Who flies out-of-the-box stock, & why?

My p4 is commercially registered and absolutely stock. The only thing I do differently is litchi. Being a home inspector, my ac is always right in front of me. So, I don't require much distance added to stock.
The p3s that I use for fishing has the little piece of coat hanger installed on it, so I can drop baits. But, that's it.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
My p4 is commercially registered and absolutely stock. The only thing I do differently is litchi. Being a home inspector, my ac is always right in front of me. So, I don't require much distance added to stock.
The p3s that I use for fishing has the little piece of coat hanger installed on it, so I can drop baits. But, that's it.

We'll let you off with the fishing hook as still being "stock"... assuming you didn't drill or screw anything to the bird!

I'm guessing you use it to check roofs? Is it helpful for you?

I thought of something else I'm interested in. FPV glasses like the BT-300 that are starting to ship. Very pricey and people are having issues with android OS. MOVERIO Smart Glasses | Epson US

I'd like to try them before laying out that kind of cash but could see how they would make the experience totally different.

Last edited:
We'll let you off with the fishing hook as still being "stock"... assuming you didn't drill or screw anything to the bird!

One of the first things I did with my P4 was to check my roof (3 story house). Absolutely cool and useful, but I was very nervous at the time from inexperience. Now some of my neighbors want me to check theirs!

One of the first things I did with my P4 was to check my roof (3 story house). Absolutely cool and useful, but I was very nervous at the time from inexperience. Now some of my neighbors want me to check theirs!

That's on the list for sure. I'll wait til the snow melts though! I can easily see that. I'm in a subdivision of single family two story homes and not everyone either has a ladder or knows how to use one... actually I'm the guy they some to when they need one!

Same here, want to see my roof when the white stuff melts! Hey you said earlier you installed the other mount but didn't drill into the RC, how's that working out?

Same here, want to see my roof when the white stuff melts! Hey you said earlier you installed the other mount but didn't drill into the RC, how's that working out?

With an iPad mini, just fine so far!

But...

I didn't get the right one. Rookie mistake. I cheaped out and got an eBay one but it doesn't fold forward like the Inspire one does so it won't fit in my case... I have a new one coming.

I didn't tape or otherwise secure the one I have because I know I'm changing it. I know it would be more secure with the extra bolt but if I like the new one I I may add some heavy duty two sided 3M tape first and see how that goes just for extra rigidity.

I was wondering about putting something on the case so the weight would be distributed by the "leg"

Did you get the 30$ DJI inspire 1?

The truth??

Not yet. For round 2 I looked for the style/design that folds like the Inspire 1 and did the eBay thing again... before I stumbled across the posts that say the imitations "rocket open" instead of the smooth opening OEM DJI one...

So once I get it I'll decide if that one is going to be a keeper... and if not I'll take my lumps and the the proper one.

That's embarrassingly unlike me. I had a weak moment. Twice.

Very useful. I just don't feel like carrying a 28' ladder around or climbing it, either. Some inspectors would rather climb, but that's like preferring a kick in the head, to me. Also, if I can have fun at work, I will.

I will be installing a Gannett release on my fishing drone at some point, though.

Very useful. I just don't feel like carrying a 28' ladder around or climbing it, either. Some inspectors would rather climb, but that's like preferring a kick in the head, to me. Also, if I can have fun at work, I will.

Very much relate. I'm not going to market it, or charge extra for it, I'm simply going to use it as another tool in the collection. I don't think it will ever replace a thorough inspection but it's certainly an excellent first step.

Reactions: aermale
Way too soon for me to start modding ,been flying only a year,,I want to learn my bird completely,,when I can fly it in my sleep ,,then maybe I'll
Stat modding,,all things can benefit from a good tweaking.

Way too soon for me to start modding ,been flying only a year,,I want to learn my bird completely,,when I can fly it in my sleep ,,then maybe I'll
Stat modding,,all things can benefit from a good tweaking.

That was my intention when I got it. I have to admit there are a lot of pretty functional, interesting mods out there, and I'm relatively technically minded enough that they would be fun to try, but...

Very much like you I'd like to give it a year. I really wanted to see who else has the restraint... the varying opinions are interesting and helpful!

I'll let you all know if I ever get it flying ..... its new and I am having a learning curve through all the calibrations and stuff.

I chose a P2 because I am more fascinated with the aerodynamics and flying characteristics than getting video. Not saying I won't hang a camera on it someday, but I'd like to low level precision stuff - get really good at handling the thang . Maybe even rig up a way to do a "toss" into a bucket with ping pong ballls or something. I have a couple of fields to play in.

I'll let you all know if I ever get it flying ..... its new and I am having a learning curve through all the calibrations and stuff.

I chose a P2 because I am more fascinated with the aerodynamics and flying characteristics than getting video. Not saying I won't hang a camera on it someday, but I'd like to low level precision stuff - get really good at handling the thang . Maybe even rig up a way to do a "toss" into a bucket with ping pong ballls or something. I have a couple of fields to play in.

Awesome! Good luck, and have fun with it!

I genuinely believe the fun I'm having is equally split between the photography and the flying, which makes for a great hobby. There have been a number of times I've flown that I realized when I got back that I hadn't taken a picture or started video and didn't care... But I know other times will be all about bringing back the images.

Let us know how you make out and never be shy to ask if you need help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20