Who flys in the winter?

You guys are really making me feel bad ! Stuck 000's miles from home working - no model to fly .....

But really nice to see people get out there and show how great winter can be through the lense.

Cheers and Happy Xmas to all ...

Nigel

Took my Phantom out today, was 13F with -3 below windchill it flew fine, just my fingers started to sting less than 10 minutes in so I had no choice but to cut the flight short.

I've been experimenting, flew yesterday at 2 degrees fahrenheit. ( That's -16.6667 centigrade) The craft and battery are warm from the inside temps before flight. Only 10 minute flights. I make sure that before I return inside, I place the drone in a small plastic garbage bag. This will prevent condensation in the inside and corrosion. I learned this from cold weather astronomy. VERY IMPORTANT to prevent circuit shorts and gremlins!

Last edited:
25 degrees F this morning. Worked great!
IMG_1482337278.351630.jpg
IMG_1482337292.101270.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

DJI_0389-HDR.jpg

This from today's morning at -29C. No problems with quad. Two things to consider though:
* Fully charge mobile device used as screen. It took 10 minutes for Galaxy S2 tablet to go from 30% to 1% charge, also on low battery it seems to go into power saving mode, reducing performance and making video feed almost unusable
* Start and warm up your car periodically, we couldn't start it today without another car as a power source.

View attachment 72642

This from today's morning at -29C. No problems with quad. Two things to consider though:
* Fully charge mobile device used as screen. It took 10 minutes for Galaxy S2 tablet to go from 30% to 1% charge, also on low battery it seems to go into power saving mode, reducing performance and making video feed almost unusable
* Start and warm up your car periodically, we couldn't start it today without another car as a power source.
Where is this??

Today was -15C with a further -2C wind chill ............... frozen river ... etc.

Excellent flight. Argtec did its stuff with solid 1km raduis area flight ...

>>>>

Video still uploading so please be patient !! Interesting soundtrack ... just to be different !

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart