4K videos

Most people are able to click on a link and actually read the information provided. That might not be for all it seems.

To summarize, i have said:

* Note the i-frames, are of course physically stored inside the same file.

I have referred to a very good explanation of h264 and h265, which also is a starting point for further research:

What Is HEVC (H.265)? - Streaming Media Magazine

I have referred to the picture types used in all encoding formats, of which exclusively iframes are found in prores:

Video compression picture types - Wikipedia

This is documented here:

Final Cut Pro 7 Professional Formats and Workflows

I do try to be helpful, but I must say the effort is really not met with much appreciation.
My main question, which you never answered, was how first transcoding to ProRes and then importing was different than importing H.264 or H.265 into PP CC on Windows. Your answer was that "All frames are stored independently, which makes the format great for editing." I still don't understand what distinction you are making with that statement. Can you please clarify what you mean by "all frames are stored independently"? Are you suggesting that H.264 and H.265 somehow store frames dependently?

Reactions: gr8pics
My main question, which you never answered, was how first transcoding to ProRes and then importing was different than importing H.264 or H.265 into PP CC on Windows. Your answer was that "All frames are stored independently, which makes the format great for editing." I still don't understand what distinction you are making with that statement. Can you please clarify what you mean by "all frames are stored independently"? Are you suggesting that H.264 and H.265 somehow store frames dependently?
Yes. Please click the links above and spend 10 minutes reading

Yes. Please click the links above and spend 10 minutes reading
I did, and you spent far more time providing links that still don't answer my question than it would take to clarify your obscure statement which created the confusion in the first place. Are you perhaps a politician? ;)

But I have a eternal question. I can't import H265 footage to PP, so I did conversion to ProRes, but is a lossy format. Maybe nobody can see the differences between the original footage vs ProRes, but my OCD is heavy...

Which LOSSLESS video format (or without compression) we can use to transcode H265 and edit without loss of quality of the original footage?? CinemaDNG? Cineform without compression maybe?

I will like another "intermediary" format, one that don't change anything from the original frames recorded in H265...

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

But I have a eternal question. I can't import H265 footage to PP, so I did conversion to ProRes, but is a lossy format. Maybe nobody can see the differences between the original footage vs ProRes, but my OCD is heavy...

Which LOSSLESS video format (or without compression) we can use to transcode H265 and edit without loss of quality of the original footage?? CinemaDNG? Cineform without compression maybe?

I will like another "intermediary" format, one that don't change anything from the original frames recorded in H265...

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Latest PP should have native support for H265, is that the one you have? If you have a trial version, it wont initialize that plugin.
Cineform is a good format, but in this case, the closest you can get to lossless is probably Prores 4444 and Prores 4444 XQ, which is virtually lossless, if you have the space for it.
I always have a 4TB 3.5" disk i only use as cache for rendering, proxies and conversions, then delete workfiles when im done roundtripping and editing, but i always save and backup original files on two separate systems.
If you down convert from RAW or Prores 422 files to a lower Prores profile, then the quality loss wont be so visible, compared to whipping a H264/65 file back and forth, thats why you want to maintain the quality as best as you can, if you have the resources.
You will also gain a little quality when uploading to the web, if you save the file with highest possible data rate, even higher than YT/Vimeo recommends.
Video editing really is a complex topic, with so many different elements. techniques and standards, i think no one will ever be fully educated, but hands on experience beats all theories :)

I personally use the premiere pro cc auto proxy feature. All my h265 are automatically transcoded to proxy files into an editing format of my choice, linked to original, and replace the originals in the project.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Latest PP should have native support for H265, is that the one you have? If you have a trial version, it wont initialize that plugin.
Cineform is a good format, but in this case, the closest you can get to lossless is probably Prores 4444 and Prores 4444 XQ, which is virtually lossless, if you have the space for it.
I always have a 4TB 3.5" disk i only use as cache for rendering, proxies and conversions, then delete workfiles when im done roundtripping and editing, but i always save and backup original files on two separate systems.
If you down convert from RAW or Prores 422 files to a lower Prores profile, then the quality loss wont be so visible, compared to whipping a H264/65 file back and forth, thats why you want to maintain the quality as best as you can, if you have the resources.
You will also gain a little quality when uploading to the web, if you save the file with highest possible data rate, even higher than YT/Vimeo recommends.
Video editing really is a complex topic, with so many different elements. techniques and standards, i think no one will ever be fully educated, but hands on experience beats all theories :)
Thanks for the help Christer! Workflow is what I want to nail down early on with all this video footage! I just got on brand new subscription to PP and CC about 2 months ago. Working on 4tb externals and backing up to Cloud Network drives too. But I'm so **** I just want be organized on where I should keep everthing for every single flight and location. I'm working on a super fast new gaming machine from Best Buy btw. It has the I-7-6700 @ 3.4gz. With 32gb of ram. 64 bit. It has 1 tb drive along with an SSD C drive as well. So just trying to figure out how best to import edit store and then backup ect? Daunting task! LOL

You guys are awesome for the help! Ok cool. I may just switched over to mp4 last week anyway but I'll check to make sure because I do want to try some stuff shot in the h265 container asap.

OK, let me try again..................I have a pro plus by the way.

-sd card in drone
-no sd card in remote

I can watch what the video stream on the remote as the remote seems to store it on the remote. (IM NOT INTERESTED IN THIS)

the sd card in the drone captures what the drones camera sees, so therefore it is nice and crisp, perfect video (not the stream). So, I take the sd card and put it in the controller, then go to 'album' then I click on 'sd card' and I can watch the 4k video via the remote controller. Its beautiful. So therefore the 4k video is on the sd card.

NOW............I put the sd card into my laptop and I can see files there, but they are not the 4k files. What I want to know is WHERE IN GODS NAME ARE THE 4K FILES??????????????

I'm pulling my hair out in regards to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In regards to playing them on my laptop...I will cross this bridge after I work out where the 4k files are.

P.S. I know the files I can see on the sd card are not the 4k files and instead are the stream files because when I uploaded them to youtube and watched them back, it was video of the stream.
Make sure your computer can handle 4K videos. My newest laptop does show perfectly 4K videos from the SD card I pull from P4

Did you format the SD card while in the drone first or did you format it in another device before you started using it? What make and exact speed of the card are you using?

I discovered that there are two sets of video files recorded on the microSD card in the P4P aircraft, the full 4K version in the DCIM folder, and what looks like a much smaller 720p version in the THM folder, both of the same name. My 4K LG television only recognizes and plays the lower quality in the THM folder from a USB stick containing the microSD card, and says the ones in the DCIM folder are of an incompatible format. I record in 4K at 60fps. However, the YouTube app on the LG 4kKTV will easily play my 4K 60fps uploaded edited videos in superb quality! It was my main reason for purchase of the LG 4K TV! :cool:

Hi Gman79 (and perhaps some others)

Perhaps you have already found the answer... if not:

I have the p4pro+, and no problems with the video, so yes it can be done!
As you mentioned: remove card from drone, place it in controller, select card… will show you the recorded footage. (I use it to play on a large TV so I can show others the original before editing).
If I place the card in my pc I will find files on two locations:
e:\DCIM\100MEDIA\(DJI_000x.MP4) these are the 4k files and are up to 4 gb (approx. 8 minutes) (this also the same folder where you can find the pictures you take during flight)
e:\MISC\THM\100\(DJI_000x.MP4) smaller files... 600mb (no pictures found in this folder)

Some laptops can and some can’t play the 4k files smoothly, guess it’s hardware (slow laptop/slow card reader) and software related :)
My laptop will have issues playing the 4k files, swap to a friends, and then there is no problem. (these are work laptops, so only standard software installed)
I prefer a PC for editing and down scaling to 1080. (In my point of few 4k = 4 pages: 2x2 x 1080 so I can cut out and focus the 1 page 1080 i need. I can "zoom in" from 4k till 1080 until the page is filled with the part i want to focus on, without image loss (ill phrased, I hope you understand what i mean) and still have a good 1080 movie after editing.

The files from the DCIM folder are copied to my pc (where I can see/watch them properly on windows 10), I can then edit the files, make a nice movie, place it on youtube… and wonder what happened as it seems to be a less quality. (colors are okay though)

I also tried suggestions from this guy, found on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my2cFiPKvao , there might be some helpful info, as he has made quite a few movies)

Maybe someone can give an in depth review on the equipment needed, (processors, software, video card, monitor,etc.), on how to view and edit footage without issues so they can enjoy the footage they capture. It seems like if a company is selling a product that produces 4K or any other format they should take the time to let their customers know what they will need to view their video with drop outs, freezes, etc. Seems like a lot of companies are only selling their specs and expect the consumer to figure out the rest.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl