Why Is the Transmitted Video to my iPad Sketchy, Green, and Lousy?

It's the video bit rate. I'm hypothesizing that they upped the bitrate on the auto setting.

I had same issues. iPhone 7 plus fine. The processor on the mini 2 cannot handle the amount of video being thrown at it. Here's a test: lower the bitrate in your HD settings and see if the problem goes away. Bet it does. But the feed picture is lousy and blocky.

I permanently solved it by getting a mini 4 which has the A8 processor. Works plenty well and haven't had a problem since.

I have the mini 4 and still have these issues...dam

Yeah my mini 4 was great until 2 updates ago. Now it's choking again. Workaround: go into the feed settings. Change it to manual. Pick and uncrowded channel. The change the bitrate to like 6mbs. It should be ok.

Last edited:
Can the galaxy s5 handle the p4p image? The phone is listed on the approved list of device's.

I was fine using auto (usually transmitting 10mbps) until I updated my ipad mini 2 from iOS 9.3.4 to iOS 10.3.1. Now I have use manual at 8mbps and all is well. Caching on is not an issue. I think the new iOS is more processor intensive.

It's not the os. It's DJI. I was fine on iOS 10 with my mini 4. Then DJI updated their app and overnight AUTO was too much data. Had to switch to manual.

Reactions: bluesgeek
It's not the os. It's DJI. I was fine on iOS 10 with my mini 4. Then DJI updated their app and overnight AUTO was too much data. Had to switch to manual.

My report probably supports this. I did the app update around the time I did the iOS update, so I can't conclusively state which is the culprit.

I have the same issues with video using my ipad3mini since the firmware update. Also I get a warning saying my processor is overloaded even though the dji go app is the only thing open. Funny thing is if I use my iphone6, I dont have any of these issues but I want to use the ipad so I can see the video better when I am flying.

I’ve been going thru this for months now. Things have slowly gotten worse: each workaround eventually failing. Sent to DJI. “Oh look it’s your camera! Send us money! Try again I say. Oh look, it’s the transmitter. Send us money. Contact DJI thru of all places Twitter. New drone returned without cost.

Went to fly the other day and

Frozen screens.
CPU warnings
Green screens
Unusable fpv.

I give up

I’ve been going thru this for months now. Things have slowly gotten worse: each workaround eventually failing. Sent to DJI. “Oh look it’s your camera! Send us money! Try again I say. Oh look, it’s the transmitter. Send us money. Contact DJI thru of all places Twitter. New drone returned without cost.

Frozen screens.
CPU warnings
Green screens
Unusable fpv.

I give up
This is exactly why you should never update anything if your craft is flying OK. It's too bad you're way past that opportunity, sorry for your frustration. Everyone thinks with new firmware or app software they are going to get something cool and new for free. That's what DJI hopes you think, sucking you into things that turn out bad. In reality it often ends up with DJI adding more limitations and removing features unannounced, you have to find them yourself. I love DJI hardware, but as a company you have to be careful and smart about how you maintain your craft.

I find the primary cause of video clarity problems, such as breakups, static, and disconnects are:
1. Heat. The A7 CPU in iPadMini2 and 3 are marginal for performance. They work fine if in temps under 90F, but above that you're at high risk. The graphics decoder overheats and can't keep up with the data-rate coming from the craft. I have a Mini2 and occasionally need to fly from in the car with the air running. My iPad Air2 doesn't exhibit these heat issues, but I'm fortunate, I'm on old firmware and app software.
2. Interference. When I fly near other DJI pilots that are flying their craft, closer than ~50' to the other pilot RC, I get break-ups. Flying on 5.8 when the other is on 2.4Ghz fixes this. It's also possible to get interference from radio towers if you're too close, I mean really close, but I find that doesn't happen very often, pretty rare.
3. Distance. As you get to the outskirts of the limits of the RC, naturally video is going to drop out. This can be mitigated by flying with the lowest bitrate, 4mbps on a custom channel with the least interference. I do this when I'm on long distance flights and the connection integrity is more important than the clarity of the displayed image on my iPad. Trees that hinder your LOS connection can do this too. Think of trees like water, they simply don't let signal through. You must fly with LOS with nothing but air between you and the craft. Surprisingly, glass, like car windshields, don't hind the signal much, it works OK to fly from inside the car if the craft is in LOS through the glass.
4. Phone or iPad Wifi hunting for a channel. When flying on 2.4Ghz, any device nearby, such as your phone, iPad or Android tablet, can interfere with Lightbridge 2.4Ghz video from your craft. If the Wifi is not connected to an access point, the wifi will hunt for a connection, pinging each Wifi channel in the 2.4Ghz band. This channel hunting by the wifi will interfere with the Lightbridge signal from the craft, regardless of range. If you fly on the 5.8Ghz band, this problem goes away for some reason, apparently because iPad doesn't ping 5.8Ghz the same as 2.4Ghz.

Last edited:

Frozen screens.
CPU warnings
Green screens
Unusable fpv.

I give up

I am going to try the app Litchi. It seems that people have been trying this app with good results. If it dont work then I guess I threw $1500.00 in the trash.

This is exactly why you should never update anything if your craft is flying OK. It's too bad you're way past that opportunity, sorry for your frustration. Everyone thinks with new firmware or app software they are going to get something cool and new for free. That's what DJI hopes you think, sucking you into things that turn out bad. In reality it often ends up with DJI adding more limitations and removing features unannounced, you have to find them yourself. I love DJI hardware, but as a company you have to be careful and smart about how you maintain your craft.

I find the primary cause of video clarity problems, such as breakups, static, and disconnects are:
1. Heat. The A7 CPU in iPadMini2 and 3 are marginal for performance. They work fine if in temps under 90F, but above that you're at high risk. The graphics decoder overheats and can't keep up with the data-rate coming from the craft. I have a Mini2 and occasionally need to fly from in the car with the air running. My iPad Air2 doesn't exhibit these heat issues, but I'm fortunate, I'm on old firmware and app software.
2. Interference. When I fly near other DJI pilots that are flying their craft, closer than ~50' to the other pilot RC, I get break-ups. Flying on 5.8 when the other is on 2.4Ghz fixes this. It's also possible to get interference from radio towers if you're too close, I mean really close, but I find that doesn't happen very often, pretty rare.
3. Distance. As you get to the outskirts of the limits of the RC, naturally video is going to drop out. This can be mitigated by flying with the lowest bitrate, 4mbps on a custom channel with the least interference. I do this when I'm on long distance flights and the connection integrity is more important than the clarity of the displayed image on my iPad. Trees that hinder your LOS connection do this too. Think of trees like water, they simply don't let signal through. You must fly with LOS with nothing but air between you and the craft. Surprisingly, glass, like car windshields, don't hind the signal much, it works OK to fly from inside the car if the craft is in LOS through the glass.

These are all great point John. However. I have a mini 4, I’m no where near anyone or anything and these are happening 20’ away.

As far as updating is concerned this is counter intuitive to software in general. Why is DJI the exception. Which update is a genuine fix and which one breaks things. Which one is the bad update and then are we hopelessly stuck. To say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it is a misnomer with software. Software is written by humans: there will always be bugs and they will always need updating.

The problem is DJI is opaque and incompetent and silent on all matters of fixes. Basically we bought a product that has bad support and worse software design. And the fact we never get straight answers has led us to have tons of threads with fixes and workarounds that are based on haphazard guessing and voodoo.

My iPad did not change. It’s the same iPad. DJI go changed and so did the quad. Ergo, it’s DJI. But a DJI that has no response.

It has taken the joy of flying from me. And I’ll be damned if I will keep chasing ghosts by buying new tablets to fix their problem. FYI. Both your tablet and mine are in the list of recommended devices. It used to be that ios was the better platform for DJI but is Android now? I have no idea but they BOTH should work.

These are all great point John. However. I have a mini 4, I’m no where near anyone or anything and these are happening 20’ away.

As far as updating is concerned this is counter intuitive to software in general. Why is DJI the exception. Which update is a genuine fix and which one breaks things. Which one is the bad update and then are we hopelessly stuck. To say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it is a misnomer with software. Software is written by humans: there will always be bugs and they will always need updating.

The problem is DJI is opaque and incompetent and silent on all matters of fixes. Basically we bought a product that has bad support and worse software design. And the fact we never get straight answers has led us to have tons of threads with fixes and workarounds that are based on haphazard guessing and voodoo.

My iPad did not change. It’s the same iPad. DJI go changed and so did the quad. Ergo, it’s DJI. But a DJI that has no response.

It has taken the joy of flying from me. And I’ll be damned if I will keep chasing ghosts by buying new tablets to fix their problem. FYI. Both your tablet and mine are in the list of recommended devices. It used to be that ios was the better platform for DJI but is Android now? I have no idea but they BOTH should work.

I agree! My hardware did NOT change, the firmware caused my issues. I have written DJI and even left post on their fb page. They refuse to answer any questions. I dont know if it will work for me but I see a lot of people purchasing Litchi and having success. Sad that another companies app works better than the actual manufacturer.

Reactions: ravedog
I agree! My hardware did NOT change, the firmware caused my issues. I have written DJI and even left post on their fb page. They refuse to answer any questions

I'd be really ticked off in your situation, spending that much money and no joy. I suggest you look into ways to back-rev your firmware back to 1.3.509 and enjoy flight. I hear there are ways to do that, but I'm unsure how. Using that version my craft works awesome, and with that version you can fix things yourself that need to be fixed, like disabling the wind warning, stopping the REV REV during motor startup, lower idle speed, turning off the 1640' elevation limit to climb mountains higher, among other things. I may not be able to justify buying another model craft when I've been spoiled with this new found freedom in my P4P to go places I could never go before. It's pretty sweet.

Have you made certain all the background programs are turned off? It is recommended.

I'm having the same experience with the P4P. Did you find a solution?
On my P3P, I used an Ipad mini 2, on 2.4ghz, and it was rock solid for very long distances. Bought the P4P, Upgraded everything including DJI Go app, and the iPad mini 2 is practically useless. I get choppy, green screen on live feed consistently. I tried, re-linking RC, turning off background refresh and Bluetooth on ipad, delete/reinstall app, turning off video cache...nothing works. Same result whether I'm 50ft or 500ft away. If you look at the available channels they are mostly red, and this is out in the middle of nowhere. If I choose 5.8ghz, it becomes usable, but still plenty of dropout on the live feed.

If I use my iPhone 7 Plus or my wife's iPhone 8 Plus, I get great live feed with the same settings as the Mini2. Since I want a little bigger screen, I bought a Mini 4 yesterday, and will give that a try. The DJI Go app is the only app installed on the Mini 4 besides the standard IOS apps.
According to this thread, the Mini 4 may not work out either. If it doesn't, I'm done with DJI for now, and am in the return window at Best Buy for the P4P, until DJI fixes their APP issues. It is no fun and dangerous flying with the live feed dropping out 3-4 seconds at a time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers