Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

14 minutes video limit

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Itay, Oct 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Itay

I have noticed that whenever i record my flights, I get 2 mp4 files. The first one is for the first 14 minutes (about 4GB), then there is another one with the rest of the flight. Is there a setting for this? I want it to be one big file.

2. suck it up

No, it will default at the 4gb because of the formatting of the SD card. They are still using fat32.

I don't think there is a way around that.

3. bmcgnh

I found that annoying also...

I use iSkysoft iPad Video Converter to compress my "raw" files from the drone. There's a checkbox option to [Save as a Single File]. Since I have to compress the files anyway (the raw files are real choppy on playback) I've found this an easy way to put them together as a single file...

4. RedHotPoker

A fix is shut it off and turn it on. Check the timer and reach for 12 or 13 minutes, max.
    Also, I think the included micro sd card could have been twice the capacity, particularly for the Phantom 3 Pro' 4K video ability.
    But yeah, that is, what it is. Use it to your advantage, & timer.

RedHotPoker

5. MADrone

I remember a post on here that said you can use exFat instead of Fat32 formatting on the memory card to get files larger than 4 gb.

6. nhoover

We tried exFat a while ago and it didn't really work. I don't have any problem dealing with multiple files - it's convenient in a way to have them packaged into 4GB chunks. Here's a little table I made based on my experiments (P3P):

upload_2015-10-12_18-25-10.png

Cale262 and Itay like this.
  7. FunN4lo

I was used to 4GB file limit from my Go Pro rigs. The Go Pro file stop/start is absolutely seamless. I can splice a video at that point and you will never know it. The P3, not so much. There is always a few frames missing making a jump in the video.

So I learned my lesson early on with the P3. My work flow with a Go Pro rig was to do all of the video and then do all of the pics. Now with the Phantom, I alternate video and pics. Since changing, I never run into the file limit any longer and I don't have to worry about the video jumping in the middle of a perfect shot

8. nhoover

That's interesting - a few dropped frames on the cutover. I never noticed that but don't doubt it. The only time I typically shoot that long is for maybe a distance flight where I am going to render at 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x whatever and don't care about some dropped frames. For normal use, even in 4k, the 4GB limit doesn't really seem so bad.