to manually go into it before or after flight.

Reactions: bobmyers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4