Why so many range discrepancies?

Reaction score
Doing as much research as I can. Was going to order the mavic, but started wondering about the P4P from a camera (very interested in stills as well), wind stability (shoreline beaches of N.C.), and range/distance. Besides image/video, I'm an avid fisherman, and finding small schools of what I'm hunting would be a bonus.

After reading some of the distance threads, which were very interesting, and then reading other threads (that may have been started much earlier) that claim range issues, I'm not sure what to expect. I see several in the distance thread start out with concerns, but after playing around with settings (auto and 5.8) via help from others, are blown away with capability.

I understand there are always environment variables and user awareness, but was hoping to see some sort of common averaging that might lead to a safe bet on what to expect, and possibly fish out any possible changes DJI may have addressed while making the P4P over its manufacturing life span that would suggest earlier models had range issues by newer do not.

I'm not interested in setting distance records, and fully understand rules/regulations on such, but again, trust in capability is a nice confidence to have.

Although the mavic's camera is not on par with this guy, I'd be more interested if it was soundly more capable in wind and range.

Appreciate thoughts and comments from those with experience in either.

I understand there are always environment variables and user awareness, but was hoping to see some sort of common averaging that might lead to a safe bet on what to expect, and possibly fish out any possible changes DJI may have addressed while making the P4P over its manufacturing life span that would suggest earlier models had range issues by newer do not.
Range issues are usually always caused by environmental factors and/or not positioning the antennas properly. Unfortunately, nobody will be able to quote a number that will be accurate for you since we all fly in extremely different environments. The numbers in the P4P specs are what you should expect in ideal flying conditions.

Reactions: bkushner
Everybody's ranges will be different... ALWAYS. Conditions, environment, equipment, perception, differs, by the minute. Highly fluid dynamic.

Reactions: bkushner
What remains the same is, ..... general results, shades of similarities. THAT is what we look at.

I draw my conclusions from practical tests. I take both of my birds, p3p and p4p to a same location, I put RC on a stand, take off from a same spot, go to same altitude, put same landmark into the camera cross hair and press forward. And my tests tell me that P4P range sucks ATM.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Although the mavic's camera is not on par with this guy, I'd be more interested if it was soundly more capable in wind and range.
The P4pro and Mavic are both quite capable of long range and good performance in wind.
It always pays to be skeptical when reading negative forum posts (like the one above).
Many people can be quite vocal when they believe there is something wrong with their Phantom - but the problem isn't always the Phantom.
It's not always easy but you really need to get a good understanding of the facts before you can accept statements like And my tests tell me that P4P range sucks ATM.
It goes against the numerous reports of very good distance coming in from so many users and provides no details that might explain the observation.
It could be as simple as the user is in a high interference area, didn't orient antennas properly of didn't know he could choose 2.4 MHz or 5.8 MHz frequencies.
His Phantom may have a fault or it could perfect but the problem may be due to one of many factors.
But you would never know without details.

From a post I made in another thread:

I just tried a few runs on the open desert. I set to 2.4 GHz for (what I thought would be) maximum range and the initial run was disappointing, started to lose connectivity at around 4000'. I then realized that even though I was in the desert I was near a zillion RVs (there is a large gathering going on here) and every one probably had a WiFi hotspot running with the result of the noise level here on 2.4 probably being worse than in a city, and there was a cellular tower nearby to boot. I switched to 5.8 and easily ran out to over 2 miles with full bars for both the controller and downlink. I then started to see the return link waver a bit and essentially ran out of nerve before I ran out of range. That is really amazing performance for a 600mw 5.8 GHz link with crappy antennas and I'm sure I could have done better if 2.4 was usable.

One takeaway here is that having a 5.8 GHz link capability is a very useful feature, and the other is that many reports of range problems likely have to do with the noise floor on the RF channel. It's just about impossible to make accurate assumptions about such things without a lot of expensive test equipment and the expertise to use it.

Regarding range capabilities of the P4P vs. Mavic, the 5.8 GHz capability of the P4P might well provide superior performance depending on conditions.

Lastly, I don't think there is an difference with respect to range in newer or older P4P's... there was a near hysteria concerning P4P range early on but it basically boiled down to the same few individuals posting over and over. They finally quieted down as multiple and documented impressive P4P range reports started to show up.

Last edited:
The P4pro and Mavic are both quite capable of long range and good performance in wind.
It always pays to be skeptical when reading negative forum posts (like the one above).
Many people can be quite vocal when they believe there is something wrong with their Phantom - but the problem isn't always the Phantom.
It's not always easy but you really need to get a good understanding of the facts before you can accept statements like And my tests tell me that P4P range sucks ATM.
It goes against the numerous reports of very good distance coming in from so many users and provides no details that might explain the observation.
It could be as simple as the user is in a high interference area, didn't orient antennas properly of didn't know he could choose 2.4 MHz or 5.8 MHz frequencies.
His Phantom may have a fault or it could perfect but the problem may be due to one of many factors.
But you would never know without details.

Although I agree with the point of your comment, I really can't see how can that apply to my post. I wrote down how I tested and between "Phantom 4 Pro (CE) range suck" and "MY Phantom 4 Pro range suck" there are no other reasons why would my P4P perform like this. And by suck I mean it will do 1/5th to 1/3rd distance "inferior" P3P does in EXACTLY the same scenario. And I use "worst" GL300C with CE limitation with P3P.

It can even matter what direction you are facing. I tried taking off near my apartment in 5.8 mode (all the apartments are saturated with 2,4). Facing away from the building I got around 4000 feet distance. Turned even slightly towards the building I got 3000 feet. (The area is semi-rural). I am sure over the ocean it would be better.

It can even matter what direction you are facing. I tried taking off near my apartment in 5.8 mode (all the apartments are saturated with 2,4). Facing away from the building I got around 4000 feet distance. Turned even slightly towards the building I got 3000 feet. (The area is semi-rural). I am sure over the ocean it would be better.

I use a tripod stand with custom made wooden plate for my RC. I use compass to point it exactly to the aircraft when I do distance runs. I can even adjust tilt of the plate to compensate for distance/height angle.

I have a P4 & a P4P . Both have the FVP Antennas & boosters. Now my range exceeds my Drones batteries. 22000 feet. SO I purchased the FPV Drone 5500 kit. $250 + $125 for the split battery. Hoping for the promised 40 minutes , It only increased my range by 1000 ft. FYI , I fly only at 400 feet over the Everglades where there are no persons. " Just Gators "

I draw my conclusions from practical tests. I take both of my birds, p3p and p4p to a same location, I put RC on a stand, take off from a same spot, go to same altitude, put same landmark into the camera cross hair and press forward. And my tests tell me that P4P range sucks ATM.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Set your P4P to Auto and 5.8Ghz. Test again, and report back. You'll be pleasantly surprised. :cool:

Last edited:
Set your P4P to Auto and 5.8Ghz and lower the FPV quality to 4Mbs. Test again, and report back. You'll be pleasantly surprised. :cool:
Unfortunately you can't set the FPV Quality setting while in Auto mode (must go to Manual), but otherwise good advice.

From a post I made in another thread:

I just tried a few runs on the open desert. I set to 2.4 GHz for (what I thought would be) maximum range and the initial run was disappointing, started to lose connectivity at around 4000'. I then realized that even though I was in the desert I was near a zillion RVs (there is a large gathering going on here) and every one probably had a WiFi hotspot running with the result of the noise level here on 2.4 probably being worse than in a city, and there was a cellular tower nearby to boot. I switched to 5.8 and easily ran out to over 2 miles with full bars for both the controller and downlink. I then started to see the return link waver a bit and essentially ran out of nerve before I ran out of range. That is really amazing performance for a 600mw 5.8 GHz link with crappy antennas and I'm sure I could have done better if 2.4 was usable.

One takeaway here is that having a 5.8 GHz link capability is a very useful feature, and the other is that many reports of range problems likely have to do with the noise floor on the RF channel. It's just about impossible to make accurate assumptions about such things without a lot of expensive test equipment and the expertise to use it.

Regarding range capabilities of the P4P vs. Mavic, the 5.8 GHz capability of the P4P might well provide superior performance depending on conditions.

Lastly, I don't think there is an difference with respect to range in newer or older P4P's... there was a near hysteria concerning P4P range early on but it basically boiled down to the same few individuals posting over and over. They finally quieted down as multiple and documented impressive P4P range reports started to show up.
I was one of the earlier complainers about P4P range. However, once I managed to find out exactly which settings those claiming great range were using, I, too, was able to consistently replicate their results with multiple P4P's (four different P4P's)! Auto and 5.8GHz is the ticket! Try it! You'll like it! :cool:

Although I agree with the point of your comment, I really can't see how can that apply to my post. I wrote down how I tested and between "Phantom 4 Pro (CE) range suck" and "MY Phantom 4 Pro range suck" there are no other reasons why would my P4P perform like this. And by suck I mean it will do 1/5th to 1/3rd distance "inferior" P3P does in EXACTLY the same scenario. And I use "worst" GL300C with CE limitation with P3P.
Try Auto and 5.8Ghz and report back.

Unfortunately you can't set the FPV Quality setting while in Auto mode (must go to Manual), but otherwise good advice.
My bad. Old habits die hard! ;) I have removed the FPV Quality recommendation above.

Last edited:
Yup i have a p4 and p4p the p4p blows my p4 with dbs mod out of the water....i got over 40,000 ft with p4p still had signal had to turn back because of battery. setting was auto and i selected 5.8. now we all no 2.4 should be better then 5.8ghz but that is not the case with p4p dji states that 5.8 will do 4.3 miles as well as 2.4....power output is also higher on 5.8 v2.4ghz 28dbm vs 26dbm. I can always and consistently get great range with my p4p no matter where i am. Range is insane. It beats my friends mavic consistently also. My p4 with dbs was good but not consistent and had to be pointed perfectly at ac ....it was picky

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I have a P4 & a P4P . Both have the FVP Antennas & boosters. Now my range exceeds my Drones batteries. 22000 feet. SO I purchased the FPV Drone 5500 kit. $250 + $125 for the split battery. Hoping for the promised 40 minutes , It only increased my range by 1000 ft. FYI , I fly only at 400 feet over the Everglades where there are no persons. " Just Gators "
Do you have a link to the P4P FPV antenna and boosters kit, as well as the P4P FPV Drone 5500 kit for the aircraft battery mod? I wasn't aware one existed yet. What do you mean your range only increased 1000 feet? Were you already getting 21,000 feet with your stock P4P setup? I'm confused. I also doubt any claim of 40 minutes on a P4P. Stock is 25 minutes for me. At best, you might get up to 50% more, depending upon the externals used. There is a point of diminishing return where the additional weight of the extra power in the externals cuts into the gains. Also, stress cracks around the rear motor mounts are a common side effect from adding additional weight, to an already optimized setup.

Yup i have a p4 and p4p the p4p blows my p4 with dbs mod out of the water....i got over 40,000 ft with p4p still had signal had to turn back because of battery. setting was auto and i selected 5.8. now we all no 2.4 should be better then 5.8ghz but that is not the case with p4p dji states that 5.8 will do 4.3 miles as well as 2.4....power output is also higher on 5.8 v2.4ghz 28dbm vs 26dbm. I can always and consistently get great range with my p4p no matter where i am. Range is insane. It beats my friends mavic consistently also. My p4 with dbs was good but not consistent and had to be pointed perfectly at ac ....it was picky
How did you get 40,000 feet away with the P4P and still manage to return to your launch point on the stock P4P battery? That's 80,000 feet round trip, and I have never exceeded 57,000 total. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20