Which drone to use scouting for hunting.

I consider my drone to be no different then a game camera. I don't have hunting equipment with me when I fly.... so I don't think it will be a issue. I love to scout and see what is on my land. I went P3P, but P3A would be fine.

The hardest part is spotting them on a tablet. I have had more luck going over areas I know animals are prone to be, and see then on computer after flight. This is in part of flying high and trying to avoid spooking the game off.

Below are two video's of me being able to spot deer with a P3P. It's a heck of a fun time spotting them. Even if you don't hunt them it is great footage.

Two deer in the morning:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Two deer at sunset:

So it's legal to scout game with a drone? What state allows that?
When I hunted bear in Montana, it was not legal to hunt the same day you flew. I doubt that any Fish and Game departments have regulations (yet) regarding use of drones. But let's not push them.
Regarding the use to scout for ducks-- forget it. The camera has such a wide angle lens that it would be difficult to see ducks on water from 50 feet.
Also, beware that most states prohibit the use of motorized vehicles to push or "harass" game. I'm not sure if the game warden would use that law to apply to flying a drone closely over game, but he/she could.
That said, I plan to use mine to monitor the wildlife on my ranch during the winter while the leaves are off the trees.

My GF is getting herself the p3s. I want to use it to scout while duck hunting. I would only use if to go about 50-100 yards up in the air and about 150-300yards away (distance). Would it be worth it to talk her up trying to sale her on the p3a? She only wants it to get nice photos nothing special. Would it work for both of us? Is the advanced worth the extra 300.00? I dont see us wanting it for anything further.

Also has anyone one had experience with,New Leaf PLUS - 3 Year Drones Service Plan with Accidental Damage Coverage (for Drops & Spills).??
DUCK.jpg

Good example of what I want to try. Off season management counts that go to our State Biologist. I have tried walking, truck and mule and just get glimpse of a tail or two. My counts don't match my game cam surveys so I know I am spooking them before I get where I can see the areas where they feed. I would love to sit in a blind more but it is hard enough finding time for that in season.

Using a Quadcopter to hunt/scout for ducks. If I was hunting there I would suggest that you train your dog to retrieve a drone cause I would blow that Motherfuc..out of the air if it came near my blind. If no one understands they do not duck hunt. WTF???????? Why arent you all blasting him on this, this is exactly why the fuc...FAA is hunting. My Lord Jesus

Using a Quadcopter to hunt/scout for ducks. If I was hunting there I would suggest that you train your dog to retrieve a drone cause I would blow that Motherfuc..out of the air if it came near my blind. If no one understands they do not duck hunt. WTF???????? Why arent you all blasting him on this, this is exactly why the fuc...FAA is hunting. My Lord Jesus

Gunny Papa: do you need to change your name to Grumpy Papa?
The rest of us are trying to discuss and point out the laws and ethics of what jpatz is considering in a mature and emotionally controlled manner.

Reactions: huntjock
Don't know about ducks but have flown a bit in Texas, looking for game (with very limited success) I have a P3A and have learned;
1) Realtime video is't quite good enough to identify animals unless you know pretty much where to look.
2) So I send the bird out and have to view the recorded video looking for movement.
3) Deer run from the noise, doesn't seem to bother pigs.
4) I don't know about the standard but would think you would want the range and video quality of lightbridge.

It's so comforting to know that someone with a level head like yours owns a gun

Adding to the list of things I've learned:
5) Don't fly, while the deer hunters are in the blinds. Again it's surprising loud and spooks the deer. You sure aren't going to make you any friends.

Deer rifle is one thing, but a shotgun is a totally different story. I wouldn't even think of flying unless you've cleared it with those involved and know that's it's cool with EVERYONE. My limited success has been finding pigs during the mid day while there isn't anyone in a blind.

Reactions: GunnyPapa
I have to tell you, birds in general seem unimpressed with my drone. They fly so close to my drone it scares me sometimes. Mostly seagulls, but what's the difference? :) seagulls aren't scared of much though.

In Washington there's laws agains using drones and hunting on the same day. But you can have an operator and a hunter I would suppose? As long as the guy hunting doesn't fly the drone?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Who's to say someone's not just flying the area to be flying? My brother has about 250 acres of property that's in a wetland reserve program and that's where I love to spend my time flying. It has several duck ponds on it. I couldn't see a ducks or geese if I wanted to on the FPV from several hundred feet up. I don't try...I'd hate to get one tangled in a prop.

Here's a picture of a deer while flying about 250 feet up, the shadow gives it away. I never knew it was there till I was going through the pictures later at home. It's in several pictures and never spooked the whole time I was flying in the area

Two words THERMAL CAMERA! Flir Baby!

I've spotted a few deer with my go pro fpv setup before, but never seen a bird that i wasn't about to hit or something on any fpv system I've flown

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gunny Papa: do you need to change your name to Grumpy Papa?
The rest of us are trying to discuss and point out the laws and ethics of what jpatz is considering in a mature and emotionally controlled manner.
Seriously you said "ethics". I was pointing out ethics as wells as common sense using a drone for hunting. I was just pointing out that this would most likely happen from hunters who either figure it out or think that it's DNR/Game Wardens.

Reactions: LWC1496
Seriously you said "ethics". I was pointing out ethics as wells as common sense using a drone for hunting. I was just pointing out that this would most likely happen from hunters who either figure it out or think that it's DNR/Game Wardens.

I'm on your side Gunny

Reactions: GunnyPapa
Your welcome, but you really don't see the big picture here. I was being sarcastic and was pointing out that this will most likely be the outcome of hunting using a drone.

Your welcome, but you really don't see the big picture here. I was being sarcastic and was pointing out that this will most likely be the outcome of hunting using a drone.

If you read the original post you'll see he plans on using it for scouting, not hunting. I hunt many animals, and I fly a P3. Never at the same time, but I use my P3 to look for game trails and other hunting sign when I'm not actually hunting.

Shooting a drone out of the sky would be a crime, actually a felony because of the value of the drone in most states. Convicted felons can not own guns... So good luck with your plan.

Duck hunting?

My daughter was a helicopter scout for a couple years, hunting feral pigs from the air with an AR15. Lots of fun.

Then I just put this in to say thanks to our vets :) We still have a couple family members fighting overseas today...

Scouting with a drone? Sounds like you need to get a P3P so that you can use a large tablet; regardless of what she wants for herself. I was flying with a hawk yesterday, lots of fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31