yaw position

Reaction score
i have about 5 flights under my belt, so far so good!
one oddity i have noticed is that when i hold position
(gps mode) and yaw around, the bird seems to
travel in a circle as it does, maybe 6-8' wide.
it happened the other day and i blamed it on a pretty
stiff wind (wider radius then too), but tonight (first night flight) it did it
again, and winds were calm.
new vision+ v3
i have run all updates, and done a the calibration, although
i may have been too close to a metal awning and that has
me thinking i need to walk out in the middle of the yard and
recalibrate.
any thoughts on my wide yaw?

Try doing an advanced IMU calibration in the Phantom Assistant software.

tonight after my flight i did hook to assistant,
and did that imu calibration. i also changed the
max height limit as i hit it tonight during the flight..
:D
before i fly again i will redo the compass calibration also,
out in the middle of the yard.

If compass calibration is done near metal it will appear to be done correctly but it will have an error in stored values and will not match the GPS readings causing the Phantom to fly in a small circle (sometimes called "toilet bowl effect"). Recalibrate compass without keys in your pocket and away from any metal and it should hovel correctly.

that makes sense, will certainly do that before next flight
thanks!

Don't forget the compas attenne isn't in the centre of the bird but attached outside the centre (in one of the legs of the bird). Further the precision of the gps position is not sensitive enough to compensate for deviations in the range of inches.[emoji6]

i've done a new compass calibration, and i also have done the imu calibration, and i still get the
swirl while i yaw, but otherwise the phantom hovers perfectly.
my compass calibration was done standing still, and turning the
phantom around with my hands. i have seen other procedures
where one holds the phantom still in the hands, and rotates
around with the feet, swinging the phantom around the person,
could that be why i'm still swirling in yaw?

yes, it does very well , it's just a swirl while i yaw, although very slow
yaw it doesn't seem to be too bad.
here's a video after my sunset flight as i was coming down i did some yawing:
http://youtu.be/k1XoTFRryBU

yes, absolutely sure!
if i was to switch out of phantom mode and use atti mode,
and the swirl went away, would that rule out a compass issue?
or am i being too picky expecting the phantom to
yaw in place?
(my little nano QX sure does!)

Personally I don't think you have a problem with your bird. Mine doesn't yaw without moving too. It never has. I spoke to some guys elsewhere who've had these for years and they told me that yawing is the hardest thing for the Phantom to do. Drifting is to be expected when yawing. Remember, Phantoms are DJI's lower end models. If you REALLY don't want yaw and think it might be a GPS issue, try in ATTI mode if you haven't already. I think if the compass was the issue, ATTI mode wouldn't make a difference. That mode also needs the compass, no?

Mine does the circle when yawing.
Maybe only 4ft diameter circle but it has still moved.

My P2V+ V2 also yaws in a circle. Found this post when searching the same issue. It is not significant but noticeable.

I guess normal....

Rob

Diviating while yawing is not suprising in my view as the center of gravity of the bird is not exactly located at the geometric center of the bird. Looking at the precision-parameters of gps/compass, that will not be able to compensate for that for 100%.
Just a thought.

+1 My P2 is the latest version and it "toilet bowls" in a yaw as well. It drives me crazy! Not sure if you can get it to yaw in a perfect plane without drifting. I have heard of others getting it to operate perfectly...but there wasn't any conclusive evidence of them changing anything. I don't think it has to do with placement of other components or physical balance because it seems to do it less in ATTI mode. I has to be a compass/GPS issue. Would love to hear a solution if anyone has one! Thanks.

I knew I had seen this discussed somewhere, glad I had subscribed to the thread.

Looks like a matter of having it perfectly level when doing the IMU calibration. Worth a shot.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35131

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT