Why Is the Transmitted Video to my iPad Sketchy, Green, and Lousy?

Because 2.4ghz is a really noisy environment. 5.8 is less used. And this really proves my point. We’re l debating what the problem is, the cause and the fix without any input from DJI. We’re all guessing. I’m sure that things did improve by switching to 5.8. Just considering how jammed 2.4 is, That would be better in most cases despite this problem we’re all experiencing.
Yes, this does feel like a guessing game sometimes, but the evidence is compelling about the wifi issue. FYI, ElGuapo and I were flying in the San Gabriel mountains last Saturday when all this happened to him. There is no WiFi interference from other sources up there in the mountains. It was so remote that not even a cellular signal was present. The evidence of the iPad wifi interfering with Lightbridege was pretty conclusive IMO.

Last edited:
The fact that merely switching to iPhone and no other settings changed and it removes the problem tells me it’s a processor issue. I’m sure switching to 5Ghz or turning off Wi-Fi “woe” but they are workarounds for a bigger problem and that’s my point.
Or, it could be the case that you had your Iphone wifi off and the Mini4 wifi was on. Do you recall?
Is your iPhone running iOS11? What CPU is in your iPhone? I'm just curious how it compares to the Mini4.

By the way, I get better range from 5.8Ghz than 2.4Ghz. You might try flying 5.8 all the time, it's sweet with LOS connection, 4+miles!

Last edited:
iPhone X. It’s an A11 Bionic processor. And the 7 Plus was a A10. Both hugely more powerful than the mini line. I’ll do some more experimenting incorporating your suggestions but it still steams me that there is a problem: fact. And we’re all guessing at the solution.

One last thing: let’s say that turning off Wi-Fi is the issue. Then why? What CHANGED that made things bad. Wasn’t always like this. Again, DJI has changed its software. I haven’t changed my hardware. And if it is the solution, it shouldn’t be. I for one occasionally need Wi-Fi on so I can fetch data from the cellular network thru my iPhones hotspot. It’s rare I do this but I should be able to. Something’s designed wrong.

I’ll let you know. And thanks for the ideas.

One last thing to think about. We can all agree that the mini 2 is underpowered right? But it used to work. What changed? DJI GO changed. I think we’re witnessing the same erosion of the mini 4s performance just as we saw with the mini 2

iPhone X. It’s an A11 Bionic processor. And the 7 Plus was a A10. Both hugely more powerful than the mini line. I’ll do some more experimenting incorporating your suggestions but it still steams me that there is a problem: fact. And we’re all guessing at the solution.

One last thing: let’s say that turning off Wi-Fi is the issue. Then why? What CHANGED that made things bad. Wasn’t always like this. Again, DJI has changed its software. I haven’t changed my hardware. And if it is the solution, it shouldn’t be. I for one occasionally need Wi-Fi on so I can fetch data from the cellular network thru my iPhones hotspot. It’s rare I do this but I should be able to. Something’s designed wrong.

I’ll let you know. And thanks for the ideas.

"My guess" about what changed is the IOS migrating to 11, again, just a guess. Maybe iOS11 searches more wifi channels that have started to interfere with DJI go channels. That sounds like a stretch to me, but not impossible. It seems like these problems occur when pilots upgrade to iOS11, but I may be wrong. Tahoe Ed with DJI mentioned that iOS does pose some problems, but didn't elaborate. I take that to mean Go4 needs some work to be iOS11 compatible, however many are flying with it OK, today.

On the other hand, I do believe like you that GO4 is doing more work. Staying up with decoding video is a lot of work. If you add to that the constant calculations of where the craft is by GPS coordinates, and comparing that to the built in database for NFZ in the craft FIRMWARE, that a bunch of additional work that has been introduced in the last 6 months. However that comparison is likely all done in the craft, no added work to GO4 app. Is that enough to make the Mini2 incompatible? Maybe. Mini4? Not yet IMO.

This is why I don't upgrade my DJI firmware or Go4 app. I'm happy as is, and don't want the frustration that others occasionally have, or the NFZ database. I don't need it. I think the root of the problem is pilots think they are going to get something for free when they upgrade. And yes they do, but be careful what you wish for. You may not like what's free. It's my experience that anything you get for free has little value (other than air), but that's just me.

I did learn from ElGuapo that 1.3.509 craft firmware works fine with the latest Go4 version, which was surprising to me. So he can enjoy optional parameter mods on his P4P (which he just implemented) and use the latest GO4 app which is required for his new I2.

Last edited:
My troubles started during the summer on iOS 10. I saw no change with iOS 11. But my experience. I spoke to a drone store in the south that does a lot of business and he confirmed the problems. He mentioned that the software has been increasingly more demanding especially with all the no fly stuff. I think you hit it on the head. If you look at the iOS devices benchmarks I posted you’ll see why iPhones outperform the tablets. I think it’s just (bad) math that’s demanding more of the Cpu. All our little workarounds kind of work. Why? We’re stripping anything away from the CPU having to work harder.

Now unfortunately I’ve updated everything thereby crippling my setup. Tell me on what planet should I be nervous to update? Unless DJI tells me not too because it will cripple my hardware I will update.

Again because their lack of transparency we have no clue why they force out updates other than they add a feature. Never do they say they are fixing bugs which all software has.

And Apple has mechanisms where a dev can leave out certain hardware if their app exceeds it. They don’t. They simply say if you can run iOS 11 you can use our software.

Tell me on what planet should I be nervous to update?
This planet. I'm always nervous about updates, but that's me. I've been in the computer business over 30yrs, and there's always some risk. Code is created by humans, and humans always make mistakes (IE: "I am root" fiasco yesterday with MACs).

I won't update my Phone OS while on vacation, simply because of the risk of ruining my vacation, and that's knowing that I've never had a problem updating my Android phone, ever. I still hesitate, even knowing TCP/IP guarantees the new OS image will arrive complete, over the cellular network, with every single bit in place. And I don't think I'm a paranoid person, I think I'm just careful.

In the 2+yrs of flying DJI craft, it's very common knowledge to long-time forum members here to hesitate on upgrades, waiting until the early adopters validate things, because we know DJI doesn't do validation very good, and we clearly know they don't disclose what they are introducing into new firmware/software, as they simply want to hide it until we find it. We all know that happens, so I naturally don't trust new DJI software, although I love the company product. When I get to a point where I'm happy, I discipline myself to add up the advantages to an upgrade to justify a new upgrade. It's got to be a really really good reason to upgrade, otherwise I don't.

Last edited:
Well the upgrade cat is out of the bag for me. I cannot downgrade. I agree with all your points. MY PROBLEM is now in a version that has issues with yet another iPad purchase on the horizon because I upgraded their software.

Bottom line is I haven’t flown in a while because I foolishly upgraded and my flying experience has become joyless.

Having to behave in a paranoid (justified) fashion towards DJIs software shouldn’t be the default. It is.

I’m sad because as a company DJI sucks towards their customers. Support or CS has been their negative. Sad because it’s a cool product.

Well the upgrade car is out of the bag for me. I cannot downgrade.
Not true. Dumldor and github are your friends. I haven't done it, but others have downgraded to 1.3.509 on their P4P. It's possible. I've downloaded the dumldor app and the firmware for 1.3.509 to my PC, for the occasion that I may need to downgrade a new P4P, or maybe a used craft that I'll buy someday. You have options, but those may void your warranty, FYI.

The last thing I want to do is load up my drone with software from a github repository.

I’m speaking of the DJI go app.
As mentioned in post #66, I have learned from ElGuapo that the current GO4 will run OK with 1.3.509 craft firmware, FYI, if interested. I understand your hesitation with dealing with firmware from a repository, valid concern, however other forums are confirming these are authentic DJI images on GitHub, with check sum confirmed. As mentioned, I have not done a firmware rev-back yet, but I have downloaded the f/w and tools to do it, just in case.

With current firmware you'll likely continue to deal with the wind warning annoyance, but that's minor. The virtue of 1.3.509 is far greater, opening the doors to other freedoms.

Reactions: ravedog
I'm just wondering something because of a recent problem I had... A different device I had stopped working because iOS 11 doesn't support 32 bit applications anymore. The company had to update an app to work 64 bit only to work with iOS 11. Could this be the same with Go 4 or is Go 4 already 64 bit only?

Last edited:
It’s been 64 bit. Been that way since at least June. Most regularly updated apps switched to 64 bit long time ago.

John. I just went and bought a 9.7” iPad Pro 128gb. Let’s see how you like that DJI! I’ll try next week to see if problems disappear. This is getting expensive.

Search my posts. You’ll see screenshot instructions.

And I’ve given up. The problem has plagued the mini 4 and grounded me.

My iPhone 6s is a mess when i fly my P4P. It’s unreal how shitty the feed is no matter how simple of a flight I’m doing. And yes I follow all the recommended steps.

Reactions: ravedog
My iPhone 6s is a mess when i fly my P4P. It’s unreal how shitty the feed is no matter how simple of a flight I’m doing. And yes I follow all the recommended steps.
Have you confirmed you have your iPhone Wi-Fi turned off while flying? I've seen iPads mess up video feeds with Wi-Fi on, regardless of distance when flying P4P when the controller using 2.4Ghz band. If that doesn't help I suggest deleting the GO4 app and reinstalling it.

Have you confirmed you have your iPhone Wi-Fi turned off while flying? I've seen iPads mess up video feeds with Wi-Fi on, regardless of distance when flying P4P when the controller using 2.4Ghz band. If that doesn't help I suggest deleting the GO4 app and reinstalling it.

The narrative here is pretty funny. I used to have no problems using this same iPhone 6s without doing much of anything besides closing out open apps and turning on the Do Not Disturb mode. Now people are literally telling me to buy a new tablet that is only for drone flying. Haha come on. This is clearly a software screwup that can and should be fixed by DJI!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart