Phantom 4 Compass Calibration

Right. But, if you (and everyone else?) has never seen such a prompt, why even promote this information?

Perhaps this recommendation came about by a badly translated DJI Phantom manual. And, then other DJI employees (and drone owners) read the badly translated manual and started making the same recommendations.
While I have never had such a prompt, I am simply passing along information that is contained on a DJI video and I'm sure that video has been seen by plenty of people.
The end result is that people become confused because DJI has put out conflicting information on this.
I'm not promoting anything, just making people aware.

While I have never had such a prompt, I am simply passing along information that is contained on a DJI video and I'm sure that video has been seen by plenty of people.
Got it.

Maybe I'm just an oddball, but I like to fully understand how things work. I don't like to promote (or "make aware" as you call it) information that does not make sense and/or cannot be proven.

Do you have a P4 aircraft? It seems the newer drones do not require the compass calibrations that were pretty much mandatory with the earlier P2 and P3 aircraft.

No, I have a P3 Pro. I have never seen any sort of calibration prompt, and never calibrate the compass. However, I would if prompted to do so.
I may be tempted if I had traveled overseas, but in the US I leave it alone.
I fly several times a week all over the States as I travel quite a bit with work and take my P3 with me.
Farthest away I’ve been from the last calibration (NH) was Austin TX. No problems there either.

No, I have a P3 Pro. I have never seen any sort of calibration prompt, and never calibrate the compass. However, I would if prompted to do so.
I may be tempted if I had traveled overseas, but in the US I leave it alone.
I fly several times a week all over the States as I travel quite a bit with work and take my P3 with me.
Farthest away I’ve been from the last calibration (NH) was Austin TX. No problems there either.
Glad to hear. I have a P4 and have never had to calibrate its compass either. Although, by going to the Settings, I know how to perform a compass calibration if I was prompted to do so on the DJI GO app.

I did have to perform a IMU calibration the other day. This was the first time I had flown my P4 after getting it back from DJI in California.
It was a new replacement for my other P4 which DJI had told me was 'unrepairable'.
I had sent it to DJI because it was not successfully able to download any updates to its firmware.

Got it.

Maybe I'm just an oddball, but I like to fully understand how things work. I don't like to promote (or "make aware" as you call it) information that does not make sense and/or cannot be proven.
Letting people know about information contained in a DJI video is simply passing information along.
The information in the video makes perfect sense. It said that with the P4 you were not required to perform a compass calibration before every flight UNLESS the DJI GO app told you to do so.

The information in the video makes perfect sense. It said that with the P4 you were not required to perform a compass calibration before every flight UNLESS the DJI GO app told you to do so.
I understand what you're saying. However, DJI GO has never prompted anyone to calibrate the compass (as far as I know). Unless someone else comes along and corrects me, then, no, it makes no sense to advise other people to do the same thing (IMHO of course).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka