Why a P2 over P3 ?

Reaction score
I see DJI still sales the P2

Anybody have info or has both and could to tell about why you would still buy the P2

yes that is the obvious for the gopro but the fact they are still selling them and why when they have got away from gopro

They also sell them as replacements for crashed/destroyed units. Could also be do those who don't need all the bells and whistles but fly LOS only.

Reactions: 750r
yes that is the obvious for the gopro but the fact they are still selling them and why when they have got away from gopro

Selling off inventory would be another reason. They still sell the P1. Demand must be there.

I void warranties.
Seriously, I bought the P2 NV precisely because I could modify it.
You can install a FLIR camera on the P2. (Not that I could afford one). You won't be able to do this with the Vision or P3.

I can't use a tablet for fpv. I'm an old fart and my eyes are not what they use to be. I need fatshark V2 goggles.
The reflection from the screen is too much for me in sunlight.
P2, 2.4 Ghz control, 5.8 Ghz fpv is good for this.
P3, 5.8 Ghz control, 2.4 Ghz fpv is more friendly to tablet fpv, although one could set up a goggle system.
2.4 Ghz has a greater range than 5.8, I would rather lose my fpv first then control second.
Eventually want to move my fpv to UHF for penetrating trees.

Burn ESC board on a P3 and see what it will set you back. P3 is like a car it has a unitized motherboard Then there the typical salesman there always putting the poor horse behind the cart in other words parts for the P3 are hard to come by.

Maybe as they can't afford the P3 west .Or maybe they like being able to mod them like they like :)

They could very easily afford a P3 as a fully deck out P2 can cost 2k or more but we like to spend money for all the little goodies we can put on these birds.

Totally agree with you Jason .I like to do the mods and it does add up . I guess you don't realize it till you stand back and just really look what you have done
Looking at mine now with the antennas and RPG and the switch to V3 I have more in it than a P3P !.

Not to mention Groundstation for waypoint flying.
I have learned a lot from modding my P2. There's something about choosing your own FPV solution, installing it including the IOS-D for telemetry, switching it on and seeing the remote view from the drone.
I happen to like the GoPro as a camera too, and of course GoPro are now bringing in that site where users can sell GoPro clips.
Don't underestimate the P2, it can be a very stable camera platform.

Reactions: CajunPhantom
One thing owners of P3's don't seem to realize GoPro's are not stuck with fisheye as it's simple to replace the lens. But to be trueful both cameras have good points and bad. The worst part is the P3 owners cannot remove the camera and use it else where. OH WELL!!

People might want to use a GoPro camera instead of the build in phantom camera

This is why I went with a P2 NV. I suppose I could have returned the GoPro to supplement a P3, but I didn't want to get rid of it, only because I'll have uses for it other than the P2. With the P3 I'm stuck with having it on the unit.

Looking forward to learning about all the mods you can do with it... just got mine yesterday.. :)

This is why I went with a P2 NV. I suppose I could have returned the GoPro to supplement a P3, but I didn't want to get rid of it, only because I'll have uses for it other than the P2. With the P3 I'm stuck with having it on the unit.

Looking forward to learning about all the mods you can do with it... just got mine yesterday.. :)
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your new Phantom.

Let us know if you need any help or advice.

if you crash and damage gopro or gimbal, each are replaceable, separately.

with the P3 i believe you have to buy them as a unit...

and you can upgrade the gopro as new cameras come out...

Not to mention Groundstation for waypoint flying.
I have learned a lot from modding my P2. There's something about choosing your own FPV solution, installing it including the IOS-D for telemetry, switching it on and seeing the remote view from the drone.
I happen to like the GoPro as a camera too, and of course GoPro are now bringing in that site where users can sell GoPro clips.
Don't underestimate the P2, it can be a very stable camera platform.

tel me more about this gopro site

One thing owners of P3's don't seem to realize GoPro's are not stuck with fisheye as it's simple to replace the lens. But to be trueful both cameras have good points and bad. The worst part is the P3 owners cannot remove the camera and use it else where. OH WELL!!

In another thread you mentioned using Gopro Studio to get rid of it.
I had downloaded it already but hadn't figured out how to do it.
It works really well, what a difference. :cool:

i always run my files through gopro studio first.

to remove fisheye and to apply a little modified pro-tune to my colors...

In another thread you mentioned using Gopro Studio to get rid of it.
I had downloaded it already but hadn't figured out how to do it.
It works really well, what a difference. :cool:

In the advanced settings you'll find remove fisheye check box check it along with your other settings and hit ok. It's simple enough. Now if you're going to finish editing your clips in another program change the file format to AVI instead of MOV. Reason for doing this is that your footage is already highly compressed and AVI is a non-lossy (compression) format. Of course if you are going completely edit in GP Studio then use MOV but keep in mind the more time you compress video the less information you'll have to work with.

Reactions: Marlin009

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl