Why not stay in "Phantom" mode?

Re: Why not stay in

IrishSights said:
robininni said:
I just don't get spending $1300 on a Phantom 2 Vision+ to
I guess we have all just totally wasted our time replying to your post as we have tried, at length, to explain why. You seemed to be stuck in the mindset of staying a beginner. That's fine but most of us want to move on.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Haha I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue, well done on your diplomatic answer ;)

Am I missing something? Maybe I didn't thoroughly read the manual enough times...
What can "Phantom Mode" do that NAZA mode can't? I sure as hell like being able to flip S1 to failsafe rather than turning off the Tx.
The old Koyo Nexus 30 was brought up... My first was a Concept 30 with a mechanical gyro. I've certainly been around a while.
Now feel free to fly in whatever mode you want, but to bash those of us that chose to have more options just because YOU can't understand the concept behind different flight modes, frankly makes you look like an ***... or perhaps a troll

Why does N017RW (or anyone else) have theirs set to NAZA mode? Because that is what they choose. Respect it.
Nothing quite flies like a Nexus 30 (re: stripped gears, broke start shafts and boom strikes), but if that's what you chose, respect to you!

Does anyone have some video of something recorded in NAZA mode that can't be accomplished in Phantom mode?

Maybe then, we would get it.

Re: Why not stay in

IrishSights said:
robininni said:
I just don't get spending $1300 on a Phantom 2 Vision+ to
I guess we have all just totally wasted our time replying to your post as we have tried, at length, to explain why. You seemed to be stuck in the mindset of staying a beginner. That's fine but most of us want to move on.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I understand to each his own, but I do think you are mistaken by confusing the association of beginner with using the advanced technology of the dji phantom 2 vision +. Using naza mode has nothing to do with advancing out of a beginner's stage. This was the essence of my first post that the general gist of phantom mode being for beginners is incorrect thinking. I bought the phantom 2 vision+ for its technology and I don't see the point of "advancing" to less technology. I'd fly my thunder tiger mini Titan e325 if I wanted less technology.

So you want more challenge and choose the naza mode for that reason so you can fly with less help? Or you really like one of the IOC features? Fine either way, but don't tell me you're advancing because you aren't. I personally don't see much use for it as outlined in my original post and would not have even made it an option. Others obviously do like it. However, staying in phantom mode is not staying a beginner and going naza mode isn't advancing. I bet naza mode has created more customer problems for dji than phantom mode.

tonybarnhill said:
Does anyone have some video of something recorded in NAZA mode that can't be accomplished in Phantom mode?

Maybe then, we would get it.

One of the main advantages of ATTI mode is smoother video. The Phantom is not constantly correcting and trying to maintain orientation. YAW yitters are reduced in ATTI mode compared to GPS or Phantom mode.

Another advantage to ATTI mode is that you can fly faster (max tilt angle is greater). When it's windy enough that you can't hold position in GPS or Phantom mode switching to ATTI mode allows you to actually fly upwind.

By the way, I do realize this is mainly just academic discussion of whether it is a good idea to leave phantom mode and switch to naza mode and I'm not upset that people do it. However I do hope to encourage some who don't need it's features to not make that change and realize that there is really little gained and flying in naza mode increases the chance of mistakes occurring and that you can be a good 'advanced' pilot and never use naza mode.

I like flying my P2V+. I think it's a great product. Mine is pretty much out of the box setup. I love to tweak and hack gadgets with my programming skills to make them unique and my own. The way I see it, the roughly AUD$1600 was paid off after 16 flights. I live in an area rich with tourism so there are a lot of alternatives to spending $100 per hour of fun. Not many compare to me just racing around a field with my P2V+.

So here is my 2 cents.. stick in the statistically safe out of the box setup until you feel you have gotten your money worth at even $50/hr rate. Fly how you want, every moment you can. Start being a bit tricky with it if you feel the need and can be pretty sure you won't crash into a tree or something. Then, if you feel the itch to tweak, tune or push your P2V+ further - go for it. Even if you fall from the sky and spend the next few days sobbing in a corner, you will be laughing months down the track when you save the money up and buy the latest model from DJI and we are all still discussing who lost their P2V+ and how :)

We are the owners of little flying machines that are capable of connecting to satellites in space.. remember to have fun!

SeeUAV said:
I like flying my P2V+. I think it's a great product. Mine is pretty much out of the box setup. I love to tweak and hack gadgets with my programming skills to make them unique and my own. The way I see it, the roughly AUD$1600 was paid off after 16 flights. I live in an area rich with tourism so there are a lot of alternatives to spending $100 per hour of fun. Not many compare to me just racing around a field with my P2V+.

So here is my 2 cents.. stick in the statistically safe out of the box setup until you feel you have gotten your money worth at even $50/hr rate. Fly how you want, every moment you can. Start being a bit tricky with it if you feel the need and can be pretty sure you won't crash into a tree or something. Then, if you feel the itch to tweak, tune or push your P2V+ further - go for it. Even if you fall from the sky and spend the next few days sobbing in a corner, you will be laughing months down the track when you save the money up and buy the latest model from DJI and we are all still discussing who lost their P2V+ and how :)

We are the owners of little flying machines that are capable of connecting to satellites in space.. remember to have fun!

Bravo!

I had similar comments awhile back in a different thread.

It costs money for any hobby or interest (golf, fishing, scuba-diving, etc.).
Break it down to whatever it is worth to you [hourly for example] and see where the break-even point from the investment is.
From then on it's 'free'.

robininni said:
I've read quite a few posts and the general vibe I get is that Naza Mode is something you 'graduate' to--something that you use after you learn the ropes--a better place to be. My question: Why is that?

I'm just going to put down a few of my thoughts and you can tell me why I'm wrong or agree with me.

1. You just spent a lot of money for a GPS stabilized RC quadcopter, why in the world would you want to fly it around in 'Attitude' mode? (Oh, I forgot, for the stable 'drift-with-the-wind' video...)

2. Manual Mode? Really? Go buy a cheap quadcopter if you want to fly unassisted.

3. With all the different flying protocols (GPS, Attitude, Manual, Return to Home, IOC Normal, IOC Home Lock, IOC Course Lock) available in Naza Mode at the change of a switch position, do you think this could increase rather than decrease your chances of screwing up? Why would you want to do that?

4. What if your 'fly away' was really that you inadvertently got the Phantom in Course Lock and so it isn't responding 'correctly' to your stick inputs?? Maybe then you panic and switch to Attitude or Manual Mode scared that Return to Home won't work and further confound the issue?

5. I get that the idea of Home Lock being appealing--just pull it back toward you no matter which direction it is facing. What if you are panicking when you use this and forget to only pull back on the right stick? What if you hit something while it is returned to you sideways because that is the last orientation you had it in before using Home Lock? Why not just turn your remote off for a moment, let it Return to Home, where it actually turns and faces you and gives you a very good idea of where it is via the video feed, and then you can switch back on your remote and take control toggling the S1 switch when you feel ready?

I just wonder how many 'fly-aways' and lost Phantoms occurred while the operator was in Naza Mode instead of Phantom mode. My bet would be the answer is a lot. Why not keep it simple? You may get to play with 'Attitude' mode anyway if you lose too many satellites but why would you purposefully choose to dummy down your smart machine?

A lot of what ifs but that's another topic. I can see your point and have no problem with it but there may be a reason to enable Naza mode and that is Atti mode. I know you only fly with with a large amount of satellites but if for what ever reason the gps acts up and it starts to fly away to who knows where at least you can try switching into Atti mode to see if you can regain control. If it is a mechanical issue, it may not help but at least you have that option. If it is flying away, then gps function is not working properly or there is another failure. RTH by turning off Tx probably would not bring it home if gps is malfunctioning. I guess my point is, switch to Naza, leave both switches up and fly your heart out. But if flyaway you can flip a switch for RTH and if that does not work, flip a switch for Atti and if that does not work, order a new one. But you do at least have a choice.

Strange thread, you can still fly in full GPS with NAZA enabled, nice to have some of the options ready at flick of a switch - in particular homelock is very useful to just bring it towards you if you get unsure which way it's facing when almost out of sight.

Why leave useful features disabled, unless to challenge yourself to find a way to manage without them

Re: Why not stay in "Phantom" mode?

robininni said:
By the way, I do realize this is mainly just academic discussion of whether it is a good idea to leave phantom mode and switch to naza mode and I'm not upset that people do it. However I do hope to encourage some who don't need it's features to not make that change and realize that there is really little gained and flying in naza mode increases the chance of mistakes occurring and that you can be a good 'advanced' pilot and never use naza mode.
Robin, for goodness sake we all know your opinion, you dont have to keep repeating it every time someone puts forward a very valid case as to why personally they prefer to use naza mode. You have made your point as have others. There is no universal rights or wrongs here just differences...which is great. Let it go.

BTW. Implying being in naza mode is more problematic for dji is downright reckless. Prove that one. You are verging on being trollistic now. IMO

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

5. I get that the idea of Home Lock being appealing--just pull it back toward you no matter which direction it is facing. What if you are panicking when you use this and forget to only pull back on the right stick? What if you hit something while it is returned to you sideways because that is the last orientation you had it in before using Home Lock? Why not just turn your remote off for a moment, let it Return to Home, where it actually turns and faces you and gives you a very good idea of where it is via the video feed, and then you can switch back on your remote and take control toggling the S1 switch when you feel ready?

Don't turn IOC on, simple. (no accidental switching)
Naza mode: purely to access ATTI in an emergency (forget the settings you don't need)
Fly just like you do in Phantom mode.

Only one example of the many benefits of NAZA mode and IOC:

When I want to make some shots from high up I always switch to Course Lock. Then I can switch to ATTI to remove the tilted horizon resulting from Position Hold and let it drift with the wind while panning. When I feel it has gone far enough and I want to bring it upwind again I don't have to concern myself with the way it is facing. When I'm still standing with the transmitter with its antenna facing the same direction as the Phantom's 'nose' when it set the Course Lock orientation (first green flashes after 30 seconds) I can simply push the right stick in the direction I want the Phantom to fly and it goes there.

How convenient is that?

Best advise I can give to people who have not yet tried NAZA mode and IOC flight modes is: "Try it out!" Enable NAZA mode and IOC and start flying with both switches in the up position. Everything (except the LED signals) is then still the same as Phantom mode. Then while keeping your bird close to you in an open field you start trying ATTI and IOC modes. The latter after you have familiarised yourself with how these work.

If you don't you're simply missing information needed to make an informed decision about the pros and cons of NAZA/IOC. I'm afraid I have to say your opinion will be and remain ill informed as long as you have no first hand experience with these flight modes.

... must not pile on ... must resist... Ah WTF.

robininni said:
.. and realize that there is really little gained

It's those couple of words that I disagree with most. There is much to gain. If you're comfortable in Phantom mode, there is no good reason to not switch. Why fly in crippled mode when there are very useful features available to you in Naza?

Home lock is also extremely useful for semi-POI shots...the list goes on...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

I'm a beginner and not ready for NAZA. BUT: can someone give me a tip as to where I can start reading about NAZA and learn what it can do, how to use it, etc. Thanks! ALB

I started flying my PV2+ on Tuesday and switched it to NAZA last night for two more flights.

Unless the whole set up is faulty or you feel you can't remember to leave both switches up I couldn't see why you wouldn't choose to.

The only thing I SHOULD have done before going out last night was to familiarise myself with the different tail light flashes.

Other than that, switches up & carry on as normal.

Also, make sure when you change over that position 3 on S1 is set to RTH or at least that you know what it IS set to. I was all set to head out but thought I'd better check and was glad I had. It needed altering to RTH and I was assuming it would be set like that by default.

Big Ben said:
Only one example of the many benefits of NAZA mode and IOC:

When I want to make some shots from high up I always switch to Course Lock. Then I can switch to ATTI to remove the tilted horizon resulting from Position Hold and let it drift with the wind while panning.

Why would the camera give a tilted horizon with a 3 direction stabilized gimbal? Are you talking about a non "+" vision? If so, I would agree that would be useful, but not so much with an Vision +. This is the Vision+ forum. Am I missing something?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka