Which drone to use scouting for hunting.

Reaction score
My GF is getting herself the p3s. I want to use it to scout while duck hunting. I would only use if to go about 50-100 yards up in the air and about 150-300yards away (distance). Would it be worth it to talk her up trying to sale her on the p3a? She only wants it to get nice photos nothing special. Would it work for both of us? Is the advanced worth the extra 300.00? I dont see us wanting it for anything further.

Also has anyone one had experience with,New Leaf PLUS - 3 Year Drones Service Plan with Accidental Damage Coverage (for Drops & Spills).??

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Depends on the cost for the service plan. May be an option since crashing the camera drone can get expensive in a hurry...especially if you have to pay someone else to do the work.

You might want to look seriously at the P3A. The price is fantastic right now and the radio will transmit considerably further and higher. You also have more camera controls on the RC so you don't have to use the DJI GO app to control everything...

My GF is getting herself the p3s. I want to use it to scout while duck hunting. I would only use if to go about 50-100 yards up in the air and about 150-300yards away (distance). Would it be worth it to talk her up trying to sale her on the p3a? She only wants it to get nice photos nothing special. Would it work for both of us? Is the advanced worth the extra 300.00? I dont see us wanting it for anything further.

Also has anyone one had experience with,New Leaf PLUS - 3 Year Drones Service Plan with Accidental Damage Coverage (for Drops & Spills).??
So it's legal to scout game with a drone? What state allows that?

They aren't exactly quiet. It won't scare the ducks away ? I have a p3p, I don't have experience with the other models to know if it would be good for your application.

I just entered into a contract with Neary Aerial. Seems pretty well priced

Fl has no laws not allowing drones for scouting it as far as I no.

I'm to worried if they would scare them. Its going to be preseason scouting next year.

My GF is getting herself the p3s. I want to use it to scout while duck hunting. I would only use if to go about 50-100 yards up in the air and about 150-300yards away (distance).
The Phantoms (and pretty well all other drones) have extremely wideangle lenses.
You'd be able to find a lake but you wouldn't see ducks unless you were right on top of them but they ducks would have flown well before then.
It's not a very good machine for what you want.

Most states don't allow flying and hunting on the same day. Meant for airplanes but most states have interpreted or clarified the law to includes drones.

Reactions: Fat Daddy
as far as my research goes there is no laws in florida that restricts drones/airplanes while hunting.

Reactions: BigPig
In my experience (did some work for a land conservancy that allowed duck hunting in a wetlands area) that quads are much too noisy and almost all birds will fly off (way too noisy!) unless you are at about 150-200 feet. I do not condone sport hunting, but in this case the conservancy has preserved a few thousand acres in return for a very modest and short season of duck hunting... this is the only reason I did the work. But to answer your question, I'm not sure quads in general are a good resource for scouting.

I have never flown a standard but the P3A/P3P is not quiet enough to sneak up on anything (in case that was your intent). I am not a hunter but I use mine quite frequently to check out the deer as they move towards the fields a little before dusk. As soon as the leaves come back that will be impossible though.

@ dtokez You must be a vegan. I am more humane then 99% of the "farms" that raise animals in horrible conditions and so on. I never said I killed animals for fun. I eat what I kill.

I'm trying to find the birds not hunt them on the same day. I'm not trying to not scare them. Its been a couple of hard year here duck hunting and trying to figure out if there moving further out in the marsh. It would be a lot easy to maneuver and cover more ground with a drone.

Im not trying to start a moral/law/vegan discussion I'm honestly looking for people to answer my main questions here.

How far will the drone go?
Is the advanced worth the extra money for what I am going to use it for?
Has anyone had any experiance with the warranty/insurance newleaf?

It matters not whether you're a vegan or rampant carnivore, a Phantom might be good for finding lakes but next to useless for finding ducks.

I have had no problem finding birds in ponds with mine (not to hunt) and they have no seemed bothered by noise at 100 feet.

How far will the drone go?
Is the advanced worth the extra money for what I am going to use it for?
You can compare the specs between the P3S and P3A here. If you're only going to use it for the distance you mentioned above, then the P3S will be just fine.

Or just quit killing animals for fun and use the drone as it was intended

You do realize that regulated hunting helps animals right? Maybe do a little research before you make uneducated comments.

I don't recall getting the manual that tells me exactly what my drone was intended for. Can you tell me exactly what it is intended for? My best guess would be that it is intended for hobbyists and photographers that like to take pictures and videos of Objects.....Any object or objects....Ducks and Ponds are objects...If it's not okay to take pictures of animals, what techniques do you recommend to ensure no living animals are accidentally captured in pictures or video when you fly your drone? I wouldn't want to accidentally fly over a herd of turtles while flying over a wetland and capture them in my video...that would be terrible.

The Phantoms (and pretty well all other drones) have extremely wideangle lenses.
You'd be able to find a lake but you wouldn't see ducks unless you were right on top of them but they ducks would have flown well before then.
It's not a very good machine for what you want.

This is a good point. You're not gonna be able to see the ducks. Even in ideal conditions your live video feed isn't going to be crystal clear 720p plus there will be glare unless you use goggles. I'm thinking yes get the P3A to use and enjoy but if your primary use case is to scout for ducks you will not be satisfied.

You're not gonna be able to see the ducks. Even in ideal conditions your live video feed isn't going to be crystal clear 720p plus there will be glare unless you use goggles.
It should be clear enough to download and view the video from a computer -- if viewing in real-time is not a requirement.

I think P3a would work fine in Florida for scouting. Not sure about ducks but I'm betting you could. Ranchers in New Mexico use them to check on cattle. Yeah I'm guessing these could be used for a number of things. As long as you aren't breaking the law I don't see a problem with it.

Oh and Disregard the judgmental remarks that add nothing to the discussion. There is a lot of that in here.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl