Who actually calibrates their compass before every flight?

Exactly. Just like this:
Great post, Meta4
Thanks ... I've been wanting to track that particular video down but couldn't find it.
It's a great example of the potential for problems if you are one of those calibrate-every-flight people.
The idiot didn't notice that the pier was made of steel sheet piling and calibrating within the magnetic influence of all that steel isn't much good when you want to fly up away from the steel.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Two thoughts, observations.
Is it just me or do other people have problems with the actual calibration procedure? The horizontal portion always goes smoothly. But then when I do the vertical component, usually nothing happens until I've done it maybe two or three times. Then the little schematic goes off of the app and everything is ready. Also, the green lights on the drone come on after the horizontal portion but then usually nothing happens after the vertical portion. The manual is unclear on this.

Secondly, is it only the aircraft that can't be near metal? So can I have my controller/iPad on the tailgate of my truck (so I can see it) as long as the aircraft itself is the requisite 9(?) feet away from any metal?

I do it when the Go app calls for it, then check the mod values, then a short test flight.

I do it every location and I use a slightly different technique.. I spin the craft in the recommended orientation on its own axis not moi spinning in a circle.. attracts far less attention and results in a good compass alignment

hzl

I do it every location and I use a slightly different technique.. I spin the craft in the recommended orientation on its own axis not moi spinning in a circle.. attracts far less attention and results in a good compass alignment

hzl

No difference.
The Earths magnetic field is huge so rotating on the quads central axis or yours is less than insignificant.

Reactions: Oso
Two thoughts, observations.
Is it just me or do other people have problems with the actual calibration procedure? The horizontal portion always goes smoothly. But then when I do the vertical component, usually nothing happens until I've done it maybe two or three times. Then the little schematic goes off of the app and everything is ready. Also, the green lights on the drone come on after the horizontal portion but then usually nothing happens after the vertical portion. The manual is unclear on this.

Secondly, is it only the aircraft that can't be near metal? So can I have my controller/iPad on the tailgate of my truck (so I can see it) as long as the aircraft itself is the requisite 9(?) feet away from any metal?
Odd... you should get indicator confirmation lights after horizontal and vertical. Rapid blinking red is what you don't want to see.

To answer your question, it is the drone that needs to be away from metal objects (controller can be wherever).

As noted in the video, even a well calibrated drone will suddenly tell you it needs to be calibrated if on or very near a metal object... Don't calibrate, but rather just move it to a different spot & the warning will go away.

"the 'CC' Dance"

Quick Note: you can turn the craft without moving your body, except the arms of course. This is especially true if you do so before you put the props on, but it's possible even after.

Well, the manual states that after doing the horizontal rotation, the lights will display a solid green. Then they go on to describe the vertical rotation and mention what to do if the lights glow solid red or red and yellow, but no mention that they are supposed to again turn green. They were green already from the horizontal maneuver. Do they go off and then back on again? I'll pay more attention the next time I calibrate it. It is more convenient to just monitor the lights on the aircraft rather than try to make out what's going on on the display screen, which is at least nine feet away on my tail gate

Last edited:
I calibrate before every flight. If i remember correctly the youtube dji tutorial videos say to always calibrate. The only time the calibration didnt complete successfully in my case thus far was when i was too close to a vehicle.

Im quite new to Phantom and seem to be having problems with calibration.
I can fly in the same area as I did in the morning and then get a compass error message and have to recalibrate.

It fails saying that there is too much electro magnetic interference but im in the middle of nowhere.

So i move a few hundred metres away....same thing.

Then I wondered....could it be due to the spare tablet in my case that I launch the phantom from? The warning message only seemed to come on when I put the phantom on the case after calibration appeared successful....is it really that sensitive or is this pure coincidence?

Then I wondered....could it be due to the spare tablet in my case that I launch the phantom from? The warning message only seemed to come on when I put the phantom on the case after calibration appeared successful....is it really that sensitive or is this pure coincidence?
The compass will respond to steel objects depending on their size and their distance away.
If you put a tablet sized object very close to the compass in the leg of your Phantom, it could well set it off.
It would be very easy to test and find out.

I calibrate before each and every flight, and ensure that I'm well away from anything that can affect the compass when I do so.

That said there is no need to do so as the likes of 'Tom's Teatime' and Simon Newton on 'On the kitchen table' YouTube publishers, among others, reinforce that there is only a need to do so after updating the firmware, after a long time since your last flight, or flying a long way from where you usually fly - but I recalibrate regardless as a minute of my time may well prevent a flyaway!

That said there is no need to do so .... but I recalibrate regardless as a minute of my time may well prevent a flyaway!
That's a common belief among the calibrate-every-time crowd.
If calibrating is good, more calibration must be better.
It's nothing more than superstition and as the drone gods don't honour your ritual, it is actually less safe.
It's all explained multiple times throughout this thread.
Unnecessary recalibration of your compass won't prevent a flyaway.
Understand what compass calibration is and when it's needed and you'll fly safer.

As Meta4 suggested I re-read the thread and, I admit, I learned some stuff - albeit some of which was way too "high-brow" and "techie" for most!

The consensus is fairly consistent re the need to re-calibrate as several contributors re-affirm what I wrote above re only re-calibrating after firmware updates, etc. I have chosen to do so each time I take my P3P out to fly it.

Meta4 said -"If calibrating is good, more calibration must be better." - no-one said that or even implied it!
"It's nothing more than superstition and as the drone gods don't honour your ritual" - this comment I find rather insulting as it implies that I, and the many others who re-calibrate each time (as per the replies to this thread), have not considered the alternatives and are merely acting out of fear of what may happen. Tut-tut!

This thread just reminded me that it's been almost 3 months I did last calibrate my P3. Maybe more.

but I recalibrate regardless as a minute of my time may well prevent a flyaway!
Your bird won't fly away if the compass is not calibrated, you'll always have control of the craft. However, it won't fly straight. Also if you hit return to home it won't take the shortest path back to you but rather more of a large arc.... so ya best have enough battery remaining.

Reactions: feethea

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie