Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Abiquiu, NM Flyover and Near-Miss

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by traeger23, Aug 5, 2014.

1. traeger23

Here's some flyover footage taken just north of Abiquiu, New Mexico.

I was head-down on the FPV monitor, really happy with the shots I was getting, and didn't notice that I had flown behind the cliff. Lost video signal, and control, and ran quickly down the parking lot where I was standing hoping to regain control before anything untoward happened. I wasn't quick enough to avoid the return-to-home mode kicking in, but I was definitely lucky enough that the line back to home was just clear of the cliff. I figure I must have missed it by five feet or less, and a crash would have left it about 250 feet or so on a ledge, and essentially unretrievable. A great shot I wouldn't have consciously attempted at this stage in my flying career.

Not to glorify my own inattentiveness, but take this as a good case study in maintaining LOS on your aircraft at all times. I wasn't aware exactly how lucky I was until I saw the footage, and was kind of in shock about it.

Anyway, enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/102577349

Other technical bits:
    - I have a GoPro Hero 3+ from the production run with the infinity focus issue, which I'm working to get resolved/replaced.
    - Still messing with settings on the Warp Stabilization VFX filter in AE, and between the swimminess that that generates in combination with a still-unresolved jello issue, it gets a little wiggly in spots.
    - Music is "Delerium" by Euphoria.

2. QYV

QYV

that near miss was badass :)

glad it worked out for you! Are you familiar with re-setting your RTH height to help avoid that situation? If not I (or someone else) can elaborate

3. traeger23

Thanks, but I am already familiar with where to set the limits. Just taking my time getting more comfortable as I go, and stripping away the newbie protections a little at a time. The Phantom was actually maxed out at 400 feet when I lost control, and like I said, I was happy with the shot I had lined up before I lost the signal. Ah well, definitely paying closer attention to that from now on. . .