Who here is a certified pilot?

Reaction score
Just curious, but who on this forum is an FAA certified pilot? I am a retired commercial pilot with CFI and IFR ratings, but it's been seven years since I last flew. The Phantom and FPV is how I get my "high" these days.

Not a pilot, and not certified, but have soloed in gliders and spent 10 years flying military flight simulators (as part of my job) in the UK in the 80s/90s.

I got my private in about 1985. In 1983 I bought a used Scorpion helicopter for $650. It had some damage. I repaired the damage but never flew it. I sold it to a guy and with the money bought a 1973 Cessna 150 a month later cash in annual. I took my lessons in that and got my license. No ifr rating though. After my first solo, I could fly all I wanted within 25 miles I believe. That was fun.

Did the PPL in 2004 in San Diego. Logged about 60+ hours in total mostly in 172s. I was going to do the CAA conversion as I was living mostly in London at the time but never got around to it. I blame the weather.

I got my private in 87. Checked out in Cessna 150/152/172, Piper Warrior and Archer, Aerospatiale Tobago and Trinidad. Waiting on the FAA for my check ride with the Phantom 2. ;)

I was based at a small strip. One day I was doing touch and gos. As I came in a bunch of cows had wandered onto the runway. After a couple of very low passes, I scared them away. No idea how they ended up on the runway.

Used to hold a CMEL. Once upon a time an airshow pilot as well. Time in warbirds too. Lost my medical so my flying now
is with my Phantoms.

Earned my Private ticket for SEL back in 1976, added glider by aero tow endorsement in 1990 and SEL taildragger sign-off in 1995. Flew tow plane for the glider club I belonged to for a few years, lots of fun in a 1953 Piper Super Cub, Lycoming 150 hp with a climb prop. Now I fly RC.

David

Steve, I'm not a licensed pilot but I did fly a cessna 150 for 30 minutes.
Before we landed, the pilot asked me if I had ever flown before. Nope.

I had been reading quite a bit because back then I wanted to become a commercial pilot.
One thing I had read about was what I tried on that short flight.
A flat, level 360.
I kept my eye on the horizon, and watched the level indicator.
They say the real trick is to make a tight as turn as you can so you wind up in your own wake.

Private 89

Suwaneeguy said:
They say the real trick is to make a tight as turn as you can so you wind up in your own wake.
That's exactly what the DFE (Designated Flight Examiner) wants to see (feel) when you are performing a turn about a point. On a no-wind day and a perfect 360 turn, you will run into your own wing vortices. Spins are fun, too, but that's another topic.

Got my SEL ticket in 1996. Flew a PA-28-181 (3024C) until about 4 years ago. Had a medical issue (resolved), but just never went back. Time interfered. Just didn't have the time to stay proficient enough to satisfy myself.

Then along comes the Phantom. Thoroughly enjoying flight again. I will get back in the cockpit, once the kids are off to college and free time is readily available.

Avid right seat to several business partners, which obviated my need to own an aircraft and get PPL and type certificates. Many fun hours in right seat of 172s, 180s, 152s, Citation 2, Pilatus PC12, and in back seat of Dornier Alphajet, L39, and Super Decathlon (all-time fav!), and front seat of aerobatic glider, and only seat of various hang gliders. Now with five dependents, happy to have both feet on the ground, and both thumbs having all the fun...

Kelly

Hughie said:
Not a pilot, and not certified, but have soloed in gliders and spent 10 years flying military flight simulators (as part of my job) in the UK in the 80s/90s.

Completely forgot - that I once got a two hour trip in the back seat of an RAF Hawk, where I was allowed to play about. The pilot would not let me attempt take off or landing though.

I think he mentioned something about me probably burning out an ESC or something .... :D

I'm not. Looks like some useful knowledge in the PPL, but it does not seem appropriate for small quads like the Phantom. So, the FAA is going to force operators to get their PPL and THEN they'll have to take additional training to learn how to really fly a quad for commercial purposes.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl