Who actually calibrates their compass before every flight?

I calibrated mine once since I bought it (back in July '15) and have been flying without issues, alerts or warnings.

I've flown it at different locations ranging from a couple miles away to as far as 100 miles away (from original cal. location) without any problems.

I do check the values in the GO app to make sure they're between 1500-1600.

Does anyone actually recal before every flight??
I do .Just another reason to make sure all is good before flying

Hmm so I've learned something new and I'm happy this thread got repeated again because now I will definetly not calibrate the compass every time...

Feeling like an idiot, but it's for a good cause so thank you OP for this thread!

Reactions: Oso and 0DRK3RT
I found it interesting that it is advisable to recalibrate after adding external equipment (such as external batteries), which could potentially alter the compass footprint of the aircraft.

If you crashed it I'm sure DJI could look and see it wasn't calibrated, even if it had nothing to do with it. DJI could use that against you for warranty purposes. They have horrible customer service and I'm sure would have no prob denying it because of that reason. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I found it interesting that it is advisable to recalibrate after adding external equipment (such as external batteries), which could potentially alter the compass footprint of the aircraft.

That would depend on the electromagnetic radiation being emitted from the extra equipment. I would never put any metallic object near the compass, such as batteries. If close enough they could potentially really screw things up

That would depend on the electromagnetic radiation being emitted from the extra equipment. I would never put any metallic object near the compass, such as batteries. If close enough they could potentially really screw things up

That is not actually the issue.
Your not really calibrating anything but rather measuring and compensating for the on-board distortions when doing the 'dance'.

By rotating the quad in two axis you can cancel all the distortion created by nearby ferrous items that rotate WITH the quad.

Consider this...
Your quad has 4 motors each with 3 coils. When running they become 12 pulsing electromagnets.
Why does this not cause a compass problem as they were not On/running at the time of compensation?..

The paragraph below is from this site:
Compensating for Tilt, Hard-Iron, and Soft-Iron Effects | Sensors

"It is also important to recognize that effective compensation of hard- and soft-iron distortions is dependent upon the distorting material(s) rotating/moving with the sensor. An example would be mounting the sensor in an aircraft; any materials that are part of the aircraft that exhibit a distorting effect would move as the aircraft and mounted sensor move, and it would generally be possible to compensate for the associated hard- and soft-iron effects. In contrast, it is much more difficult—if not impossible—to compensate for distorting effects exhibited by material external to the aircraft/sensor platform. Thus, it is important to understand not only how compensation may be applied, but also to recognize those conditions under which effective compensation techniques are not possible."

No.

Plastics have no effect.

Springs or other ferrous components inside?

EDIT: The point is if you add, remove, or relocate any item on your quad you need to compensate (DJI calibration).
This will negate the distortion created by the metals in those items.

Last edited:
I'll join in with the folks who calibrate only when needed, or after traveling.

In fact, in January, I took my P3P across the country, and completely forgot to recalibrate it, and it flew just fine!

But when I start, I let it hover for a few seconds at about 20 feet, then again at 100, and watch it for drift. Then I do a few easy, short maneuvers, and let it stop again. Then, if all is good, up-up-and-away we go!

Last edited:
Reactions: N017RW
I'll join in with the folks who calibrate only when needed, or after traveling.

In fact, in January, I took my P3P across the country, and completely forgot to recalibrate it, and it flew just fine!

But when I start, I let it hover for a few seconds at about 20 feet, then again at 100, and watch it for drift. Then I do a few easy, short maneuvers, and let it stop again. Then, If all is good, up-up-and-away we go!

I have had the same experience. Took the P3P to CA over 400 mi. away (as the drone flies) and flew it several times without issue, then another 50+ miles to San Clemente for some beach footage. Now back in Tucson and still have not calibrated, including a 2.6 mile flight across the desert.

If you crashed it I'm sure DJI could look and see it wasn't calibrated, even if it had nothing to do with it. DJI could use that against you for warranty purposes. They have horrible customer service and I'm sure would have no prob denying it because of that reason. Just a thought
Your compass calibration doesn't fade or go away after a flight.
Fly again weeks or months later and your compass is still calibrated.

I only calibrate after traveling long distances, like Seattle to Key West or Seattle to Maui. Or, after a firmware update (IMU, controller, batteries etc.). One time it told me to, so I did as well. Other than that, I don't.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I do...calibrate my compass before every flight at a new location. Even at the same location on a different day. Just a habit I have I guess. I know it doesn't necessarily need it but I feel more comfortable doing it. Kind of like OCD.

One time it told me to, so I did as well. Other than that, I don't.
Be careful with that.
You might think the compass is telling you to recalibrate but it probably isn't
When your app gives you a compass error, the wording doesn't say: Calibrate Your Compass.
The full wording is: Compass Error Please Move your Aircraft or Calibrate the Compass
i-3psJrs8-M.png

And almost always the correct action is to move the aircraft as in this example where the P3 is sitting on a car roof with the compass sensor 5 millimetres from the steel roof.
i-3h6Nq8P-M.jpg

When you get a compass error it usually isn't saying that there is a problem with the compass that needs fixing.
The compass is working perfectly well and the app is saying that the compass has detected an error.

If you get a compass error because you are close to a lot of steel or reinforced concrete, calibrating in the area influenced by the magnetic effect of that steel will give you a bad compass calibration which may cause serious issues in flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl