Who flies out-of-the-box stock, & why?

Got my P4P about 2 weeks ago. The only thing I would like to do is get landing gear extenders. Would like it a little higher off the ground for takeoff and landing. My son wants me to get the landing gear with floats so it can land in water. I keep telling him this is Arizona. What water? LOL

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Actually there's one small mod I want to try in summer at some lakes. I want to try using the drone with the coat hanger trick for casting light fishing tackle further than I can with a rod.

Love it!!! The thought of using it for casting... I have two boys that love fishing, they'd get a kick out of that! But what's the coat hanger trick?!!

I have the P3S and so far intend to keep it standard. I'm happy enough with the distance & use it to get a few pics, which I'm happy enough with. I bought it as something else to do in the crap winter months, as I have a motorbike for the summer months. If I want more range I could always buy a P3A or P3P.

Love it!!! The thought of using it for casting... I have two boys that love fishing, they'd get a kick out of that! But what's the coat hanger trick?!!
There's threads on it. Basically upside down coat hanger attached to the legs with the hook facing backwards and down. Make a loop in the line 6 feet from the hook/weights, attached to the coat hanger. Fly it out over the lake spooling the line, then do a 180 yaw and gently real in the line so it comes off the coat hanger hook.

A couple of guys have actually caught small fish with phantoms but knowing my luck that would be the time when I caught the monster record breaking trout or something LOL

Got my P4P about 2 weeks ago. The only thing I would like to do is get landing gear extenders. Would like it a little higher off the ground for takeoff and landing. My son wants me to get the landing gear with floats so it can land in water. I keep telling him this is Arizona. What water? LOL

Me too... got some... easily removable. I won't really even consider that a mod, and I too am considering the waterstrider water landing skids. That's just smart, not necessarily a "mod"!

Actually there's one small mod I want to try in summer at some lakes. I want to try using the drone with the coat hanger trick for casting light fishing tackle further than I can with a rod.

You Tube'd it... I wouldn't duct tape it around the bird like the one I saw, but otherwise that's easy enough!

Stone Stock P4. Just hitting 100 hours total time on it.

About a dozen real RTH encounters but other than that, no problems with the stock machine.

AD

I have the P3S and so far intend to keep it standard. I'm happy enough with the distance & use it to get a few pics, which I'm happy enough with. I bought it as something else to do in the crap winter months, as I have a motorbike for the summer months. If I want more range I could always buy a P3A or P3P.

I thought it would be more fun in the winter than it has been... but it's been COLD, and one winter video in a suburb looks the same as the next!

I don't mind, I'm using the time to learn, but I'll be anxious for summer!

Reactions: grin factor
Yes, that.

I plan on doing a lot of over-the-water flying his summer, and I'd like to be sure the signal is as strong as possible, but that said I also know the stock signal is strongest without obstructions and I don't even know yet if I'll have a problem.

Because my needs are specific, I am wondering if the ArgTEK is better since it can be less directional that DBS, so again, it stays stock until I am sure.

So... stock it will stay for now.

You'll find signal is much better over water just by being over water. My P3P* distance record is 3.6km/2.2 miles over land and about 4.85km/3 miles over the ocean.

* P3P with Skyreat parabolic reflectors and whispered prayers.

You'll find signal is much better over water just by being over water. My P3P* distance record is 3.6km/2.2 miles over land and about 4.85km/3 miles over the ocean.

Understood. You'll have to forward the name of the appropriate deity.

Haven't done any mods since my P2V+, but my old P1 had folding, Carbon Fiber landing gear. I still have the kit and it's transferable to P2s and P3s, maybe P4s.
Phantom 1 landing gear.JPG

Reactions: Andy Ritchie

I got this, but I don't really consider it a mod, half the time I forget to even put it on!
f908dc0dac01fe94d4c19a1916cf13fe.jpg

It's funny how you see that some people spend lots of money on rangeextenders but than the odd simple original works still better
Sure strong signal a specially video feed its good to have but in the end you restricted by your batteries
For me the windsurfers will do the job other than that for longer missions I use the litchi app
Hey there is that thrill when you lose all connection
And than happiness is setting in when your bird returns ![emoji3]

Reactions: Clipper707
I spent a bit on range extenders (FPVLR) for my P2V+. They worked but were a bit fragile in the field. My Plus never seemed capable of outflying her battery range. In that respect, she was quite disappointing, like an Asian student bringing a B on his report card home to the parents.

My P3P is my straight-A student. No mods necessary.

It's funny how you see that some people spend lots of money on rangeextenders but than the odd simple original works still better
Sure strong signal a specially video feed its good to have but in the end you restricted by your batteries
For me the windsurfers will do the job other than that for longer missions I use the litchi app
Hey there is that thrill when you lose all connection
And than happiness is setting in when your bird returns ![emoji3]
That is the coolest feeling. You're like ok, I know it's turning round and coming back any second, ok any time now, ok whew re-connected :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT