4K videos

Ive got decent rig, an i7, 16gb ddr3 and gtx680ti video, working with video on ssd. yet phantom raw footage plays about 3 fps for me.. after little encoding magic im getting smooth and stable fps..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Please remember that I`ve never uploaded to youtube, edited videos, or flown a drone before, the music is cheesy LOL

My first day time flight

I've only been recording at 1080p, so this might not apply here, but I was having choppy, stuttering playback with mp4 format on my older windows 8.1 system. I renamed the files to .mov extension, and they play great. Didn't do anything else, just renamed the files to .mov.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
I've only been recording at 1080p, so this might not apply here, but I was having choppy, stuttering playback with mp4 format on my older windows 8.1 system. I renamed the files to .mov extention, and they play great. Didn't do anything else, just renamed the files to .mov.
Same way on my older Windows machine Steve. I was choppy bad. Now Im playing them on my new gaming machine from Best Buy and no issue at all.

You need to convert your 4k footage into ProRes format to make it easy for editing. Check out handbrake, it's free. I tend to use ffmpeg, but it's a little more difficult to use.

Convert your 4k footage to prores, and all of your problems will go away -- as well as your hard drive capacity :) Expect 4 gig files to become 80-100gig files.

Tried handbrake to convert to prores. Didn't find any prores options.

Tried handbrake to convert to prores. Didn't find any prores options.

I think the "Native" options are for ProRes. I gave handbrake another shot, and it's really missing some important options. Smiller's app seems to work, and has all of the options you need. Although, I was only able to get it to run from inside the zip, not installed on my computer. A bit annoying.

You can also use RockyMountains Movie Converter , it is a GUI front end for ffmpeg and makes it easy to use.

GMan79 before you learn how to edit footage you should learn the rules of flying in the UK. You are not allowed to fly at night time without a PFCO license and you are not allowed to fly over built up and congested areas, especially roads like you have been doing. I'd take those youtube videos down if I were you as your end up with a knock on your door from the CAA and the police. You can find the rules here - http://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/NATS6011_dronecode_2pp.pdf

richardhurst
I agree with your comments. There could be trouble ahead for GMan79 unless he reads the UK rules.
However, I don't remember seeing any recommendations re night flying in relation to uavs below 7Kgs.
I'd appreciate your pointing out to me the relevant regulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Clixby
richardhurst
I agree with your comments. There could be trouble ahaead for GMan79 unless he reads the UK rules.
However, I don't remember seeing any recommendations re night flying in relation to uavs below 7Kgs.
I'd appreciate your pointing out to me the relevant regulation.
Reading doesn't necessarily lead to comprehension, nor compliance...:rolleyes:

I have a friend who is a camera man for the BBC. He films everything in 1090 hd at 30fps as he says films are good enough for tv broadcast so good enough for him. Try filming in lower quality and if you
Have success viewing the files then the issue is in the res, 4K files are big and not ideal for YouTube which dumbs them down anyway I believe

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Tony Clixby
You need to convert your 4k footage into ProRes format to make it easy for editing. Check out handbrake, it's free. I tend to use ffmpeg, but it's a little more difficult to use.

Convert your 4k footage to prores, and all of your problems will go away -- as well as your hard drive capacity :) Expect 4 gig files to become 80-100gig files.
Thanks a lot for your input. I read you are using handbrake to convert to prores format. I checked that software out and it's features does not mention prores format. Thanks a lot

Sent from my Nexus 6P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: setandforget
Ok here's the deal. This footage straight out of your bird is raw and not COMPRESSED. It's raw 4K. So it would take forever to load this stuff in that form. And it would never play smooth because it is so processor demanding. Here's a link to all settings that work best for Youtube here. Recommended upload encoding settings - YouTube Help But rendering in a video editor is going to compress and smooth your file and make it a feasible size to upload to Youtube. It's hard enough for a smoking good computer processor and video card to play these files smoothly while they are still RAW 4K. So can you imagine what's it's like trying to stream this kind of footage from the net through Youtube??

Raw video from a Phantom? I wish :sweatsmile:
My friend, this is compressed to H264/65, only high end video cams records raw internally.
On the other hand, the codec Dji uses is a pia to use, its even harder to run than a raw prores file with 4 times higher bitrates.
Do as suggested, convert to prores and then start to work with your files, it will be butter smooth, even if the files gets ten times larger.
The way i see it, its no other alternatives from these heavy 4k files coming off this camera.
I got a dedicated video rendering machine myself, even that struggles with these files coming straight off the card.

Raw video from a Phantom? I wish :sweatsmile:
My friend, this is compressed to H264/65, only high end video cams records raw internally.
On the other hand, the codec Dji uses is a pia to use, its even harder to run than a raw prores file with 4 times higher bitrates.
Do as suggested, convert to prores and then start to work with your files, it will be butter smooth, even if the files gets ten times larger.
The way i see it, its no other alternatives from these heavy 4k files coming off this camera.
I got a dedicated video rendering machine myself, even that struggles with these files coming straight off the card.
Thanks for clearing up the terminology for me man. Still learning video editing and understanding it all tbo. Appreciate the help. So do you convert your footage to prores after you have done your edit or before?

Thanks for clearing up the terminology for me man. Still learning video editing and understanding it all tbo. Appreciate the help. So do you convert your footage to prores after you have done your edit or before?

Happy to help.
My workflow always starts with converting the file to prores, then you can drag them into your editing software.
I found out, that since i have to convert the files anyway, i can shoot in H265, to gain the little extra quality you get from that, after you finished editing you can save them back to mp4 if you like.
Also override the YT/Vimeo presets (if you use them), and edit Quicktime data rate settings from restrict to automatic, and then choose compressor quality "best"
After extensive tests, and a tip from another pro filmmaker, i found out that you can save your files with higher bitrates than the maximum suggested bitrate for YT/Vimeo, as it seems to improve the uploaded file even further, to minimize the quality loss during the online conversion.
Psst, dont tell anyone ;)

Happy to help.
My workflow always starts with converting the file to prores, then you can drag them into your editing software.
I found out, that since i have to convert the files anyway, i can shoot in H265, to gain the little extra quality you get from that, after you finished editing you can save them back to mp4 if you like.
Also override the YT/Vimeo presets (if you use them), and edit Quicktime data rate settings from restrict to automatic, and then choose compressor quality "best"
After extensive tests, and a tip from another pro filmmaker, i found out that you can save your files with higher bitrates than the maximum suggested bitrate for YT/Vimeo, as it seems to improve the uploaded file even further, to minimize the quality loss during the online conversion.
Psst, dont tell anyone ;)
Thank you sir for the help! I just got started in Premier Pro 2 months ago because of needing to edit Phantom footage. So I'm crashing on it for sure to learn fast. So where do I get this Prores converter btw?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers