Why Is the Transmitted Video to my iPad Sketchy, Green, and Lousy?

Reaction score
I was flying my Phantom 4 Pro to test out video settings recently. I decided to fly over a large parking area by an office complex and fly in a circle using the Point of Interest intelligent flying mode.

I use an Apple iPad mini 2 (Retina/2nd Gen, Wi-Fi/Cellular) with 32GB storage running DJI Go 4.06. iOS 10.2.1.

(I know there are updates now for DJI 4 Go 4.07 and iOS 10.3)

While flying the live video feed on the iPad would get very sketchy, at times it was just green lines instead a full photographic image. Because I could easily see the Phantom, and it was flying in Point of Interest mode, I didn't get alarmed for this flight. However, when I am flying I like to see what the camera is seeing when I shoot video.

At the end of the flight I noticed there were many cell phone transponders mounted on the roof of an office building about 1000 feet away.

When I upload the flight record to Airdata.com, there are minor signal errors. The first 11 minutes of flight, the errors are in the green zone, less than 60 per 30 seconds. Ranging from 3 to 55. However at 11:30 in the flight the minor signal errors reach 70 and as high as 89, in the orange and red zone.

The video recorded on the SD card is fine, but I am concerned about my ability to accurately direct the drone to get the video I want if the video on the iPad as I fly is so lousy.

Later the same day, I flew over open fields at a college, and I did not have the dropped or lousy video feed. Which seems to be some evidence of cell tower interference.

I fully charged the iPad before flying.
The only open apps were DJI Go 4 and Settings.

Do I have lousy video
Because of cell tower interference?
Because my iPad mini 2 is not keeping up with the current software?
Because of settings in DJI Go 4?

Will updating to the latest DJI Go and iOS improve the video feed?
Would a newer iPad mini with a faster chip and more RAM help?

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve the quality of the live feed?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I just looked at the flight record on Airdata, of my later flight over a field at a college, the maximum Minor Signal Errors per 30 seconds was 8. The average per 30 seconds was 4 vs. an average of 30 Minor Signal Errors per 30 seconds with the flight where video transmission was an issue.

I just looked at the flight record on Airdata, of my later flight over a field at a college, the maximum Minor Signal Errors per 30 seconds was 8. The average per 30 seconds was 4 vs. an average of 30 Minor Signal Errors per 30 seconds with the flight where video transmission was an issue.

Geebee - I, too am having these same issues. I'm wondering what is going on? Video on card is fine, but the video on iPad A2 is really choppy and crappy. I've tried to post on this issue, too, but no luck. Here are some screen shots from Go4App - do you have the same?
416a2f23a07334ac5e7befd352a42793.jpg
631dad9f0ad2225a90ca9b39fe6abe0c.jpg

I've had my fpv freeze sometimes on a few flights but nothing this extreme. I think it's just because I didn't firmware update my drone

It's all in the Go App itself. Has nothing to do with firmware on the aircraft. I always delete my Go Apps before I install a new updated version. When a update is available, delete the old app then install the new one from scratch.

Geebee - I, too am having these same issues. I'm wondering what is going on? Video on card is fine, but the video on iPad A2 is really choppy and crappy. I've tried to post on this issue, too, but no luck. Here are some screen shots from Go4App - do you have the same?
416a2f23a07334ac5e7befd352a42793.jpg
631dad9f0ad2225a90ca9b39fe6abe0c.jpg
HI silly question have you tried a different USB cord,,sometime they go bit odd:)

Yip I live in tall hills with couple big cell towers,,,gives me lot of errors but OK if I go the coast,!,you could have play with transmission channels in camera settings...

Great suggestions. I'm gonna try a reload and a new lightning cable. Last year I had to use OEM cable to complete an update on the P4.

Hi all - tried the suggestions. Still problems. Anyone had experience with a warranty claim?

Same issue with iPad 2. It's the latest go app 4. I was doing work for dronebase and I almost wasted my time and killed the mission. I decided to quit the app and flew exclusively with Litchi. Fix it DJI!

Hi all - tried the suggestions. Still problems. Anyone had experience with a warranty claim?
HI 2 more ideas,,,try a factory reset on camera settings,,,,and have your drone on and go through camera settings of recording and see which one best,,eg. I using 1080 30/fps

What about the module that sends the video out to the iPad- any chance that's the weak link? Would it be a good idea to get the module for hdmi (I wanted to add FPV goggles anyway) and see if that's better? OR does this VOID the warranty.

I had same issues. iPhone 7 plus fine. The processor on the mini 2 cannot handle the amount of video being thrown at it. Here's a test: lower the bitrate in your HD settings and see if the problem goes away. Bet it does. But the feed picture is lousy and blocky.

I permanently solved it by getting a mini 4 which has the A8 processor. Works plenty well and haven't had a problem since.

Reactions: Chris berd
Well. Went flying two days ago and every place I was in the desert led to breakup green and half black screens. Changing bands no luck. Antenna adjustments. No luck. I literally was flying blind for most of the day. Don't know what's changed. Latest iOS and latest Go app.

At one location I lasted 10 mins before iPad overheated. Cooled the iPad off in car against the AC. Then tried a few more flights from inside the car with AC going and still bad breakup.

Seems if was at iOS 10.3.1. Updated this evening and no glitching in the video feed. Will try tomorrow when I have some sun.

This configuration fix the problem. Thank to Ekapon

DJI GO App
• Image Transmission : Custom, 5.8 GHz, low mbps (4-6 mbps)
• Video Cache : off

I also updated my iPad to iOS 10.3.2 Beta.

All of the above settings are to reduce processor load on my old iPad Air, but I'm still not sure which part of those settings actually solve the problem.

Original post: Display flashes green and blackout

Reactions: ScottNavyMan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers