You know what really grinds my gears?

grind gears.jpg

Lindsay Lohan....

Let it go.

You can't help what people think, say, or do.

I have no place in my soul for such concerns.

Reactions: MarcOD
Let it go.

You can't help what people think, say, or do.

I have no place in my soul for such concerns.

I know... I unusually don't let it bother me, but this dude was extra douchy about it. Eventually he started talking about guns, so I just asked him if he went around shooting people.. I think he got my point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LMAO have to admit, I didn't see that coming when I got one, but yeah... happened about three times now, and not many people even know I have it (dead of winter here).

My default answer is always "YUP! That's EXACTLY why I got it!"

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Neon Euc
When someone finds out I fly a drone and the first question they ask is... "so you spy on your neighbors?"
I try not to let it show, but it's soooooo annoying!

Or just say, "Oh no, these things are way too loud. I hire ninjas for all my surveillance work"

When someone finds out I fly a drone and the first question they ask is... "so you spy on your neighbors?"
I try not to let it show, but it's soooooo annoying!

I use this as an opportunity to educate. I explain a little about the FOV on my P4, and why I *don't* do it. I also explain about the fact that I am a landscape photographer (amatuer), and that people don't interest me (I point to my YouTube channel), then I tell them that getting a P4 was a natural extension of my photographic curiousity. Then I show them a part of my landscape video from the P4 on the phone. Usually, that does it.

Reactions: anotherlab
I use this as an opportunity to educate. I explain a little about the FOV on my P4, and why I *don't* do it. I also explain about the fact that I am a landscape photographer (amatuer), and that people don't interest me (I point to my YouTube channel), then I tell them that getting a P4 was a natural extension of my photographic curiousity. Then I show them a part of my landscape video from the P4 on the phone. Usually, that does it.
With DSLRs I can take 300 pics hiking and not have a single person in them. My wife knows she has to ask me or take the camera from me to get people pics. I've doctored many a pic to get rid of people :)

I've not had a run in like this, I think I'll say something like these are too noisy for spying, I prefer a telescope for that ;)

Ha ha, ninjas. I usualy have my iPad with me and show them a picture or three. They stare in disbelief, so then I show them a 4k video of fall colors or snow capped mountains. Making art with a drone was unthinkable! It is the best thing you can do because those people will educate others. A friend of mine was pretty outspoken about drones--called them "white trash toys". Heh--he's getting his son a drone and himself a DJI Standard. Also a full-time web designer and an avid rc sailplane guy told me drones were "the dark side" of RC and photography. Not any more!! It's like when snowboards made their debut---skiers hated them, personally!
Humans are weird.

It's no different when they complained about those darn horseless carriages

Reactions: Don Holmes
It's no different when they complained about those darn horseless carriages
I really understand the answers here, but (speaking for myself) I find these smart aleck answers to be not helpful to the quadcopter cause, and maybe even hurting us. People who know me realize I don't think like an ordinary woman of my age: then they learn I spent time in the military where I was in signals intelligence, and then later a senior civilian in IT security, and am fairly technical and senior in outlook. This leads to paranoia, and frankly open stupidity from insecure people. I WILL NOT feed into people's (paranoid and insecure) fantasies of "you are spying on me". This * grinds MY gears*.

I want people to see me as a harmless old church going person who just likes photography (and this is really who I am). Because people talk and they would put "2 and 2 together to make 10" if they knew my background (it's the same thing as if you were in law enforcement). I am nobody, and represent nothing, and I am harmless to them, but the quality of footage speaks for itself (is what I want them to believe, and it's the truth).

As most of you are well aware, there REALLY ARE some loonies out there who use everything we give them against us (look at that whack job lady who took the guy's drone and said it hit her--and she was running for... city council?) -- why bother to feed these idiots?

I'm saving the wisecracks for this thread. If someone came up to me, I would offer to show them what was on the screen and even offer to give them a snapshot of their house. We are in the FUD phase of drone adoption.

I find these smart aleck answers to be not helpful to the quadcopter cause, and maybe even hurting us.

Please understand that while my answer on here may have been smart aleck, there is a significant difference between my answer here, my answer to my brother in law and my answer to a curious passerby in a park.

I too would use the opportunity to educate, maybe even impress, as I was impressed when I saw the video these machines are capable of which led me to join the sport to extend my photographic range.

The ones that are truly smart alecks don't often post, or post on a thread like this, or articulate their honest answers.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Neon Euc
I guess I'm just lucky, but I can't relate to complaints like this because everyone in my neighbourhood thinks it's cool that I have a drone, and whenever I fly it around my house, my neighbours come out to watch. They all tell me how "awesome" the drone is, and they want me to fly it over their houses so they can see the view of their house on my screen.

The ones that are truly smart alecks don't often post, or post on a thread like this, or articulate their honest answers.
I keep seeing my name spelt wrong but I know Aleck is just another Alexander variant ;)

Unrelated but Alec is a tough name as a kid for ribbing :D

Reactions: jwmcgrath
I rather enjoy reading the occasional "smart Alec" comment on here when the intention is only to lighten things up. I only have a problem with the same self-professed "pro's" on here making pretentious comments only meant to belittle other posters. Making an occasional smart *** remark in good fun is quite acceptable IMO.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

What I don't understand is that at a public event (like say a free outdoor concert at the park), 300 people have their cell phones out and are making (poor quality) videos of the concert. But then they see one quadcopter at the park and it's "OMG, that pervert is filming us!!!!!"

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl