Why so many range discrepancies?

The ability of the P4P to use the 5.8 GHz band is one of its most underrated features.
Not only underrated, but unused, because we have all been taught that 2.4Ghz always has better range than 5.8Ghz! Not! Ignorance can be bliss! :cool:

Not only underrated, but unused, because we have all been taught that 2.4Ghz always has better range than 5.8Ghz!
That may be true in the Gobi Desert :D, but the 2.4 GHz ISM band is so crowded in most areas that it is not very useful for extreme weak signal work (and a 400 mw signal at 4 miles with relatively poor antennas at each end is extreme weak signal work.) The additional path loss at 5.8 GHz is sometimes a small price to pay to avoid the high noise floor on 2.4. A good example of the difference between theory and reality.

That may be true in the Gobi Desert :D, but the 2.5 GHz ISM band is so crowded in most areas that it is not very useful for extreme weak signal work (and a 400 mw signal at 4 miles is extreme weak signal work.) A good example of the difference between theory and reality.
Exactly, but even there, the 5.8Ghz band in Auto won't disappoint and will still deliver the 4.3 miles. 2.4Ghz might go farther there, but with the increase in power on the 5.8Ghz band over the 2.4GHz band, it might still be a toss up!

Set your P4P to Auto and 5.8Ghz. Test again, and report back. You'll be pleasantly surprised. :cool:

I was wondering if you or some of the others posting in the distance thread were going to jump in. ;)
It was that very thread that has me fired up to grab the P4P, but then so many have been writing the opposite elsewhere...and thus the reason I started this thread.
I'm hoping with the advice from some of you guys that we see a huge difference with some of the flyers posting bad range...as what happened in the distance thread.

Exactly, but even there, the 5.8Ghz band in Auto won't disappoint and will still deliver the 4.3 miles. 2.4Ghz might go farther there, but with the increase in power on the 5.8Ghz band over the 2.4GHz band, it might still be a toss up!
Well unfortunately the increase in power isn't all that much, 600 mw vs 400 is about a 1.8 dB improvement and the additional path loss at 4 miles on 5.8 GHz is around 8 dB, so the power increase doesn't come close to mitigating the additional path loss (although the antennas as probably have a bit more gain at 5.8 so that helps too.) So if you figure maybe 2 dB more antenna gain you are left with a net deficit of around 4 dB for 5.8 at 4 miles, but...the real difference is the noise floor which can easily be 10 dB (or more) higher on 2.4 in a noisy area (which is just about everywhere these days unless you are really out in the country), so perhaps a 6 dB link improvement overall in this example (and 6 dB is a lot.) These are all just SWAGs since some of these numbers are an educated guess, but you get the idea. Another important factor is receive sensitivity on one band vs. the other but I've never seen that published.

Last edited:
I was wondering if you or some of the others posting in the distance thread were going to jump in. ;)
It was that very thread that has me fired up to grab the P4P, but then so many have been writing the opposite elsewhere...and thus the reason I started this thread.
I'm hoping with the advice from some of you guys that we see a huge difference with some of the flyers posting bad range...as what happened in the distance thread.
Pick one up at Best Buy and see for yourself! You have 15-45 days to return it, depending upon your prior purchases, which may qualify you for Elite or Elite Plus status. Nothing beats first hand experience to make a believer! :cool:

As we've been discussing, there are just so many variables involved in anecdotal range reports that they're pretty much useless. As above, if it is something that really concerns you then buy from a vendor with a good return policy and see if your results are acceptable. Much of the focus on range is misplaced in my view, given the current state of battery technology (and the resultant maximum flight time) there's not a lot of use in ranges beyond a couple of miles anyway, at least if you plan on doing anything more than traveling a distance and then just returning immediately.

Well unfortunately the increase in power isn't all that much, 600 mw vs 400 is about a 1.8 dB improvement and the additional path loss at 4 miles on 5.8 GHz is around 8 dB, so the power increase doesn't come close to mitigating the additional path loss (although the antennas as probably have a bit more gain at 5.8 so that helps too.) So if you figure maybe 2 dB more antenna gain you are left with a net deficit of around 4 dB for 5.8 at 4 miles, but...the real difference is the noise floor which can easily be 10 dB (or more) higher on 2.4 in a noisy area (which is just about everywhere these days unless you are really out in the country), so perhaps a 6 dB link improvement overall in this example (and 6 dB is a lot.) These are all just SWAGs since some of these numbers are an educated guess, but you get the idea. Another important factor is receive sensitivity on one band vs. the other but I've never seen that published.
I was quickly converted from a skeptic into a believer! For all I know, the DJI programmers mixed up the labels, and 5.8Ghz is really 2.4Ghz! ;) I'm just happy it works! Otherwise, it was one of the biggest disappointments, and a transmitter mod was going to be necessary, like with the P4, to get the rated distance in my area. Saved several hundreds of dollars, and no external antenna to schlepp around with boosters and yet another battery! Switching OAS on also boosted the flight time from 18 minutes to 25 minutes! Now, no battery mod needed either, to get 25 minute flight times! It's the holy grail! :cool:

I was quickly converted from a skeptic into a believer! For all I know, the DJI programmers mixed up the labels, and 5.8Ghz is really 2.4Ghz! ;) I'm just happy it works! Otherwise, it was one of the biggest disappointments, and a transmitter mod was going to be necessary, like with the P4, to get the rated distance in my area. Saved several hundreds of dollars, and no external antenna to schlepp around with boosters and yet another battery! Switching OAS on also boosted the flight time from 18 minutes to 25 minutes! Now, no battery mod needed either, to get 25 minute flight times! It's the holy grail! :cool:
This is what i found about OA also. Anyways i am just amazed by this thing everyday it def is the holy grail. Range is killer!

How did you get 40,000 feet away with the P4P and still manage to return to your launch point on the stock P4P battery? That's 80,000 feet round trip, and I have never exceeded 57,000 total. What am I doing wrong? :confused:
Haha no no i did a 40,000 round trip actually a little more because one way was a little over 20,000 i couldnt do this with my p4 and dbs mod! Did this on my second flight with p4p and range has been consistent i could have done more but being only my second flight i think i did good besides rth wanted me back and came home with 22℅ here is a screenshot of one way and then whole flight

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170109-050226.png
    Screenshot_20170109-050226.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 281
  • 20170109_050622.png
    20170109_050622.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 338
This is what i found about OA also. Anyways i am just amazed by this thing everyday it def is the holy grail. Range is killer!
It clearly has been optimized for 30mph to encourage the use of Obstacle Avoidance. Now if only the 4K 60fps video glitches and left banking gimbal flips could be eliminated from the video, I'd be in nirvana!

Haha no no i did a 40,000 round trip actually a little more because one way was a little over 20,000 i couldnt do this with my p4 and dbs mod! Did this on my second flight with p4p and range has been consistent i could have done more but being only my second flight i think i did good besides rth wanted me back and came home with 22℅ here is a screenshot of one way and then whole flight
That's a lot more reasonable! My P4 with amped DBS-02 will do 6 miles! However, over 4 miles on the P4P covers most of my needs, as long as I continue to get 25 minute flight times without a battery mod, as I have. It's what I was expecting out of the stock P4, but had to resort to a transmitter and battery mod to get, adding almost $1000 extra to the P4 purchase price, by the time you add everything up! :eek:

Would like to hear back from those in this thread that have found P4P range lacking to try what gambino and gadgetguy have tried.

Apreciate all the thoughts and comments.

So basically manual band selection to 5.8GHz with auto channel selection?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
On iOS, you have to manually select which Auto band, so, yes, Auto and select 5.8Ghz, and if it ever changes in flight (the band selected is displayed next to the HD link bars at the top), change it back to 5.8Ghz. Happy long distance P4P flying! :cool:

I want to see 40,000 feet. Round trip NO WAY !!!! 22,000 & I'm running on fumes . Look up FPV Customs for the Drone battery mods. Even with that 23500 is my max . The extra range power helps you fly lower for a far better flight ./. So a stock P4P can fly 4.3 miles . Not at 400 feet or lower out of my location. Apparently in other places. Bring it to my back yard .

At 600 feet with the Antenna kit from tony & boosters you will do it 23500 feet.

ONE LAST THING !!!!
On both my P4 & P4P THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN RANGE AT ALL WITH THE KITS !!!!

How did you get 40,000 feet away with the P4P and still manage to return to your launch point on the stock P4P battery? That's 80,000 feet round trip, and I have never exceeded 57,000 total. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Is this like "My fish was THIIISSSS BIGGG!"? ;-) Let's see that 7 mile ranges on the screen....do it again $gambino$ and take a video of it and post it up because that would be really interesting. Even 5.3 miles is fantastic GadgetGuy (is that stock everything without boosters?). Those distance videos on YouTube are very interesting to watch.

I want to see 40,000 feet. Round trip NO WAY !!!! 22,000 & I'm running on fumes . Look up FPV Customs for the Drone battery mods. Even with that 23500 is my max . The extra range power helps you fly lower for a far better flight ./. So a stock P4P can fly 4.3 miles . Not at 400 feet or lower out of my location. Apparently in other places. Bring it to my back yard .

At 600 feet with the Antenna kit from tony & boosters you will do it 23500 feet.

ONE LAST THING !!!!
My stock P4 craps out at 6700 feet. With a boosted DBS-02 instead, I turned around at 5.9 miles away, only because the battery was at 51%. Since the P4P already does over 4 miles in 5.8Ghz stock, a proper antenna booster for 5.8Ghz will easily reach 6 miles or more, but won't make it back, without a battery mod! Itelite is the ticket!

Although I agree with the point of your comment, I really can't see how can that apply to my post. I wrote down how I tested and between "Phantom 4 Pro (CE) range suck" and "MY Phantom 4 Pro range suck" there are no other reasons why would my P4P perform like this. And by suck I mean it will do 1/5th to 1/3rd distance "inferior" P3P does in EXACTLY the same scenario. And I use "worst" GL300C with CE limitation with P3P.
Have you tried changing settings with the P4P to improve results? Sometimes auto is not the best option.

ONE LAST THING !!!!
What u mean i posted proof i did a little over 40,000 round trip. I had 22 percent left when i came back so one could brobably get 45,000 which is fantastic for a p4pro...my p4 i had itelite and still never got close to this....it did improve range tho

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT