Which device for good brightness and low latency?

Rip

Reaction score
I know there a ton of old threads about tablets and phones but these threads go out of date quick as new devices become available, so:

I originally bought a brand new Samsung Tab A6 10.1" to go with my P3A but it can be quite laggy at times and sometimes looses video signal completely, sometimes even at less than 100ft away. Also this tablet is a little too big for the controller and I struggle to see the screen at all in the sun, even with a sunshade.

No I haven't tried all the recommended android settings as I've started using this tablet for other things now so don't really want to have to keep faffing around with settings every time I want to go fly.

I've also tried my iPhone 6 and again the video can get choppy at short distances and the screen is really bad in the sun as I have a tempered glass protector fitted which is apparently really shiny and reflective.

So now I'm thinking I probably need a device exclusively for the P3A, I don't want to spend too much and I want to buy something used. So far I've seen a lot of love for these 3:

Nvidia Shield K1
Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
LG G5

The Nvidia would be around £200 used and is supposed to have low latency, but how bright is the screen?

The Nexus 7 would be around £130 used, I don't know much else about it other than on paper the screen isn't super bright, what's the latency like?

The LG G5 would be about £200 used and is supposed to be super bright (somewhere around 800nits IIRC?), but again how is the latency?

Are there any other (cheaper) options currently available that perform well? Obviously I don't want to spend out too much if I don't have to.

I know there a ton of old threads about tablets and phones but these threads go out of date quick as new devices become available, so:

I originally bought a brand new Samsung Tab A6 10.1" to go with my P3A but it can be quite laggy at times and sometimes looses video signal completely, sometimes even at less than 100ft away. Also this tablet is a little too big for the controller and I struggle to see the screen at all in the sun, even with a sunshade.

No I haven't tried all the recommended android settings as I've started using this tablet for other things now so don't really want to have to keep faffing around with settings every time I want to go fly.

I've also tried my iPhone 6 and again the video can get choppy at short distances and the screen is really bad in the sun as I have a tempered glass protector fitted which is apparently really shiny and reflective.

So now I'm thinking I probably need a device exclusively for the P3A, I don't want to spend too much and I want to buy something used. So far I've seen a lot of love for these 3:

Nvidia Shield K1
Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
LG G5

The Nvidia would be around £200 used and is supposed to have low latency, but how bright is the screen?

The Nexus 7 would be around £130 used, I don't know much else about it other than on paper the screen isn't super bright, what's the latency like?

The LG G5 would be about £200 used and is supposed to be super bright (somewhere around 800nits IIRC?), but again how is the latency?

Are there any other (cheaper) options currently available that perform well? Obviously I don't want to spend out too much if I don't have to.
Hi i use tab A6 10/1 ,,works good,,yip it big heavy thing,my remote tablet and maxrange mod weighs in at just over 2kg,brought proper neck sling just to hold weight for me,but good size picture,have no issues with bad light onscreen ,if i do my contrast goes up, vidio settings on 1080/24fps,good recording slow or fast flying,only tablet holder has this glued to it to surport tablet buts holds fine so i left like this
1504727301890646267605.jpg

Hi i use tab A6 10/1 ,,works good,,yip it big heavy thing,my remote tablet and maxrange mod weighs in at just over 2kg,brought proper neck sling just to hold weight for me,but good size picture,have no issues with bad light onscreen ,if i do my contrast goes up, vidio settings on 1080/24fps,good recording slow or fast flying,only tablet holder has this glued to it to surport tablet buts holds fine so i left like thisView attachment 87884
15047275362277956627.jpg

Hmm, I need to do some more testing with my tablet then. So far I've hardly been able to s e the screen and when I do I seem to loose video pretty quick. I'll knock up a better sunshade then and see how it goes.
Yip gota admit lots of settings all over ,,just have your cam on and go through vid and cam settings and find one that wont glitch or lag,bit of muckin around but thats part of setting up,i was going to get ipad but this was cheaper at only $ 600 :eek: i know could have got another drone,good luck you work it out

Yip gota admit lots of settings all over ,,just have your cam on and go through vid and cam settings and find one that wont glitch or lag,bit of muckin around but thats part of setting up,i was going to get ipad but this was cheaper at only $ 600 :eek: i know could have got another drone,good luck you work it out

Can I change the video transmission settings then? Like resolution for example? Can't say I've seen any settings for anything like that.

Also, with the tablet mounted to my controller the tops of my antennas foul on the bottom of the tablet meaning I have to have my antennas pointing down a bit, which causes me to loose both RC and video signal until I tilt the controller up, but with it tilted up I can't see the screen properly?!

I seem to remember having to change the location of my iPhone from UK to US in order to see some image transmission settings BUT I could only change the settings when the channel mode was manual not auto. I want to keep the channel mode in auto so I don't have to manually change channels every time I go out to fly.

Can I change the video transmission settings then? Like resolution for example? Can't say I've seen any settings for anything like that.

Also, with the tablet mounted to my controller the tops of my antennas foul on the bottom of the tablet meaning I have to have my antennas pointing down a bit, which causes me to loose both RC and video signal until I tilt the controller up, but with it tilted up I can't see the screen properly?!
Na no resolution settings have to fo that through app in transmission settings(dj app) yeh had same issue with antenna aswell ,thats why i pull them out and upgrade,range was ok but same alltime i move my tablet it would push antennas out of line,suc,,now tablet sits flat which probly helps with view
1504730103801-1769223216.jpg
now i can go right back like it shoud

Reactions: Rip
I seem to remember having to change the location of my iPhone from UK to US in order to see some image transmission settings BUT I could only change the settings when the channel mode was manual not auto. I want to keep the channel mode in auto so I don't have to manually change channels every time I go out to fly.
Just on the channels even if you on manual it will stay ,on channel you pic,,im on man channel 13,gone off auto,it was finding the interference,,

Na no resolution settings have to fo that through app in transmission settings(dj app) yeh had same issue with antenna aswell ,thats why i pull them out and upgrade,range was ok but same alltime i move my tablet it would push antennas out of line,suc,,now tablet sits flat which probly helps with viewView attachment 87888now i can go right back like it shoud
Ah yeah so you had same problem as me with standard antennas and big tablet!

Just on the channels even if you on manual it will stay ,on channel you pic,,im on man channel 13,gone off auto,it was finding the interference,,

Do you just stay on channel 13 all the time? I thought if I set it to manual I would have to check which channel was strongest in the area I'm in and then set it to that.

Do you just stay on channel 13 all the time? I thought if I set it to manual I would have to check which channel was strongest in the area I'm in and then set it to that.
Yip all the time ,youll know as soon as turned on if interference on your channel then look for clear one,,auto does this for you but not always put you on good channel so thats why i just stay on man,yeh stock antennas big tablet was a pain,when i spyed the maxrange that was me,,can get smaller version .i must say to gettin rid of stock was good move,,dont fly for miles but good to have unenterupted flights short or long,where those stock almost had to aim at drone which bit out there,best of luck and good flying,i gota go work,,aaaaarrrrrgggggg

Reactions: Rip
Galaxy Tab S3 Cellular 9.7", doesn't get hot, great video, 12-15 hours run time, bright enough for me in sunlight, but I try to share it if possible.
No lag, solid video, plug RC in after booted, AC booted and Go 4, pops up with everything linked. Native 4k video , so you can play the 4k after the flight.
Not cheap though, but though Verizon, $25 a month.

Native 4k video , so you can play the 4k after the flight.
Are you saying there's an SC card slot that plays the native video OK, converts to your resolution on the screen? How do you control selecting the video you want? Is there a native player in the S3 that shows all of the file names?

I tried the S3 a long time ago and had bad luck. I mucked with it for a few days, I did the google play removal, hardware decoding, usb debug, all kinds of stuff. I even went custom channel and set the "transmission quality" to 4mbps, but no joy. It was just too laggy, and jerky. So I tried my wife's iPad Mini and that just worked, no settings to muck with, it just worked, so I bought my own and dedicated it to my P3P. Today I fly my Mavic with it, dedicated to that craft, and always attached to the RC. I use iPad Air2 for my P4P and P4, which works great too, however I always look for shade, or use my HiAerial hood. I've even tried a brock-umbrella as well as a clamp on umbrella for my folding chair. I like the clamp in umbrella better than the brock-umbrella (umbrella hat), and I don't look so dorky either.

All displays will have lag, or latency, what matters is how much. There's no such thing as real time video display, even for the analog racers. For DJI digital Lightbridge, the video must be captured in the air, encoded (compressed) at the craft, transmitted to the ground, received by the RC, send to the display device (via USB), decoded by the device, and displayed to the screen. All these steps take time. If you measure the lag it's about 180-220ms (P3A/P, P4P/A), or around a quarter second. But that latency is considered normal and good. Newer DJI lightbridge technology (Lightbridge 2 on M100/200, Ocu-Sync in Mavic) is claiming 50 to 120ms, but I haven't had an opportunity to measure that yet.

Are you saying there's an SC card slot that plays the native video OK, converts to your resolution on the screen? How do you control selecting the video you want? Is there a native player in the S3 that shows all of the file names?

I tried the S3 a long time ago and had bad luck. I mucked with it for a few days, I did the google play removal, hardware decoding, usb debug, all kinds of stuff. I even went custom channel and set the "transmission quality" to 4mbps, but no joy. It was just too laggy, and jerky. So I tried my wife's iPad Mini and that just worked, no settings to muck with, it just worked, so I bought my own and dedicated it to my P3P. Today I fly my Mavic with it, dedicated to that craft, and always attached to the RC. I use iPad Air2 for my P4P and P4, which works great too, however I always look for shade, or use my HiAerial hood. I've even tried a brock-umbrella as well as a clamp on umbrella for my folding chair. I like the clamp in umbrella better than the brock-umbrella (umbrella hat), and I don't look so dorky either.

All displays will have lag, or latency, what matters is how much. There's no such thing as real time video display, even for the analog racers. For DJI digital Lightbridge, the video must be captured in the air, encoded (compressed) at the craft, transmitted to the ground, received by the RC, send to the display device (via USB), decoded by the device, and displayed to the screen. All these steps take time. If you measure the lag it's about 180-220ms (P3A/P, P4P/A), or around a quarter second. But that latency is considered normal and good. Newer DJI lightbridge technology (Lightbridge 2 on M100/200, Ocu-Sync in Mavic) is claiming 50 to 120ms, but I haven't had an opportunity to measure that yet.
The Tab S3, is NOTHING like the Galaxy S3!
I just take out the SD card from the AC and put it in a dongle that plugs into the USB C port, transfer the files to videos, click on one and it plays the 4k video in 4k. Nothing more simple.
Of course there is normal latency, but no stutter or framing, just smooth video.
Plus, it is 15 oz, nice and it fits the RC clamp. Thin, stays cool, runs for ever, charges fast.
Fantastic resolution on the display, for a tablet, heck, for a laptop!

Reactions: Bennaman
So, power up controller, power up aircraft, let them connect, open DJI app and THEN plug device into controller?

So, power up controller, power up aircraft, let them connect, open DJI app and THEN plug device into controller?
Turn on AC, turn on RC, wait for tune to play, Tablet is already on, now plug in the USB from the RC, it will automatically start Go 4, the app loads, everything links, it checks the versions and firmware, clears that and you are ready to fly.

Turn on AC, turn on RC, wait for tune to play, Tablet is already on, now plug in the USB from the RC, it will automatically start Go 4, the app loads, everything links, it checks the versions and firmware, clears that and you are ready to fly.

Weird, I keep reading on the forums about plugging the device in after everything is booted up to apparently reduce lag.

Also, across all other R/C platforms it's usually bad practice to turn a vehicle or aircraft on before turning the transmitter on

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor