4K videos

Reaction score
Ok, this is probably a really simple thing to do, but for the life of me I cannot work it out. I will try to explain now...

...when you are flying and recording video, it seems that the SD card in the drone is recording video at how you set the settings (in my case 4K), and that the controller is also recording (how i dont know) the video which is displayed on the controller (this footage can be distorted and freeze etc depending on what happens during flight).

Now here is my problem...

...when I take the SD card from the drone and put it in my laptop, it doesnt play on anything!!! So i am only able to watch it via the contoller. I have also discovered that when I uploaded the files to YouTube via my laptop, it was the video which was a recording of the controllers screen.

WTF is going on and how can I get that 4K video, watch it and upload it to YouTube?????????

HEEEEEEEEELP MEEEEEEEEEE PLEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!

You need to convert your 4k footage into ProRes format to make it easy for editing. Check out handbrake, it's free. I tend to use ffmpeg, but it's a little more difficult to use.

Convert your 4k footage to prores, and all of your problems will go away -- as well as your hard drive capacity :) Expect 4 gig files to become 80-100gig files.

Reactions: setandforget
You need to convert your 4k footage into ProRes format to make it easy for editing. Check out handbrake, it's free. I tend to use ffmpeg, but it's a little more difficult to use.

Convert your 4k footage to prores, and all of your problems will go away -- as well as your hard drive capacity :) Expect 4 gig files to become 80-100gig files.

This hasnt really answered my problem.....

GMAN, you dont have proper codecs to run your 4k, especially if you choosen h.265 encoding. Try latest VLC player to run it (its freeware). Remember, you need a decent PC to play 4K vids.
Also, h.265 exp for me is pure crap, had to convert into h.264 anyways
Your controller captures 720p video stream, you can find it inside DJI folder on your device
For android you can check DEVICE/DJI/dji.go.v4/DJI_RECORD folder

If you has the video from the SD and uploaded it to YT there is no way YT could display the display devices video. YT cannot display something that was never sent to it. So you _are_ uploading the display devices video to YT if that is what it's displaying.

In order to answer your question you need to explain your process of uploading the video to you and what you are doing with it once it's moved off the SD card. Are you editing it prior to uploading? Are you moving it into your computer from the SD card prior to uploading, etc.

As Pachhakuti mentioned, if you cannot view the video on your computer you don't have the correct codec. At least on a Windows PC. I'm not sure if it's called that on An Apple.

You mention that you can only watch the SD card video on the display device. I'm gurssing that you then might be uploading the video from the device as well. As such, you are probably uploading the wrong files to YT as both the cache video and SD card video would be accessible from that device.

OK, let me try again..................I have a pro plus by the way.

-sd card in drone
-no sd card in remote

I can watch what the video stream on the remote as the remote seems to store it on the remote. (IM NOT INTERESTED IN THIS)

the sd card in the drone captures what the drones camera sees, so therefore it is nice and crisp, perfect video (not the stream). So, I take the sd card and put it in the controller, then go to 'album' then I click on 'sd card' and I can watch the 4k video via the remote controller. Its beautiful. So therefore the 4k video is on the sd card.

NOW............I put the sd card into my laptop and I can see files there, but they are not the 4k files. What I want to know is WHERE IN GODS NAME ARE THE 4K FILES??????????????

I'm pulling my hair out in regards to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In regards to playing them on my laptop...I will cross this bridge after I work out where the 4k files are.

P.S. I know the files I can see on the sd card are not the 4k files and instead are the stream files because when I uploaded them to youtube and watched them back, it was video of the stream.

No need to rage mate, its probably recording with MOV format, I can't forseer things. Can you make a screenshot on your pc with sd card contents?
VLC H.265 for 265 coded vids
QUICKTIME Player for MOV files
;)

I'm not raging at anyone here, I'm just frustrated.

I'm recording in MP4 format.

GMAN79,
Try this link - Downloads – Software » libde265 HEVC — H.265 High Efficiency Video Coding
Also, for decoding and web upload preparations, I'd recommend another freeware - Handbrake - HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder
There's a freeware player for h.265 coded videos, eats mine 4K MP4,
however perfomance of 265 is awful for me (Windows) - I record 264
Also, admit that 264 will let you to capture 60 FPS vs 30 FPS with 265
265 vs 264 quality is reason for holiwars ;)
Would be easier if you provide error code or screenshot or anything what causes troubles there

Last edited:
Don't have the P4P Plus but I'll try here. First, why are you taking the SD card out of the bird and putting it into the controller? Is this just so you can see the footage clearer than the file that is captured directly on your controller?
I just take the card straight out of bird and put it in my card reader to computer. Then open that up and all your files should be right there. A smoking machine will play these files on your computer for the most part. It may be a little jumpy here and there depending on your video card. Then you have to edit this footage in some kind of video editor. I use super cheap Filmora software by Wondershare for several months til I couldn't stand it anymore. I am now on my way learning Adobe Premier Pro. Steep learning curve but let me tell ya way worth it! Your video will have to be rendered out in some software to have something to post on Youtube! Youtube tutorial are your lifesaver on this stuff btw.

Use Windows Media Player. It plays H265 directly. It can even play wide color gamut (Main10 encoded) footage. I use it on a powerful 64bit Windows 10 machine. I do have a 4K display however.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Check your settings for video and make sure it is set to 4K and MP4. For me I can't play any of the videos unless I use VLC or premiere elements. Media player is terrible. And my machine and video card are beasts, so I know it isn't that.

Use Windows Media Player. It plays H265 directly. It can even play wide color gamut (Main10 encoded) footage. I use it on a powerful 64bit Windows 10 machine. I do have a 4K display however.

My rig refused to swallow h265 until I updated codecs.. We talked a bit in another thread regarding MPC suffering of freezes while working with h265.. Anyways you can try both vlc and mpc, if it wont roll, get handbrake and rip it to anything you can play smooth :)

My rig refused to swallow h265 until I updated codecs.. We talked a bit in another thread regarding MPC suffering of freezes while working with h265.. Anyways you can try both vlc and mpc, if it wont roll, get handbrake and rip it to anything you can play smooth :)

Funny, I have been using VLC but it is too slow to play it smoothly. It could be that with all the trying and installing viewers and encoders I managed to allow one of them to play well in WMP. Since I do a lot of 10-bit work using Adobe Media Encoder Main10 profile, WMP is the most convenient player capable of playing that media.

@KevMo Photog - Im taking the SD card out of the bird and putting it in the controller to play the 4k videos.

Why do you say i need to edit the footage in a video editor? Can you not just upload it straight to YouTube? Why does it need to be rendered???

Im recording in 264.

@Roamer105 - Nothing on my windows 7 laptop plays the files. Either they jerk around or are all funky colours. Basically they are not viewable. Tried WMP, Divx, QuickTime and tried VLC player today, even tried following some tutorials about changing settings in VLC to play 4k and its still the same.

GMAN79, If its so, I suppose your windows conflicting among players and codecs. I'd recommend to reinstall it?
Unless its inner windows conflicts, I don't see any other reasons beign unable to play h264 mp4.

@KevMo Photog - Im taking the SD card out of the bird and putting it in the controller to play the 4k videos.

Why do you say i need to edit the footage in a video editor? Can you not just upload it straight to YouTube? Why does it need to be rendered???

Im recording in 264.

@Roamer105 - Nothing on my windows 7 laptop plays the files. Either they jerk around or are all funky colours. Basically they are not viewable. Tried WMP, Divx, QuickTime and tried VLC player today, even tried following some tutorials about changing settings in VLC to play 4k and its still the same.
Ok here's the deal. This footage straight out of your bird is raw and not COMPRESSED. It's raw 4K. So it would take forever to load this stuff in that form. And it would never play smooth because it is so processor demanding. Here's a link to all settings that work best for Youtube here. Recommended upload encoding settings - YouTube Help But rendering in a video editor is going to compress and smooth your file and make it a feasible size to upload to Youtube. It's hard enough for a smoking good computer processor and video card to play these files smoothly while they are still RAW 4K. So can you imagine what's it's like trying to stream this kind of footage from the net through Youtube??

@KevMo Photog - is that why it takes all day to upload the file to youtube???

I think this is all too much for me lol

I didn't think I would need to start 'rendering' in a video editor. I thought I could just upload it and job done.

@Pachakuti - My computer does play 264 mp4 videos. Its just not playing the footage from my bird.

I have a basic knowledge and experience of converting videos for a website I share on, you can check it out by google searching GMAN79 VEEHD. This is why I cannot work out why I cant play them :(

Well, thats really weird then. I tried SD with 3 different PCs and all 3 played video.. however with terrible freezes :D

Dont know uh..

Well, thats really weird then. I tried SD with 3 different PCs and all 3 played video.. however with terrible freezes :D

Dont know uh..
Its def gonna freeze some depending on your processor and vid card. I just bought Best Buys gaming rig and it plays my RAW footage pretty decent. But it still will skip here and there. Editing it and rendering in a software is key if you can start going that direction. Keep in mind, everything you see on the internet no matter resolution they posted it in is only as good as the monitor in front of anyones face. A lot of monitors are now 2k, but few are 4K unless your serious. LOL. Or using a big tv as a monitor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan