adding Naza LED to vision +

Reaction score
Is it possible? I hate the LEDs under the arms of my vision + when in sunlight. Very hard to see. I want a more visible indication of status and recorded home position while on the ground.

I have heard the p2 Naza does not output led signals through the LED port. I'll have to open it up and test it out this weekend if no one else can confirm or deny.

No idea, sold my fc40.
It would be nice to see some circuit diagrams of how the modules are all connected.

I am going to buy the Naza LED as well. I am pretty sure the vision+ has a Naza V2. In the assistant software you can go from phantom mode to Naza mode and the settings are identical to the Naza V2 I just setup a F550 with.

I also have a WKM LED that is powered by canbus. I know the Phantom 2 has an extra canbus port where the ground station receiver was plugged into. I might use that canbus to see if the WKM led works with the Naza V2.

Good point with the app, but I always got used to the flashing green lights so trusting the app is hard to do.

The Naza led is $10, easily worth testing. The p2 Naza is different enough from the Naza-M that I would not think the led port works (they have to wholesale rewrite the section that lights through the ESCs, necessarily through CanBUS). But do report back with what you find.

I haven't opened up my p2s but this is how I solved the problem on my phantom 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FffOzyMJTNs

I recently installed my Taranis X8R into my P2 with H3-3d. So I know it is nothing more than a Naza V2. I am curious what is inside the Vision+.

Again if the Naza LED does not work, I am going to try the WKM.

An rx doesn't tell you anything about the FC, just that it accepts dbus. The Phantom Naza has proven differences from a vanilla Naza, including custom CAN interface for the smart battery and LED. It works mostly like a Naza-m and is derivative of it, but the very feature we're talking about is handled very differently between the two systems. The p1 sends TTL high/low through the USB signal pins. The p2 sends digital data through canBus to the ESC LEDs. The regular Naza-M cannot light up those ESC LEDs.

I've been very interested in knowing if the WKM/A2 LED/BTU might work. I have a feeling it doesn't because the Naza uses an entirely different data scheme for those signals and has far fewer blink codes, but if you do try it please report back. It would be great if DJI partially recycled the CAN messages and IDs for the P2.

Mori55 said:
How about the v2 led ?
that's the question. I've heard the Naza led v2 module does not work with the p2's Phantom Naza but haven't yet tried it
myself. I do have several on hand so I'll try it out when I have a chance.

quality control said:
Good point with the app, but I always got used to the flashing green lights so trusting the app is hard to do.

+1 :mrgreen:

If I have time tonight to take apart my p2 zenmuse, I will try the wkm led

Thanks guys
I'm very curious :D

You can just plug it into your p2's leg canBus port, that should be an easy no-tools test.

ElGuano said:
You can just plug it into your p2's leg canBus port, that should be an easy no-tools test.

Ahhh you are correct sir. I will try that.

ElGuano said:

Well it has proven not to be so easy. I took the can bus connector off the leg of my phantom when I went to tall landing gear and went FPV. Now I cannot find the little can bus connector, mount and cable. I will have to take the shell off after all.

More bad news. The WKM led does not work. It initializes and blinks in the WKM pattern, but once it switches to the status of the Naza, it go out and does not response.

I believe ElGuano is correct about the firmware differences. Also might be the fact that it is a can bus LED connection and not directly into the Naza V2. I plugged it into the only can bus port I had available which was the IOSD mini which might have caused part of the problem. I might buy the can bus port leg extension and try it that way.

The only option we have is the Naza V2 LED trial. If this does work, I will wire the LED into the same cable that the ESC LEDs goes into the Naza V2. That way we retain both the arm LEDs and a Naza V2 led outside the phantom.

quality control said:
More bad news. The WKM led does not work. It initializes and blinks in the WKM pattern, but once it switches to the status of the Naza, it go out and does not response.

I believe ElGuano is correct about the firmware differences. Also might be the fact that it is a can bus LED connection and not directly into the Naza V2. I plugged it into the only can bus port I had available which was the IOSD mini which might have caused part of the problem. I might buy the can bus port leg extension and try it that way.

The only option we have is the Naza V2 LED trial. If this does work, I will wire the LED into the same cable that the ESC LEDs goes into the Naza V2. That way we retain both the arm LEDs and a Naza V2 led outside the phantom.

Darn. Good job running the test though. There was almost zero chance it would work. The WKM has different blink codes running off a 3-element LED, it's got to be driven digitally. The Phantom Naza runs off a 2-element LED, and I don't see any CAN transceivers on the ESCs either so the codes are probably translated off the motherboard and high/low analog voltages sent to the ESCs, taking over the function of the Naza LED port.

It's good to know the WKM initialization pattern is hard-coded. Whenever I get around to getting a WKM/A2 to snoop, I'll know not to bother trying to read that :)

Update: I can confirm the Phantom 1 LED module works in the P2!

I opened up my P2 H3-3D tonight, unplugged the USB cable, and plugged in a Phantom 1 LED module. It flashes alongside the arm-mounted LEDs perfectly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOxcfzCeybA[/youtube]

So all you guys looking to add another status LED to the P2V+, all you need is a $10 Naza-M LED V2 module and you're good to go! Note that unless you splice in the USB port, that will move to the LED module as well.

For me, this is great because it means there's a standard and easy avenue to add addressable Neopixels to the P2-series as well, even more easily than on a P1 in fact!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl