where to get Yaw motors for the P4 series

Droneted

Phantom 4 gimbal repair advice
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I think I should point out to everyone reading about yaw motor replacement and where to get them. I do buy on eBay and Aliexpress. I buy 10 or more at a time and I have to inspect each one. It is my opinion that most of these are DJI rejects. There are 2 things I watch for. One is the windings being loose. If you take the casing off and try to move the windings while holding the base and there is any movement you must glue it. I use superglue at the point where it moves. If you don't do this, when it starts up the jerk is enough to break the windings off where the solder point is and now it is trash.
The other problem is when you put the casing on from your old yaw motor it is sloppy. Up and down movement of the casing is no good. I add a tiny washer to take up the space.
The last issue I want to discuss is when you replace the old yaw motor and don't use the original casing. Sometimes everything works out and it points straight ahead. You were very lucky! The yaw casings have magnets in them that are somewhat random. That means the Hall sensors and the ESC that controls it will not allow it to point straight ahead. If you lost the old casing or it was damaged you have a problem. There is a solution but you need to get a hold of a bunch of old casings and check to see where the magnets are. I use a compass to do this and have a YouTube video to show you how to do it. From my experience there are about 5 different locations so you need about 5. The problem is unless you have a drone repair shop, there is no place to get them. I can help with is but you need to do the testing with a compass. I would be glad to walk anyone through this procedure.
this post is way too long and I need more coffee.

Last edited:
I had to get a second cup of coffee just to finish reading it!😂 Good stuff, Ted.

My father always said "Learn by doing" Everything I learned about drones came from here and talking to people. By people I mean "Jiminyfixit"
I talk to drone repair guys everyday. They may not know it but I am stealing their knowledge bit by bit. It's what I do...

I think I should point out to everyone reading about yaw motor replacement and where to get them. I do buy on eBay and Aliexpress. I buy 10 or more at a time and I have to inspect each one. It is my opinion that most of these are DJI rejects. There are 2 things I watch for. One is the windings being loose. If you take the casing off and try to move the windings while holding the base and there is any movement you must glue it. I use superglue at the point where it moves. If you don't do this, when it starts up the jerk is enough to break the windings off where the solder point is and now it is trash.
The other problem is when you put the casing on from your old yaw motor it is sloppy. Up and down movement of the casing is no good. I add a tiny washer to take up the space.
The last issue I want to discuss is when you replace the old yaw motor and don't use the original casing. Sometimes everything works out and it points straight ahead. You were very lucky! The yaw casings have magnets in them that are somewhat random. That means the Hall sensors and the ESC that controls it will not allow it to point straight ahead. If you lost the old casing or it was damaged you have a problem. There is a solution but you need to get a hold of a bunch of old casings and check to see where the magnets are. I use a compass to do this and have a YouTube video to show you how to do it. From my experience there are about 5 different locations so you need about 5. The problem is unless you have a drone repair shop, there is no place to get them. I can help with is but you need to do the testing with a compass. I would be glad to walk anyone through this procedure.
this post is way too long and I need more coffee.
I came to the same conclusions. I changed windings and magnets. Now they are neodymium. The wire from the windings should not be stretched. And I also put the washer on the shaft, there should not be any play. Neodymium magnets are easily ground with water on a diamond plate. On sale there is 5x5x1 (withstand 120 degrees Celsius) from supermagnet.de. If the poles are correctly positioned, no problems arise. All the problems are with the yaw engine (look on the Internet), because there is not enough momentum. This engine moves the maximum mass.
There is a preparation of magnets in the photo - I take off the corners with a dremel, a plastic template helps to paste it correctly. Hall sensors with these magnets give the maximum signal range.

Attachments

• DSCN1025.JPG
    DSCN1025.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • DSCN1028.JPG
    DSCN1028.JPG
    901.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN1030.JPG
    DSCN1030.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 70
My father always said "Learn by doing" Everything I learned about drones came from here and talking to people. By people I mean "Jiminyfixit"
I talk to drone repair guys everyday. They may not know it but I am stealing their knowledge bit by bit. It's what I do...
Stealing makes it sound SO negative lol. I’d call it borrowing or absorbing maybe… that makes it sound much better lol

Reactions: Droneted
I came to the same conclusions. I changed windings and magnets. Now they are neodymium. The wire from the windings should not be stretched. And I also put the washer on the shaft, there should not be any play. Neodymium magnets are easily ground with water on a diamond plate. On sale there is 5x5x1 (withstand 120 degrees Celsius) from supermagnet.de. If the poles are correctly positioned, no problems arise. All the problems are with the yaw engine (look on the Internet), because there is not enough momentum. This engine moves the maximum mass.
There is a preparation of magnets in the photo - I take off the corners with a dremel, a plastic template helps to paste it correctly. Hall sensors with these magnets give the maximum signal range.
This is way beyond my skill set. Looks like I need to go back to college and this time pay attention. Back in the 60's ( 1900's not 1800's ) we were more interested in girls and weed and not always in that order. We had a great time until we got that dreaded letter from LBJ ( or as I call him " that ba*tard" )

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl