4K videos

Thank you sir for the help! I just got started in Premier Pro 2 months ago because of needing to edit Phantom footage. So I'm crashing on it for sure to learn fast. So where do I get this Prores converter btw?
Its allot to learn, for sure, just like Photoshop, you never get fully educated.
I found this converter to be very fast and effective Home

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Its allot to learn, for sure, just like Photoshop, you never get fully educated.
I found this converter to be very fast and effective Home
I just looked at it. But isn't that MAC only? Im a Windows 10 guy. Hear ya on learning new software. Been driving photoshop for a long time as I've been a portrait photog for 30 yrs now. LOL I'm old. But learning Premier is quite a challenge to take on for sure.

I just looked at it. But isn't that MAC only? Im a Windows 10 guy. Hear ya on learning new software. Been driving photoshop for a long time as I've been a portrait photog for 30 yrs now. LOL I'm old. But learning Premier is quite a challenge to take on for sure.

Ah sorry, i moved away from PC a decade ago, not going back :D
Like PS you can work with layers and nodes, at least some things are recognizable...

Ah sorry, i moved away from PC a decade ago, not going back :D
Like PS you can work with layers and nodes, at least some things are recognizable...
Holy **** man! So your Christer Dahl? Super nice stuff dude! I have seen a couple on your Norway vids on Vimeo the other day. And I know I wish I had started with Apple a long time ago on our computers. Too late for me now. LOL Any other way to convert to Prores with Windows or any other thoughts?

It says it outputs to H.265 for smaller file sizes, but doesn't list H.265 as a supported input format, so it might support H.265, if they just forgot to update the supported input file types. :cool:

Lol, thanks mate!!!
Its never too late for anything, as long as you have the will and power :)

I also have this app, but im not sure if its support H265 yet. Its also for Windows though Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate: Convert home-made videos & DVDs for Personal Use | OFFICIAL
Ok super. I used Filmora by Wondershare for several months before moving over to PP. It was quick to get going on but is a piece of crap at the end of the day. LOL. But I'll try this converter for sure. So after converting all your files to this format, do you just delete all of the original files then? Of course, making a backup copy of everything too though. LOL.

Ok super. I used Filmora by Wondershare for several months before moving over to PP. It was quick to get going on but is a piece of crap at the end of the day. LOL. But I'll try this converter for sure. So after converting all your files to this format, do you just delete all of the original files then? Of course, making a backup copy of everything too though. LOL.
Please let us know if it also accepts the H.265 input files! :cool:

I never delete anything, unless its completely useless.
I bet you also more than once have dug up old material, either stills or video, and looked at with new eyes, the ones you once thought was "boring" suddenly becomes "great"
Right or wrong? :)

Reactions: Eddyfisher
I never delete anything, unless its completely useless.
I bet you also more than once have dug up old material, either stills or video, and looked at with new eyes, the ones you once thought was "boring" suddenly becomes "great"
Right or wrong? :)
More often than not, I see how much better I have become, and the improvement in equipment makes the older stuff pale by comparison. However, our post processing skills and what is technically possible in post has also improved, so decisive moments of old, poorly captured, can now be salvaged, especially if the output file is only for web, and not a wall print! :cool:

More often than not, I see how much better I have become, and the improvement in equipment makes the older stuff pale by comparison. However, our post processing skills and what is technically possible in post has also improved, so decisive moments of old, poorly captured, can now be salvaged, especially if the output file is only for web, and not a wall print! :cool:
I mean't getting rid of the original h265 footage that you converted to Prores? Def want to keep 2 copies of original footage. But is it ok to delete original footage before recoding? So I mean like keeping 2 copies of the Prores converted files?

I mean't getting rid of the original h265 footage that you converted to Prores? Def want to keep 2 copies of original footage. But is it ok to delete original footage before recoding? So I mean like keeping 2 copies of the Prores converted files?

I think you want to keep the original original as the Prores version will necessarily be of slightly lower quality -- you don't add a second round of lossy compression and get better quality -- ever!

Brian

I think you want to keep the original original as the Prores version will necessarily be of slightly lower quality -- you don't add a second round of lossy compression and get better quality -- ever!

Brian
Thanks Brian. Ok I got it now. Are you a Windows guy? What Prores Converter do you use if you are?

Thanks Brian. Ok I got it now. Are you a Windows guy? What Prores Converter do you use if you are?

Yes, Win10, but at this point I don't use Prores or any other converter -- I edit the files from the camera. My PC is fast enough that I can handle even H.265 at full resolution without too much stuttering during playback within PP so long as I'm not using crazy effects that require rendering. Interestingly, Win10's Media Player chokes on H.265 and plays it about 40% speed but PP will playback the H.265 video with only a bit of stuttering.

So, since my PC is fast enough I see no need to use Prores or any other converter -- at least for now...

Brian

Yes, Win10, but at this point I don't use Prores or any other converter -- I edit the files from the camera. My PC is fast enough that I can handle even H.265 at full resolution without too much stuttering during playback within PP so long as I'm not using crazy effects that require rendering. Interestingly, Win10's Media Player chokes on H.265 and plays it about 40% speed but PP will playback the H.265 video with only a bit of stuttering.

So, since my PC is fast enough I see no need to use Prores or any other converter -- at least for now...

Brian
**** Im glad you explained this this way Brian. My machine is a brand new machine and mine is playing back just like yours. I have edited a couple of video's in PP and been pretty happy with output. As I think I have all my output settings pretty good for that. I just thought I needed to do this converting if I was shooting in h265 to get even better quality video. I'm so dumb on this stuff still man. So all this converting to ProRes is just to help your machine run better with the 4K footage? I thought there was image quality involved here?

**** Im glad you explained this this way Brian. My machine is a brand new machine and mine is playing back just like yours. I have edited a couple of video's in PP and been pretty happy with output. As I think I have all my output settings pretty good for that. I just thought I needed to do this converting if I was shooting in h265 to get even better quality video. I'm so dumb on this stuff still man. So all this converting to ProRes is just to help your machine run better with the 4K footage? I thought there was image quality involved here?
I can only pass along what I have gleaned from others that know more about this than I. My understanding is the the conversion to ProRes is a lossless conversion (that's why the files increase substantially in size). Supposedly, that makes it easier to work with the files, and makes for better editing. However, since PP can handle the H.265 and H.264 files on import, I suspect that the ProRes conversion may not gain much, as the import by PP uncompresses the file for rendering, and PP uses that uncompressed file for rendering. Since I knew of no way to convert H.264 to ProRes on Windows, this became moot for me. Now, I apparently have a choice. What's the best Windows workflow with P4P drone files using PP CC?

Last edited:
I can only pass along what I have gleaned from others that know more about this than I. My understanding is the the conversion to ProRes is a lossless conversion (that's why the files increas substantially in size). Supposedly, that makes it easier to work with the files, and makes for better editing. However, since PP can handle the H.265 and H.264 files on import, I suspect that the ProRes conversion may not gain much, as the import by PP uncompresses the file for rendering, and PP uses that uncompressed file for rendering. Since I knew of no way to convert H.264 to ProRes on Windows, this became moot for me. Now, I apparently have a choice. What's the best Windows workflow with P4P drone files using PP CC?

Prores is not lossless!

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers